Allright, so about two years ago when I was an AC/DC fanatic and was too ignorant to test guitars for actual sound, I bought an Epiphone G-400, which is basically an SG rip-off. Nonetheless, it's still a pretty nice guitar.

The problem is, now that I'm over my Angus Young obsession, I'm finding that it is near impossible to get a blues sound from it without purchasing an expensive tube amp. So, I went to Guitar Center and asked them what they'd recommend for new pickups, and they told me that there was like no selection for that guitar model, because most pickups don't fit into them. So, since I've heard a lot of people say that GC can mess up with pickups and all that jazz, I asked my friend's Dad, who is a professional musician, and he told me that he's never heard of that model type having problems with fitting pickups into them.

So, I'm coming to you as a complete N00b with pickups, and I'm trying to find who is right, Guitar Center, or my friend's Dad.

And any suggestions on how I should go about purchasing pickups would be appreciated as well.

And if ever You come near, I will hold up high a mirror.
Lord, I could never show you anything as beautiful as You.
Well, GC is bull****ting you since any pickup that is a regular humbucker can fit into your guitar. Such things as single coils or P90s (mini-type humbuckers) can't fit, but any regular humbucker should do. I recommend any Gibson humbucker like the 490R and 498T since they can get a pretty good bluesy tone or the Burstbuckers as they are featured in a lot of the higher end Les Pauls and older models.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
you might like seymour duncans, or dimarzio's, i prefer sd's, but that's just my opinion, i like the custom or JB in the bridge, and the jazz or 59 in the neck, if you like those or other pickups, try and find out what guitars have the pickups your looking for and play them, like the guy said bout the gibson hb's, plan a gibson sg, those are stock on it, schecter blackjacks have the jb/59 combo, just try out the ones you think you'll like, some pickup manafactuers have sound clips on their sites, just look around
is that all the suggestions I'm going to get?
And if ever You come near, I will hold up high a mirror.
Lord, I could never show you anything as beautiful as You.
What's your current amp? The amp will affect your ability to get the sound a hell of a lot more than some new pickups will.

Tell us your amp and we can help more.

Also, just because your SG is an Epiphone it doesn't mean it's a knockoff.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Last edited by Xenn99 at Jun 29, 2006,
what about a seymour duncan sh-1 59'? Or the seymour duncan pearly gates pickup. i heard its got good warm bluesy tone. plus with SD you can listen to sound clips on their site. hope i helped you out.
xxx

my rig:
-gibson les paul studio (sh4-bridge)
-peavey valve king 212
-electro-harmonix english muff'n
-roland micro cube
-digitech digidelay
-digitech grunge
-rocktron hush pedal
-fender pedal tuner
^If he's playing through a 10w POS amp, the best pickups on earth won't help him.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar