Everyone here has such a low opinion on gibson LP specials, I have one and love it. Its made from high quality wood, has nice pickups, has a fast neck with easy fret access, and doesn't have the insane weight of a custom.Once I replaced the tuners, I thought it was one of the best $550 guitars I've played.

And I know most people don't like the look, but I love the faded cherry and dot inlays.

Why does everyone have such a low opinion on them?
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at Jun 30, 2006,
Quote by MetalMilitia212
Everyone here has such a low opinion on LP specials, I have one and love it. Its made from high quality wood, Wrong. It's alder if you're lucky. has nice pickups, Also wrong, they sound terrible. I guess you can put that up to opinion. has a fast neck Wrong, LP necks are big compared to, well, just about any neck. with easy fret access, and doesn't have the insane weight of a custom. That's because it's made of crap.Once I replaced the tuners, I thought it was one of the best $550 guitars I've played. You got a HORRIBLE deal for $550.

Apparently I need to lengthen my post.
the epiphones are utter ****e. If its a Gibson then you got yourself one hell of a deal

-if you bought it
*Blah blah blah my soul to take*
Last edited by Abnormal_Omish at Jun 29, 2006,
i dunno maybe because theyre so cheap looking, the paint looks like spray paint
i think they look ok, just nothing i would buy for anything other than a guitar to decorate and just **** around with, or a starter guitar
les paul standards are better
Last edited by Aftter-Forever at Jun 29, 2006,
because you could get a much better guitar for that kind of money. you're only paying for the gibson name.
Quote by Chaos Guitar
im great at sweeping but horrible at pinch harmonics

I have one and I think it plays pretty well. The only thing is that its paint job leaves something to be desired...like a new paint job.
Leader of the We Hate Squiers Club

PM gibsonsg2006 to join

Jimmy Page
Quote by tylerishot
Wrong. It's alder if you're lucky

Wrong, LP necks are big compared to, well, just about any neck.

That's because it's made of crap.

Apparently I need to lengthen my post.

Actually they are mahogany ... not sure where you got your info.

The Special has the slimmer 60s neck ... you're thinking of the 50s neck which others actually prefer.

Crap? A little harsh there.

Lengthen? How about accuracy? Threadstarter loves his guitar. Some love their POS plywood or Agathis whatever.
threadstarter is asking for peoples opinions on why they dislike them.

If you really want to drop 600 bucks on a guitar for the Gibson name, more power to you. For 600 bucks you could have gotten a hell fo a nice ibanez or shecter, or even a upper-midrange strat if thats your style.

I personally don't see why anyone even buys les pauls from gibson now that PRS makes a line of les-paul shaped models.

Paint job is your own preference, i hate most gibson paintjobs, so meh.

Otherwise i think its an alright guitar, play ability is what i would expect from a les paul, sound wasn't terrible, not my cup of tee but decent at least.
50th Anniversary American Deluxe Strat 3-tone Sunburst
Crate XT120r Amp
Epiphone Valve Jr. w/ Jensen P8r
Boss DS1
Digitech RP300 MultiFX
I hate to say this, but you could've gotten something MUCH better for $550. I'm not sure on those PRS LPs as the above poster mentioned (cost-wise), but an Agile would've been so much better. Or any LP Copy for that matter (Tokai is a little expensive I think..).

Unless the weight is a huge factor. If it is, another guitar would've been a better choice...

(damn, mentioned Agile again...this can't be good :P)
Member #5 of Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club.
Contact iamtehwalrus768 to join.
Quote by Ippon

The Special has the slimmer 60s neck ... you're thinking of the 50s neck which others actually prefer.

Lengthen? How about accuracy? Threadstarter loves his guitar. Some love their POS plywood or Agathis whatever.

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=21&CollectionID=6
That's where I get my information.
Indeed, A maple/alder laminate is quite similar to mahogany. I can see how you made a mistake.

Indeed, I can't prove the neck, I'll leave that one up in the air.

And yes, I figure a maple/alder laminate crap. No excess harshness.
They're cheap beginners guitars with an extra $350 tacked on for the Gibson name.

There are countless guitars for the same $650 that are MUCH better.

Just because it says "Gibson" on the headstock, it doesn't mean it isn't a POS.

Oh, and the same aplies for SG Specials as well.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by tylerishot
Indeed, A maple/alder laminate is quite similar to mahogany. I can see how you made a mistake.

I meant the gibson line

I know that the epiphone specials suck, pretty much everything but epi standard and up are bull**** right?

heres the page for the gibson

http://www.gibson.com/Products/GibsonElectric/Gibson%20Electric%20Guitars/LesPaul/Special%20with%20Humbuckers/

mine is the same, only with locking tuners and a darker color
Dickless.
Quote by Skar
I hate to say this, but you could've gotten something MUCH better for $550. I'm not sure on those PRS LPs as the above poster mentioned (cost-wise), but an Agile would've been so much better. Or any LP Copy for that matter (Tokai is a little expensive I think..).

Unless the weight is a huge factor. If it is, another guitar would've been a better choice...

(damn, mentioned Agile again...this can't be good :P)

I love those. That's what Im considering for my next guitar.
Agile? I don't know what it is, something just turns me away from those. I know they're made very well with good materials, I just don't like them for some reason (and its not the name, I don't care what the headstock says. I'm not one of those idiots who thinks their special by getting a gibson.)
Dickless.
Quote by Ippon

your right
read descriptions in magazines and stuff
i don't know of a gibson that doesn't have mahogany in it
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
Quote by tylerishot

And you got the wrong brand, check out Gibson Special which the threadstarter is talking about.

Again, you're wrong on all counts. I suppose that's easy to happen when you don't pay attention.
Ippon pwnt Tylerishot^

anyways the specials are okay but they would be better with some burstbuckers or a pup replacement, i think they are okay for the price but its all preference, Gibson LP Juniors are made of mahogany, not sure on the V's but there is a swamp ash Gibson LP studio out right now, and there is also the Korina flying V's
Last edited by Teleprompters at Jun 30, 2006,
Les Paul and SG Specials are the lowest peice of first act esque wastes of wood (if you would call it that) that you can get.

If you want a paul in that price range just get an epiphone way better bang for the buck.
Quote by Ippon
And you got the wrong brand, check out Gibson Special which the threadstarter is talking about.

Again, you're wrong on all counts. I suppose that's easy to happen when you don't pay attention.

...Well then. You're right indeed.
wtf did u get a gibson lp for $550. the cheapest gibson lp i ever heard of was $899