Poll: How do you vibrato?
Poll Options
View poll results: How do you vibrato?
Down (pulling the string towards the high e string or floor)
5 71%
Up (pushing the string towards the low e string or yourself)
2 29%
Voters: 7.
Ok so I was just wondering... every time I see a video of any guitarist playing live, I always see them vibratoing down (pulling the string towards the floor). And I instinctively vibrato the opposite way, not to mention its a lot easier that way for me. Should I also learn to vibrato down? Anyone else do this??
WHOALASKA!! WHOALASKAAAA!!!
i thought when you vibrato you bring the string up AND down??
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
It's all about feeling dude...let your finger do the talking....up, down, up and down...whatever works for the solo/feel/song etc.
yeah, if i do it i move the string up and down or just..widdle it a it lol...is widdle word :/ OH Wiggle.
To vibrato you just wiggle your finger. To bend wich is what i think you are talking about you can bend any way you like.
Quote by Mcut202
To vibrato you just wiggle your finger. To bend wich is what i think you are talking about you can bend any way you like.

isnt "wiggling" actually called tremolo
Quote by matttt

Tremolo, among guitarists is the fluxuation in volume of a single note or the rapid repetition of a single note. "Guitar" vibrato is "wiggling" your finger up and down (small bends and releases). "Violin" vibrato is sliding your finger side to side within the fret. If you play classical guitar NEVER do guitar vibrato- your teacher will kill you. ^_^;

What you're probably seeing is a habitual movement of the players forearm, wrist, and/or shoulder during the vibrato. It has no purpose, but it's a habit players develop often like the "wah" face.
Quote by matttt

In french tremolo is the word for vibrato or something like that, somehow that managed to create a mixup and I've got know idea how it got onto bridges (I think its Mr Fender's fault as his guitars have tremolo bars and his amps have vibrato built into them, when the actual things they do are the opposite)
Quote by NotAJock2Day
"Violin" vibrato is sliding your finger side to side within the fret.

When did you last see a Violin with frets?

Position yes, but there's a difference.
Grant me the power to change what I can.
Grant me the serenity to accept what I cannot change.
Grant me the wisdom to tell the difference.

"I had a hat once.
It was a very fine hat..."
Both?
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by metal4all
i thought when you vibrato you bring the string up AND down??

why would u bring it up and down, its the same thing to just go down and down
meow :3
^It gives a different sound... Or at least in my case it does.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
I normally only do classical vibrato (left to right). This is a true vibrato because it goes up AND down in pitch, not just up. I think it sounds alot better, but it is more subtle so it takes practice to make it more distinguished. However, If I'm doing something like pinch harmonics and such, I may go just up on the fretboard to make it more extreme sounding. Another technique I sometimes throw in there is simply pressing down harder on the string and letting up rapidly, this only works if you have bigger frets, but works well.

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat
Quote by Jakkle

When did you last see a Violin with frets?

Position yes, but there's a difference.

i think he means violin style vibrato, or at least thats what i would assume the quotes around the word violin to mean. hes talking about the two types of vibrato there, and now you look like an idiot for thinking he meant that violins had frets (which he never said or implied).

btw, i do the 'violin' or classical style vibrato. so i guess that puts me with neither up or down. going up or down just feels really awkward to me, so i use the back and forth method.
Question answered. Useless poll. I KNOW this will get out of hand very soon.

*CLOSED*
Looking for my India/Django.