Alright, let me start out by saying I'm making this more or less because I have nothing else to do and I need a new pedal sometime in the next few weeks.

What are everyone's favorite effects for normal use and why?

Also, I'm looking into getting a chorus, flanger, phaser, and maybe a distortion for metal/hi gain sounds. Suggestions for each would be appreciated, especially the distortion pedal (I already have a good idea what kind of pedal I'm getting for the modulation types). I already have a Visual Sound J+H for most of my distortion/overdrive needs, but something more extreme is becoming necessary.

Everything is open for discussion, I'm not feeling too picky at the moment.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
i want to get a delay and a flanger
and by the way what does a phaser do?
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
phaser takes the signal and raises it and lowers it in a kind of sine wave pattern. listen to lynryd skynyrd's "that smell" for a good idea. the intro rythem guitar i mean.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
Last edited by Trapman870 at Jun 29, 2006,
A phaser modulates the signal in and out so it creates kind of a whooshing sound like an aeroplane, grerat effect. If you wanna know who uses a phaser, Incubus use one heaps, Van Halen also, Iron Maiden occasionally and many more. They are a grwt tool to have, i never get tired of mine. TO the threadstarter, there are many many distortion pedals and overdrive pedals, it is really just a matter of what you try and what sound you desire. What style of music do you like? I will now list you good effects pedals

Chorus: Electro-Harmonix Small Stone, Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Flanger: MXR M117 FLanger, Boss BF-3 Flanger (flangers are pretty much classed obsolete by phasers though)
Phaser: MXR Phase 90 EVH, no questions asked

YOu should probaby look at a wah and a delay as well.

Wah: Dunlop Crybaby, Vox V847/Clyde McCoy (dont get a morley)
Delay: Boss DD-6, Digitech DigiDelay (i highly recommend the DD-3 and DD-6's though)
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
I love delay and reverb, great for tone while you solo...
and chorus for cleans (with a little reverb agin)

I would suggest a Line 6 Echo Park for delay, plenty of options and great sound quality and pretty cheap compared to BOSS for example

There are trillions of good reverbs, including built in the amps

For a wah check my sig

Chorus ge the BOSS one, a friend of mine has it, it's versatile, and doesn't stay center stage, just adds a little something that turns your crappy cleans in okay cleans, and good cleans in great cleans

For a tremolo get the Line 6, tap tempo and all the fine tunings you will ever need for a trmolo

I don't like flangers, they stink

and phaser, the obvious choice is phase 90, (that's what everyone says) but I've never tried it, and I'm not sure how it works

and finally distortion: If you play only rythms, get a metal zone, you'll have to spend time to EQ it, but it's great for rythms. You can't get a sound out of it for solos and rythm at the same time.
I'm really interested in the Damage Control Demonizer and the Vox Bulldog Distortion, but I've never tried them. They're supposed to be great (they have a tube in 'em), info would be great please.
(to incubusman)
yeah i had actually been wanting each of the effects that are 1st on your list...... and know i need a delay and wah pedal but i wouldn't use them in everyday play. although i do plan on getting them.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
(to anty)
my only concern about the metal zone is that it sucks alot of your guitars tone (a freind has it).

and that bulldog distortion does look cool, although very expensive. id love to try it out.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
Yes I suppose, but if you need that big fat crunchy heavy tone, it is THE pedal you need

unlees you want to have a sound with real tone, ie not for solos
Flange and phase are different. Flanging mixes together two identical signals but with a slight time delay between them, allowing the delayed signal to catch up with the first and then increading the delay again. Phasing delays different frequencies by different (variable) amounts, and they don't all "catch-up" together but move in and out of phase with the dry signal independently. The whooshing sound is a flanger at the point where the two signals have a very small delay between them, and the delay begins to increase again.

Anyway, it all depends on what music you play. As far as distortion goes I like the sound of a fuzz-face, and it works pretty well with a wah. There's very little difference between a cry-baby and a Vox wah - only a couple of components are different. I hear good things about the Rocktron Black Cat wah - it's got different modes for the cry-baby and vox sounds as well as a wah+distortion mode.
Quote by smb
Flange and phase are different. Flanging mixes together two identical signals but with a slight time delay between them, allowing the delayed signal to catch up with the first and then increading the delay again. Phasing delays different frequencies by different (variable) amounts, and they don't all "catch-up" together but move in and out of phase with the dry signal independently. The whooshing sound is a flanger at the point where the two signals have a very small delay between them, and the delay begins to increase again.

Anyway, it all depends on what music you play. As far as distortion goes I like the sound of a fuzz-face, and it works pretty well with a wah. There's very little difference between a cry-baby and a Vox wah - only a couple of components are different. I hear good things about the Rocktron Black Cat wah - it's got different modes for the cry-baby and vox sounds as well as a wah+distortion mode.

im aware that flangers and phasers are different, but to clarify what i was saying, i was saying that phasers pretty much are obsolete to flangers, sound better, and are far nicer on the ears than flangers, as well as being better technology and cheaper usually. To threadstarter, a delay might not be used you might think, but it is a useful tool to have. I thought it was pointless till i bought one, wow, i use it all the time now. Same with a wah, it may seem impractical in your pedalboard, but it can expand your playing boundaries, and you will be able to identify and utilize it more.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM