Hey, I'm a noob when it comes to amps, and I'm in a band finally, so my 15 watt Crate amp will not work anymore lol. At Guitar Center there is a Crate half stack for $499, and a Marshall Stereo Combo for $499 as well. There's also a Marshall Combo for $464. My question is what is the difference between all three of these amps. By the way, I'm going today to try them out, but I just want some information on these amps so I am at least slightly educated when I am trying them out. Thanks in advance.

Stereo
Half Stack
Combo
Originally posted by josephde
i feel like an idiot, so plz don't flame me, but is hendrix still alive?

Quote by orangecake
I incorporate shred and tapping because i am a technical player, not a simple guitarist.

Get away from those amps, they're all shite, really bad for the price.

And stereo will mean it's got 2 speakers I think.

For them prices, look into some valve combos, they'll sound about 40 times better then them amps you listed, dont' just go for amps because they look "cool".
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
a stereo combo just means that instead of the 2 12's running the same mono sound, they run as if they were in seperate cabs so stuff like phasers, delays, and other stuff that pans from left to right sounds cooler
Fender '82 Walnut Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
EHX English Muff'n
Boss DD-6
^^thanks, but what's the difference between a half stack and just a regular, errm, non-half-stack amp?

Quote by orangecake
I incorporate shred and tapping because i am a technical player, not a simple guitarist.

Quote by hendrix513
^^thanks, but what's the difference between a half stack and just a regular, errm, non-half-stack amp?

a non half stack would be a combo, which has the pre amp power amp and speakers in a single box, as opposed the head the head and cab in a half stack
MY gear
Vintage v100 les paul.
POS Ion strat
Vox ad50vt
15 watt practice amp
Ibanez rg570
^Nothing really, except that combo's basically have the head built into them.

And really, look at some better amps than those, for your own sake!

What sounds are you looking for from an amp?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
a half stack has two pieces, the head and the cab. the cab is basically just a speaker, the head is the part you plug into. you connect these two pieces with a speaker cable.

in a combo, it's basically the same thing except they're all in one case and the manufacturer already connected everything for you.

the advantage of a half stack over a combo is that you can take your head and connect it to lots of different cabs, so you have a lot more sound possibilities.
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Nothing really, except that combo's basically have the head built into them.

And really, look at some better amps than those, for your own sake!

What sounds are you looking for from an amp?

I'm looking for 2 channels, versatibilty, doesn't have to have a lot of built in effects, no more than $600 (preferably around $500), and just delivers a powerful tone.

Quote by orangecake

ok technically there's only like one or two REAL stereo heads, and i think they're both ENGL's...(i.e. two different sets of poweramps)....but yeah all of those amps you mentioned are crap