I know the intro to a million songs, but I never really seem to learn the whole thing. I'll start one, then another, then another, and never finish one. I do know a bunch of whole songs, but not as many as I would like to. How do you stay focused?
make yourself learn to sing along with the songs right when you start playing them. you can't sing along to a song when you only know the intro.
yeah, what jim said - i find it much easier to learn songs with lyrics then instrumentals. Keeping focus on instrumentals can be such a bitch.

htpp://www.olivergoldingmusic.com
Ask youself why you're losing interest...could it be that you're not challenged past the intro? (Try some solos). Are you uninterested in the music you're playing? Try some other genres, too...you might find something you enjoy so much you can't keep your hands off the damn thing...
"He has a woman's name and wears makeup. How original."
--Alice Cooper, on Marilyn Manson.
Quote by tobiasosir
Ask youself why you're losing interest...could it be that you're not challenged past the intro? (Try some solos). Are you uninterested in the music you're playing? Try some other genres, too...you might find something you enjoy so much you can't keep your hands off the damn thing...

I think its the total opposite of that lol. It usually gets harder past the intro, or....most of the time i think this is the case---->I cant hear the strumming patterns through the whole song. And your other point, the music I try to play is only stuff that interests me.
Well I find it really easy to stay focused if I am properly motivated. I get motivation when I need to be able to play the whole song for my next band practice, or maybe its for the guitar exam I had last week, or if I want to try singing it, but most of the time its becuase I love the song and want to be able to play it as well as or better than the original.

Maybe you just aren't interested in the style or bands that you are currently listening to (as was said). Try something new, or make it so you _have_ to know the song for something (like band) if you have to. Good luck
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
I used to know almost every riff ever, and none of the rest of the songs. Now, I usually just force myself to learn the other stuff, and I like it.
Quote by merkalos666
i'm just able to cuz i really get into what i'm playing.

Amen! Kollarism, you need to keep a really close listen on the music to hear all the strumming. It takes a good ear to hear out the strumming. Not saying you don't have a good ear, but maybe your ear isn't fully developed, yet.
I have the same exact problem, I'd usually just go a quarter of the way, stop, then move on to my next song.

I'm not sure why I'm not motivated enough to continue through, but there are times where I know I MUST learn it.
Daffodils for Delilah.
Acoustic EP.
Quote by Kollarism
I think its the total opposite of that lol. It usually gets harder past the intro, or....most of the time i think this is the case---->I cant hear the strumming patterns through the whole song. And your other point, the music I try to play is only stuff that interests me.

i have/had this same problem i know intros and thats it but ive discovered guitar pro

it gives u that tabs and u can hear everynote i suggest vtrying that out its an amazing program
Member #5 of the Red Sox fan club. PM Gibson06 to join.

Quote by thebrewfan
Once I saw someone try to seriously give someone "the vulcan death grip". That was the dumbest thing I'd ever seen until I saw this thread.
Is it possible that you're not playing songs you're really into? Maybe you should think about what songs you like to listen to all the way through so you will want to play them all the way through.
write your own songs and compositions, that's always interesting in that you don't have to adhere to any exact pre-made tab, so you are free to play what your mind hears...it's the most inspiring feeling ever to play a piece for someone and when they ask who's song it is you have the ability to say "me"...it can be quite a good way to help your focus
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Well, if you don't want to learn a whole song then you don't have to. I've spent most of my time learning whatever parts of songs I choose to. The reason being that I'm focused on learning techniques and improving my playing ability. I don't play with anyone else, and I don't perform...so the whole reason of playing what I play is just for general practice. I've started moving into working on whole songs because I feel like it. I don't think you should learn whole songs at this point if you don't want to.
-Schecter C-1 Artist Limited Edition Left-Handed
-Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
-New York Pro Acoustic

Quote by Random emo kid
I'm so emo even my tears cry.

Quote by wahappen
I'd probably give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
I used to have the same problem. Untill very recently I couldn't sit down and learn an entire song. The real problem was that I jst wasn't good enough and because it took me so long to just get down the intro I would get bored and just move on. Once I started getting more comfortable on the fretboard I picked up songs quicker and that kept my interest fueled.