I'm taking up my electric guitar after about 8-10 years away. I guess i was just much less inhibited, still full of demented inspiration. luckily i was smart enough to put down on tape some of my more twisted pieces. when i listen to it, i'm still dumb-founded as to how i got myself into that "space". guess i'm just old now. lulled and sterilized by our modern society. i also used to write a lot of stream-of-consciousness poetry of the most vile and venemous insight and observation of this modern society.

i guess i'm just old now.
Not that I'm old, but I try to write down or record when I think stuff up. It occasionally can surprise me later.
yeah, i need to get an interface for my computer. but they're expensive.
There's an interface called the M-Audio Jam Lab, which I might get. It's actually reasonably priced around 80 online. It was in Guitar One a while ago, so that might be of interest. But for your juice, just improvise like hell and you'll find something deadly cool in some scale you thought was tired and stale.
A 15 dollar microphone at Best Buy is just as effective. Just record it, date it, tab it, and call it a night :p
Quote by pratt121
A 15 dollar microphone at Best Buy is just as effective. Just record it, date it, tab it, and call it a night :p

yeah, but how do i get record it on to something digital? i want to get it into my computer. cassette tape doesn't last for ever. well nothing does, really. but i'm affraid my little walkman is gonna eat the thing as some point.
Quote by cokeisbetter
There's an interface called the M-Audio Jam Lab, which I might get. It's actually reasonably priced around 80 online. It was in Guitar One a while ago, so that might be of interest. But for your juice, just improvise like hell and you'll find something deadly cool in some scale you thought was tired and stale.

i saw an ad for an m-audio fast tracks on craigslist.com so i googled it to see if there were any reviews... well, zzsound(?) had some reviews, and they weren't too glowing.
^ if you want good answers to recording questions, i would try the main riffs and recordings forum. there are quite a few knowledgable people who often go in there who will help you find a good set up. as for the fast track, i have one and it works very well. i take every review i read online with a grain of salt because either the writer loves the thing, or hates it, with very few people in between. especially with recording where a lot of people dont know how to get good results so blame the equiptment, i dont place a ton of faith in reviews.

um, as for what kind of things you could do to record, you have a number of options that shouldnt break the bank. one being to get a cable that allows you to plug the guitar straight into the line input on your computer. wont get the best results but it works for getting stuff down and if you have some knowledge of EQ and effects you can tweak your sound to get something good. second would be to get a cheap mic, run that straight into your computer, and mic your amp. the next option (and best results) would be to get a one input interface and a decent mic, then mic your amp. best results, but obviously most expensive. just save up for a few months so you have the money for the nicer stuff, its worth it once you hear the great sounds you can get with decent gear.
Download "Audacity". It's a free recording program, damn good for free. Get a 1/4 to 1/8 jack converter and put ideas on your computer for the price of the 1/4 in adapter.
Sit down and play. Play in ways you havent before - sweep pick, tap chords, play excusively with harmonics, whammy bar or slide...

Remember, feeling and music maybe connected, but neither has to come first - play until something catches you and then hang onto it.

Recently i've been woodshredding so i know how you feel - but its coming back for me, it should for you.