Page 1 of 2
i've noticed that people really love thier epi's around here.
so here's my question:if you had your choice between a high end epi lp or a standard gibson lp which would you choose......and its not about the price tag,its just about playing it. no buying or resale.......and this is just for fun, so no calling anyone retarded.
Uh of course anyone would take a gibson.

Even epiphone fans can agree that their epiphone may be a great guitar it just can't match up to a 2500 dollar guitar.

Though the high end elitist line is better imo than the Gibson les paul studio and classic though just not the standard.

The Les Paul studio is a guitar that is perfect for people who just care about the name on their guitar's headstock.
id DEFINATLY take the standard gibson over an epi. id even take a low end gibson over a hight end epi
i have epis and i love them but i would definetly choose the gibson even a high end epi cant match the power,tone,and quality of a gibson
Quote by Ihearthetfield
Uh of course anyone would take a gibson.
The Les Paul studio is a guitar that is perfect for people who just care about the name on their guitar's headstock.

my ass. maybe you just played a bad one, cus they beat the **** out of any epiphone.
^No, Gibson's quality is going way down. Although I do feel like a better guitarist with a name like that on my headstock for soem reason.
I would definitely go for the Gibson (as you can tell from my name). Better quality (if only by a little bit) except the price.
Leader of the We Hate Squiers Club

PM gibsonsg2006 to join

Jimmy Page
Quote by Ihearthetfield
Though the high end elitist line is better imo than the Gibson les paul studio and classic though just not the standard.

The Studio is just a Standard but without the binding and with less expensive finishes. I don't know if you can hear the difference that makes... I'm guessing you actually mean the Special.
Quote by Ihearthetfield

thats not true at all dude. i love my studio and played the gibson standard and epiphones and while its not as good as the standard it kills any epiphone ive played.
xxx

my rig:
-gibson les paul studio (sh4-bridge)
-peavey valve king 212
-electro-harmonix english muff'n
-roland micro cube
-digitech digidelay
-digitech grunge
-rocktron hush pedal
-fender pedal tuner
Quote by j120strat
wow, wheres all the epi faithfull, i was hoping for a spirited debate

This one's for you, j120strat:

Epiphones fucking rule!!! Gibson sucks balls!!! Gibsons are overpriced pieces of shit!!! I would rather eat your mother's balls than hand over the money for one of those overpriced shit wads that I could get for half the price!!! Oh my God, "Gibson" spells "Nosbig" backwards, which means "overpriced" in the long-extinct Noderdese language! And that's really bad!!!

Hope you enjoyed it
studio is exactly what its named, a standard without the fancy looks. It's made to be played in a studio where only sound matters.
50th Anniversary American Deluxe Strat 3-tone Sunburst
Crate XT120r Amp
Epiphone Valve Jr. w/ Jensen P8r
Boss DS1
Digitech RP300 MultiFX
Quote by lifewontwait834
my ass. maybe you just played a bad one, cus they beat the **** out of any epiphone.

Go cry in a corner

sorry that you spent 1200 dollars on a guitar that should be 200$
Quote by Revan
studio is exactly what its named, a standard without the fancy looks. It's made to be played in a studio where only sound matters.

hahah yeah right it doesn't sound 1/3 as good as the standard play both side by side to see for yourself
I have an elitist sg and my friend has a gibson standard sg. they are compairable in some areas but mainly its the finish on the gibson is nitrocellulose which imo looks better and feels better, not sure if it affects the tone at all but a cool feature. epi elitist's have a polyurethan finish. thats about it, ohh and the frets, Gibson has like "shoulder" type of frets and the elitist has more of a rounded fret. i think those are really the only differences. with that said i would take a gibson mainly so i can say," I have a Gibson Standard SG." that would be the only reason i would buy one.
gibson > epiphone

i've played so many epiphones and honestly, they dont match up to gibson, and why would they, if they did, gibson would tell them to make crappier guitars so gibson could sell more, i own a gibson and i think it's by far much better than an epiphone
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I would take the epiphone personally, not flaming gibson or anything, I just don't like top of the line equipment because i think I can do just as good with out the major name brand stuff.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Quote by Ihearthetfield
Go cry in a corner

sorry that you spent 1200 dollars on a guitar that should be 200$

no, not even close with that guess, try again!
xxx

my rig:
-gibson les paul studio (sh4-bridge)
-peavey valve king 212
-electro-harmonix english muff'n
-roland micro cube
-digitech digidelay
-digitech grunge
-rocktron hush pedal
-fender pedal tuner
Quote by Ihearthetfield
hahah yeah right it doesn't sound 1/3 as good as the standard play both side by side to see for yourself

i have and theres a tiny difference just because of the pups and and possibly cheaper electronics, ur the stupid f*ck that has me sigged for saying that studios have a maple top, which they do, you are incredibly retarded if you think that there is any difference in tone between figured and non-figured maple tops

Gibson LP studio
Quote by Teleprompters
i have and theres a tiny difference just because of the pups and and possibly cheaper electronics, ur the stupid f*ck that has me sigged for saying that studios have a maple top, which they do, you are incredibly retarded if you think that there is any difference in tone between figured and non-figured maple tops

Gibson LP studio

I'll bet he's one of those people that think that binding will "make ur tone l33t nd ne guitar that dont have binding sux0rs teh tone sux oh em gee!!!!11one!!!" Yeah. Or maybe he is mad that he went out and bought a standard only to find out that the studio sounds the same and he could of saved money.

Anyhow, yeah, I have an Epi. but theres no way I would take it over a Gibson.
Quote by dan2002
I'll bet he's one of those people that think that binding will "make ur tone l33t nd ne guitar that dont have binding sux0rs teh tone sux oh em gee!!!!11one!!!" Yeah. Or maybe he is mad that he went out and bought a standard only to find out that the studio sounds the same and he could of saved money.

Anyhow, yeah, I have an Epi. but theres no way I would take it over a Gibson.
Yeah because the 490r and 498t sound just like burstbuckers

go back to your epiphone les paul junior and learn smoke on the water on the e string
Quote by Ihearthetfield
Yeah because the 490r and 498t sound just like burstbuckers

go back to your epiphone les paul junior and learn smoke on the water on the e string

So you cant do a pup swap on a studio!? Wow. Thats some heavy ****. And whats wrong with Les Paul Juniors? I'm getting the Epi. Reissue and sometimes simplicity is a good thing. So do me a favor, **** off.
theres nothing wrong with les paul juniors, but there is something wrong with epiphone les paul juniors
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Waterboy799
theres nothing wrong with les paul juniors, but there is something wrong with epiphone les paul juniors

Not this one
i dont know what i would choose. ive never played an epi i really liked besides mine. even gibsons..i just like my epi better. yes, its very low end, i know..but it doesnt bother me at all. when i play a guitar, reguardless of brand or make, i dont say "man, i love this guitar because its a Gibson" im happy with what i have
Quote by dan2002

Bud, go ahead and get it if you want but your buying a beginner guitar for 300 bucks, look outside the box, thats not a great guitar.
50th Anniversary American Deluxe Strat 3-tone Sunburst
Crate XT120r Amp
Epiphone Valve Jr. w/ Jensen P8r
Boss DS1
Digitech RP300 MultiFX
Quote by Revan
Bud, go ahead and get it if you want but your buying a beginner guitar for 300 bucks, look outside the box, thats not a great guitar.

Why, because its only got one pickup? Replace that P-100 with a P-90, and I dare say you saved 300$ over a Gibson Jr. Its not a great guitar, but it is very versatile, and I'm a sucker for P-90s anyhow.
I have an Epi G-400 and a Gibson SG Supreme.

Let me tell you that I haven't played with the epi since I got the gibby...
Sorry I'm late. And since when do you people call me in to support Epi's?

Ok. Ihearthetfield, you're an idiot. The Gibson Les Paul Studio is exactly the same as the Standard. It just doesn't have all the extras. Like binding and burstbuckers. It also has a PLAIN MAPLE TOP. Same thickness as the regular Standard's Flame maple top. Other than that, it is exactly the same guitar. If an Epi Elitist tops the studio, it also tops the standard.

For me, I don't need this security blanket of the Gibson name that many of you do. I would sit down, try the two guitars out, and pick the one the feels and sounds better to me.

If it's strictly a "pick now without trying them" thing, I'd go with the Epi Elitist. I prefer Epiphone necks to Gibson (yes, they are slightly different), and I also don't want to get stuck with a dud Gibson.

That's my take on it.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Frankly. I would take an Epiphone Elitist over a Gibson. Because, modded, it would be far better than a Gibson, unless the Gibson was modded in the same way, then it would be the same, but 2k more expensive.

However, the Supremes or customs, or reissues...

I want this one

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar?sku=517125

Mmm... mini-hum buckers.
when it comes to ANY lp's, i still hate them...

(For those of you who hate me now for saying that, scroll to bottom of page and flame. for those who are a bit more mature, my reasons are below, or atleats a few of em)

1) wieght
2) fret acess
3) dont like set necks
4) hate the tone, im a strat guy
5) never liked mahogany on mahogany, thats too much mids for one man's balls
6) i think the LP shape looks bad. yeah seriously!
7) atleast the gibsons, cuz i havnt tried epi's, are way overpriced
8) both of them have made crappy quality LP's lately too.
Quote by dan2002
Why, because its only got one pickup? Replace that P-100 with a P-90, and I dare say you saved 300$ over a Gibson Jr. Its not a great guitar, but it is very versatile, and I'm a sucker for P-90s anyhow.

It has better specs than the Gibson LP junior. It has Grovers stock. I believe that the P-100 is a Gibson P-100 as well. It says right in the description solid mahogany. The Gibson uses multiple pieces. I've even heard of the Gibson LP Jr. being made of mahogany laminates. As for it being a "beginner" guitar, ALL Les Paul Juniors are classified as "beginner" guitars. And yet, that hasn't stopped multiple musicians from using them for everything, has it?

I'm also buying one of these '57 reissue Juniors. And you know what? I'm picking it over the Gibson model.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Personally, I think that an Epi Les Paul Custom would beat a Gibson Les Paul Standard IF the pickups were changed with something good quality Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio pickups.
^You'd have to change the wood as well. No way is an Epi LP Standard better than a Gibson. Especially not at being a Les Paul.
I'll stick with my Epiphones, unless comes a day when I have so many Epis laying around and the money to afford a Gibson, then I'll buy one...preferably the Jimmy Page replica. I get by just fine with my Epi LP Custom and Epi LP Elitist. Just because a BMW may be better than my Honda doesnt make me want to trade it in or anything....if what I have works for me, then why change?? I'm happy with the Epi's in every way...they get the job done. Just because a Gibson sounds or plays different, doesnt actaully mean its better to everyone, its just what your preference is.
remenber its high end epi lp vs. gibson lp standars, and price tag doesnt count.just playability.
Quote by mangablade
when it comes to ANY lp's, i still hate them...

(For those of you who hate me now for saying that, scroll to bottom of page and flame. for those who are a bit more mature, my reasons are below, or atleats a few of em)

1) wieght
2) fret acess
3) dont like set necks
4) hate the tone, im a strat guy
5) never liked mahogany on mahogany, thats too much mids for one man's balls
6) i think the LP shape looks bad. yeah seriously!
7) atleast the gibsons, cuz i havnt tried epi's, are way overpriced
8) both of them have made crappy quality LP's lately too.

i agree with most of these reasons except for the fret acess and the shape. i love the tone of LPs and Strats. but yeah, Gibsons are majorly overpriced
Quote by Danno13
^You'd have to change the wood as well. No way is an Epi LP Standard better than a Gibson. Especially not at being a Les Paul.
Yo Ray Charles he said elitist.

Elitists are made of one peice mahogany and a one peice neck with a maple top.

GIBSON Standards are made of many peices of mahogany layers on top of each others. In fact it's not even completely mahogany look on the site

http://gibson.com/Products/GibsonElectric/Gibson%20Electric%20Guitars/LesPaul/Standards/Standard/

BODY
Top Species: Carved AA maple
Back Species: Mahogany

Notice how they said Wood Species

They just layer a bunch of small peices of cheap wood on top of each other mainly mahogany so they can call it mahogany

If you were to put the same electronics and pickups in the elitist it would sound better than the gibson standard.
Page 1 of 2