Ok... Got my Stingray this morning as many of you know! I, like many people am used to anchoring my thumb on a pickup positioned closer to the centre of the fretboard/bridge gap, which is not present on a Stingray. Basically I'd prefer to get the rounder tone available to me by the use of a thumbrest.

I've seen a few Stingrays with this mod, have any of you done this to any of your basses? Kinda considering it for my own basically...
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
I've also seen people put a plank (that's right!) parallel to their strings running from the bridge to the neck. This provided a "where you want to" anchor, first of all. Secondly, people are used to feeling a PU underneath their fingers when they play those higher strings. It's not nice from the esthetical perspective. But then again, I've only seen a pro do it. And these guys don't really give a damn about aesthetics, they stick with the same guitar for ages.
I have a thumb rest but I'm not positive about how to install it (got it for 53 cents, it was awesome).

However my friend has a MM2 that we thumb rested, and it's a lot like a stingray. I'd suggest doing it, it worked out really well for him and he could get that tone you mentioned. Just make sure you know where you're putting your thing before you do it..don't end up with like 39 different holes.
Quote by skater dan0
...and the bassist comes up to the EQ and moves all the sliders into the typical smiley face pattern and in a really thick Jamaican accent said "you can't have de bass without de smiley face"
Why not learn to use the pickup. as it has 3 different 33place u can get different place which = tone.........
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
Why not learn to post in threads that are less than half a month old?
Quote by GreenDayChris
I drink, and say oi occasionally. but I can't get laid to save my life.

Quote by Symphonic_Chaos
MX4Life you fucking godhaha
i wish tht was funny...........seems as im bored at work
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->