Well, I've been in denial a long time now, and I've finally admitted to myself that my Fender American Series tremolo isn't that great. In fact, I'm downright dissapointed.

So I think I'm going to get a Floyd Rose-type tremolo, and maybe a D-Tuna for drop D riffs. What's that best Floyd Rose system for the money? It doesn't actually have to be a Floyd Rose, it could be from Ibanez or whatever, just recommend me a good one please. Thank you!
Um... well honestly I'd jsut sell the strat and get a guitar equipped with one. They're a bitch to instsall, especially when you have to route. If you know what you're doing it's not a big deal... but having it installed you're probably looking at $200+ for installation and another 200 for the system, not to mention it will destroy re-sale value.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
^Dude, this is my "mod" guitar, I've modified it a bunch, I'm not selling it, just making it better. I love it to the core.
Ok... well then I'd look into either an Original Floyd Rose, Schaller Floyd Rose, or Ibanez Edge (I see them on ebay from time to time and I know Rich has them at www.ibanezrules.com)
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
^Thanks, I'm planning on either gettting a router template from stewmac.com, or having some do it for me. Or just make my own template, I've done it with pickups before. I also hear Pings are very good, anyone heard of them?
I would personally stick with the OFR or Floyd Rose Pro, they really are good trems. They have routing templates on their site too.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
IMO Ibanez LO-PRO and EDGE>OFR
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
the d-tuna should only fit on OFR's and it has to be non-recessed so that it sits on the body or you can have it recessed but not bend up. also does your current bridge utilise a 2-point trem system
Quote by Sn^ke
^^My Lo-Pro sucks

maybe it was abused before you obtained it or you cant set it up properly
I'm not a noob. I've set it up perfectly, but I think the knife edges are worn. That and the arm holder is loose and I can't fix it.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
the d-tuna should only fit on OFR's and it has to be non-recessed so that it sits on the body or you can have it recessed but not bend up. also does your current bridge utilise a 2-point trem system

Ok, well is there any other to drop to D quickly? I don't do it often, but I'd like to be able to on the fly.

About the Lo-Pro:
1)Does Ibanez even sell stuff aftermarket? Where can I get it, if they do?
2)Whats the difference betweent the Lo-Pro and the regular Pro?
Haha, just noticed my Jackson Jt580 low-pro isn't that bad at all. I've never used it before but today i was playing around with it (just play some chord and then dive bomb like crazy) then i thought it for sure was out of tune. I checked and WOW, it didn't go out of tune.
Gear:
Black Jackson Dinky 2
Peavey Envoy 110
and that's it.
Quote by MastaBassist10
About the Lo-Pro:
1)Does Ibanez even sell stuff aftermarket? Where can I get it, if they do?
2)Whats the difference betweent the Lo-Pro and the regular Pro?

There is no regular "Pro". The Edge trem from Ibanez was like an origianl Floyd, but better, as the balance is a bit nicer (general opinion, not just mine), and it had locking studs, which meant that even after years of whammy abuse, the posts remained solid. Great trem, Satch prefers them over anything else.

Then came the Lo-Pro, which was lower profile that the original Edge. They kept the locking studs, but the balance isn't as nice on them (again, general opinion). Stays in tune every bit as well as an Edge, and is less intrusive on your playing.

Then came the Edge-Pro, they discontinued the locking studs (simple modification fixes this), so if you buy one, years of abuse will oval the post holes. If you get one, GET THE STUD MOD. It has lower profile again than the Lo-Pro, but the balance is again isn't as even as the Edge. It is easily the least iobstructive on your playing though.

Check www.ibanezrules.com Rich harris really knows his stuff.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Prophet of Page
There is no regular "Pro". The Edge trem from Ibanez was like an origianl Floyd, but better, as the balance is a bit nicer (general opinion, not just mine), and it had locking studs, which meant that even after years of whammy abuse, the posts remained solid. Great trem, Satch prefers them over anything else.

Then came the Lo-Pro, which was lower profile that the original Edge. They kept the locking studs, but the balance isn't as nice on them (again, general opinion). Stays in tune every bit as well as an Edge, and is less intrusive on your playing.

Then came the Edge-Pro, they discontinued the locking studs (simple modification fixes this), so if you buy one, years of abuse will oval the post holes. If you get one, GET THE STUD MOD. It has lower profile again than the Lo-Pro, but the balance is again isn't as even as the Edge. It is easily the least iobstructive on your playing though.

Check www.ibanezrules.com Rich harris really knows his stuff.
So you're defininatly reccomending the Original Edge. I have another question? You know how when you palm mute with a Floyd Rose-type tremolo, the pitch tends to fluctuate? Does this happen with an Edge, or is it something you get use to?
Quote by MastaBassist10
So you're defininatly reccomending the Original Edge. I have another question? You know how when you palm mute with a Floyd Rose-type tremolo, the pitch tends to fluctuate? Does this happen with an Edge, or is it something you get use to?

No, I actually recommend the Edge Pro for two reasons

1. It's readily available, and is still being produced, while the others aren't.
2. It's the least obstructive on your playing.

If you're really into your trem though, Edgeall the way.

Palm muting won't cause the pitch to fluctuate with either the Lo-Pro or the Edge-Pro (not noticabley), because their odd balance actually hleps with this. HOWEVER, if you intend on using the trem to Vai-esque levels, I'd say the Edge would be more suitable for you, even though it will cause the pitch to fluctuate with palm muting.

Remember though VERY heavy palm muting will cause the pitch to waver on ANY Floyd style trem, but you do get used to the level of pressure that is acceptable quite quickly I found.
Quote by Prophet of Page
No, I actually recommend the Edge Pro for two reasons

1. It's readily available, and is still being produced, while the others aren't.
2. It's the least obstructive on your playing.

If you're really into your trem though, Edgeall the way.

Palm muting won't cause the pitch to fluctuate with either the Lo-Pro or the Edge-Pro (not noticabley), because their odd balance actually hleps with this. HOWEVER, if you intend on using the trem to Vai-esque levels, I'd say the Edge would be more suitable for you, even though it will cause the pitch to fluctuate with palm muting.

Remember though VERY heavy palm muting will cause the pitch to waver on ANY Floyd style trem, but you do get used to the level of pressure that is acceptable quite quickly I found.

I'm not crazy about it, but its a nice thing to have on one of my guitar, if it can't be my Les Paul.
Quote by Sn^ke
I'm not a noob. I've set it up perfectly, but I think the knife edges are worn. That and the arm holder is loose and I can't fix it.

The only way the knife edges are worn on a good ibanez trem, if it was used heavily since the day it went on production. 10 years of hard abuse....

And to the guy who commeneted about his jackson trem, all new trems are good, but after a few months, its gonna suck, because the knife edges will wear out.

Best to just invest into a OFR, Schaller, or High end ibanez of some sort.

ANd the difference between LO-PRO and Edge/edge pro is that the lo pro is simply that. Lower... Its got a lower profile and stance. Reliability wise their the same.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Guess i should stop using trem unless it's necessary so it dosen't wear out too quickly.
Gear:
Black Jackson Dinky 2
Peavey Envoy 110
and that's it.
Quote by ClassicAxe
The only way the knife edges are worn on a good ibanez trem, if it was used heavily since the day it went on production. 10 years of hard abuse....

You seem to know your Ibanez. Tell my why my trem wont hold tune. I replace the strings regularly and stretch them. It's set up correctly. All the screws are tight. I took a good look at my knife edges don't appear to be worn, just a little rusty.
^ Are you sure its LO-PRO? Could be a trs.... what guitar is it?

Take it to a professionial would be my advice.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
It's a Lo-Pro. When will people stop thinking i'm a noob huh.

It's a 2000 RG570.
Quote by ClassicAxe
ANd the difference between LO-PRO and Edge/edge pro is that the lo pro is simply that. Lower... Its got a lower profile and stance. Reliability wise their the same.

The Edge-Pro is lower profile than the Lo-Pro.
Quote by JimiMan1535
Knife edges are the edges where the trem sits on the pivot points or studs.

Check out the pics and read about them here
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/sharpening.htm

Wow! That site was really very useful and I'm bookmarking it for when the FR on my Fender Strat will need some work. For a 20 year old or so guitar, it's still pretty clean and I've only replaced a saddle. Thanks for that site!