when the signal from your guitar to your ears becomes distorted due to high voltage in amplifiers or by a pedal of some kind. this is pretty damn basic though, im very suprised you dont already know this from normal living.....
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
well im just a kid and some songs say play with alot of distortion and i have a crappy amp with only like 5 knobs on it so how do i know what the distortion is?...
Read the manual.

Shouldnt be to hard for a 13 year old.......
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
The knob to change the level of distortion will be called Gain, the button to turn it on with be called Overdrive or Select or something like that.
dang dude im sorry but i knew wut a distortion wuz at age five and nobody in my family played any instruments so yur 13/14 u shud know no offense but da**

Member #32 of Dunlop Pick Fan club PM gtrfrk123 to join

1st member of DR Strings are the best strings PERIOD! club PM CodySG to join

Member Of The Jackson/Charvel Owners Club
PM Tarzan_Man To Join
Distortion=Overdrive+Gain.

There are two settings-clean, and overdrive.

Clean is just that-clean. It is just the regular sound. Think acoustic, but the electric guitar's interpretation of it.

Overdrive is where you'll get distortion. As you turn the Gain knob up with overdrive switched on, you will get more distortion. Distortion is that "crunch" or "growl" you hear with music. Blues music uses minimal distortion, rock music uses mid-range distortion, Punk uses mid-high distortion, and Hard Rock and metal use heavy distortion.

Hope that clears it up for you.

My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar