Page 1 of 9
Ok, we are here to discuss the horror punk band, the Misfits. You can post your favorite Misfits lineup, band members. Which Misfits era you like best. Post picture of the band. Tell us your favorite Misfits songs and why. What is your opinion on what "138" means. ... I have posted a few Misfits websites, you can go to them to read about the band's history, the lineups, discographys, and downloads.

http://www.misfits.com/
http://www.onethirtyeight.com/
http://misfitscentral.com/
I personally don't like the misfits, but they are the KISS of punk rock.

P.S.- if some hard ass like Jerry Only thinks he is tough ****, then why did he lose a WCW match?
138 is from the title of a science fiction movie called t(?)-1138 ( I'm not sure what the second letter is) Also I have to say that i prefer the old misfits, but Graves has cool voice.
Misfits aren't the KISS of punk IMO. And what does losing in a WCW match have to do with the music? Wrestling is fake dude. Jerry is like almost 50 and that was about 5 yrs ago wasn't it? How are the Misfits the KISS of punk? They didn't have any special effects, people came to the show and bought the records to listen to the music not to look at them. They don't over do the act n stuff, everyband has their thing that is special about them. Misfits didn't wear that much make-up compared to KISS, depends which era you are talking about. Devilocks and ghoul make-up, that's all.
I never understood why the Misfits were/are so popular. They were mediocre at best in my opinion.
One story of 138 was that it came from George Lucas's (creator of Star Wars ^_^) sci-fi film THX-1138. In the song "We Are 138" it says, "It's time to be an android not a man...", it's either about violence and killing without second thoughts or robot people of the future.
I really really don't like them.

But I don't know anything about punk.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Quote by opivy21
I never understood why the Misfits were/are so popular. They were mediocre at best in my opinion.

The Misfits are popular (music wise) because they are great. They inspired many rock bands of all kind. Some of my favorite bands they inspired were GnR and Metallica. The Misfits were the definition of REAL punk. They wrote their own songs, played their own instruments, booked their own shows, made and sold their old albums (DIY). I do not understand how they are mediocre.
They didn't sell their own albums and if they did they don't anymore.

Who cares what they did in the 80's. Look at what they are now.

Don't they have like Danzig plush dolls?

Isn't consumerism great kids?
Quote by whyvern

They made their own record label and are affiliated with Osaka Popstar (a REAL punk label). They never sold out, there record label is Misfits Records. I don't really like the new Misfits. I was talking about the Danzig era. The ones who make those Misfits products like plush dolls and bobble heads are not the Misfits, they are stores and companies like Hotopic or w/e. The only thing the Misfits merchandises officialy form them were records, tapes, CD's, stickers (Fiend Club ran by Glenn Danzig), shirts (Fiend Club), and any other common item punk bands would sell.
Quote by astro_zombie94

The Misfits are popular (music wise) because they are great. They inspired many rock bands of all kind. Some of my favorite bands they inspired were GnR and Metallica. The Misfits were the definition of REAL punk. They wrote their own songs, played their own instruments, booked their own shows, made and sold their old albums (DIY). I do not understand how they are mediocre.

I almost laughed out loud when I read the first sentence. And don't try to tell me that they're good just because they influenced a couple of crappy bands. To your "real punk" comment - the Misfits weren't the first or the only band to these DIY things. Like whyvern said, they are one of the most commercialized bands to ever be related with punk.

If you like them, whatever, but I don't see what most of the hype is about.
Quote by whyvern

They have Danzig plush dolls? Where Can i get one? Kick ass!
Not really, I don't know why everyone hates the misfits. I'm not a diehard fan whose going to go to any lengths to defend them but I enjoy their music and to me they are just another punk band that I like.
Originally posted by XMetallica73X
i would love iran compared to this place trust me, they dont lie to you

^ FIELD TRIP TIME
Can we try to post more positive replies? If you're gonna come here to bash on the Misfits mine as well go create your own thread.
Quote by Spitefull
Where Can i get one? Kick ass!
Not really, I don't know why everyone hates the misfits. I'm not a diehard fan whose going to go to any lengths to defend them but I enjoy their music and to me they are just another punk band that I like.

I agree
You're going to have to expect to get a bunch of shit for talking about misfits as if they are gods...

We have too many kids that know nothing about punk but go running around screaming about ramones, dead kennedys, misfits, sex pistols and the clash as if their teen years were '77-'82.
I like The Misfits. However, every single post the threadstarter has made has given me the urge to find a way to reach through the computer screen and punch him or her in the face.

And stop capitalizing real.

RockThe40oz do you remeber that one kid who said that listening to The Misfits would "change your life.", ? hehehe.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I saw The Misfits play on Halloween. Jerry Only kept spouting stupid bull**** between songs. The performance was meh. Balzac played right before them though so it was sort of a hard act for them to follow.
Minister of n00b harassing of the Punk and Ska fourm.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75
Thank God for CowsWithGuns

Quote by MattTheArsonist
Cowswithguns is my forum hero.

Quote by UraniYum
Cowswithguns is some kind of god on earth.

Love is never having to say your safeword.
Last edited by CowsWithGuns at Jun 29, 2006,
To the threadstarter: Don't worry about what these people say. As long as a band's semi-popular, you're going to get a negative response. The only way you would get a positive response from this board is if you brought up a band only you and one other guy knew. Anyway, I love the Misfits when they had Danzig. Soon as he left and Jerry got rights to the band, he started all of the merchandise stuff. But oh well, you gotta make a living some how. Unfortunately, Jerry's trying to make sure he never has to work again using his fame from 20 years ago.
Quote by FloggingMolly62
To the threadstarter: Don't worry about what these people say. As long as a band's semi-popular, you're going to get a negative response. The only way you would get a positive response from this board is if you brought up a band only you and one other guy knew. Anyway, I love the Misfits when they had Danzig. Soon as he left and Jerry got rights to the band, he started all of the merchandise stuff. But oh well, you gotta make a living some how. Unfortunately, Jerry's trying to make sure he never has to work again using his fame from 20 years ago.

Not true.. tons of people here love black flag.. tons of people here love circle jerks.. tons of people here love ramones.

It's just annoying when somebody only talks about one band all the damned time.. especially when that band's logo is found on everything from lunchboxes to sweatbands to coffee mugs.
Quote by RockThe40oz
You're going to have to expect to get a bunch of shit for talking about misfits as if they are gods...

We have too many kids that know nothing about punk but go running around screaming about ramones, dead kennedys, misfits, sex pistols and the clash as if their teen years were '77-'82.

Isnt that better than the kids running around screaming about Fall Out Boy?
Quote by Spaceman_Spiff
Isnt that better than the kids running around screaming about Fall Out Boy?

No, because nobody above the age of 11 seriously considers Fall Out Boy punk.. thus, it is of no concern to me. I'm sure kids into whatever genre FOB is considered hate it when idiots go around saying "FALLOUT BOY IS SO AWESOME! I LOVE (insert their genre) SO MUCH!" even though there are a million bands in that genre that are better.
It is but fanboy-ism is ****ing annoying.
Minister of n00b harassing of the Punk and Ska fourm.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75
Thank God for CowsWithGuns

Quote by MattTheArsonist
Cowswithguns is my forum hero.

Quote by UraniYum
Cowswithguns is some kind of god on earth.

Love is never having to say your safeword.
I am nearly 13, 12 anda half. The Misfits just happen to be one of my favorite punk bands, I like many others too, The Casualties, The Clash, Black Flag, Nirvana, those are just my favorites. You guys are right that if we just talk about one band we're gonna get flamed n stuff, Don't just come in here talking **** about the band saying "they suck" without explaining how they suck.
Quote by FloggingMolly62
Well in a forum about punk music, I'd assume it would be okay to talk about your favorite punk band.

There's a difference between "favorite" punk band and "only punk band somebody ever talks about"

I don't go into the metal thread and start threads about municipal waste and invade every thread to talk about how great municipal waste is..
Ahhh, you're making it worse on yourself. You're not allowed to talk about The Casualties (don't understand that one, I guess you're not punk if you say 'punk in your songs), and you're not allowed to talk about Nirvana (understandable). Of course there are no official rules on this, but you'll still take it in the ass for it.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
It is but fanboy-ism is ****ing annoying.

Fanboy-ism is annoying, but couldn't you kinda expect it in a thread about that band? I mean why would he start a Misfit thread and start talking about Dead Kennedys or something?

Edit: ****, double posted. Oh well.
Let's try to stay on topic here please? This for is for discussing only the Misfits. The Misfits are not the only band I like and punk is not the only genre. If you are not a fan of the Misfits please do not come into this forum and start posting unless you have something important or smart to say.
ok I'll discuss the Misfits.

They suck.

That's actually pretty positive.

Listen to Annihilation Time...

please.
Quote by FloggingMolly62
Ahhh, you're making it worse on yourself. You're not allowed to talk about The Casualties (don't understand that one, I guess you're not punk if you say 'punk in your songs), and you're not allowed to talk about Nirvana (understandable). Of course there are no official rules on this, but you'll still take it in the ass for it.

that''s probably because the casualties are a parody of our entire subculture.
Quote by astro_zombie94
whyvern, thank you for that post, you have made yourself more of an ass than you already are.

Too bad whyvern does more for the punk scene on a daily basis than you have done in all your years of listening to misfits.

EDIT: Ok, enough spamming.. sorry about that, xtina
Last edited by RockThe40oz at Jun 29, 2006,