In a treble bleed circuit, I'm under the impression the the treble value remains the same throughout the taper. This is because the 150 K resistor makes the pot seem like a 300 K pot, which is supposed to work well with humbuckers. So then when you spin the pot...You're basically just scooping the mids?
What makes it a 300K pot value good for humbuckers? That's just what've heard. I was under the impression that 500K was supposed to be the optimal value.

Also, what's the difference between audio and linear taper pots?

on a bit of a tangent, anyone know where i can get a small steel plate that would fit under a single coil pickup?
A volume control is basically a voltage divider. With the treble bleed capacitor you make a shortcut for the treble part of the signal by putting a small capacitor over 2 terminals of the potentiometer (a smaller capacitor only lets the higher frequencies of an AC signal through).

With the volume on 10 the treble bleed capacitor makes no difference at all. But when you turn the volume down, the capacitor starts letting some extra treble through to the output jack.

As for different pot values: larger values = brighter tone, you use 500k pots with humbuckers since they have twice the resistance of a single coil as there are 2 windings so you have to compensate and double up on everything else in the rest of the controls.
Generally its 500k for humbuckers, 200k for signalcoils

the taper of a potentiometer: this is basically the sweep it goes over as you turn it from left to right or the opposite http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/potsecrets/pottaper.gif
we percieve loudness logarythmically so you need to put an audio/log taper pot so the sweep is more usable (otherwise you just get a huge jump in one place then the control doesn't do much for the other 70% of its travel)
Last edited by seljer at Jun 29, 2006,
ahhh...that makes alot of sense. Thanks for the enlightenment on the treble bleed circuit.

also, the info on the types of pots helped alot, too.