ok, i urge you to close this thread now.

1) whats the point of this thread? no really, even if we do answer, what do you get out of it?

2) theres no "top instrumentalists". period. its like asking which ice cream flavour is the best. the best at what? tasting chocolatey? obviously vanilla ice cream wont win there. it just dosnt work that way

3) read the forum rules please.
Quote by mangablade
ok, i urge you to close this thread now.

1) whats the point of this thread? no really, even if we do answer, what do you get out of it?

2) theres no "top instrumentalists". period. its like asking which ice cream flavour is the best. the best at what? tasting chocolatey? obviously vanilla ice cream wont win there. it just dosnt work that way

3) read the forum rules please.

yes please just look at the 1000000 greatest guitarist of alltime threads
i don't know much about bass players, but when I hear them i find geddy lee (rush) and les claypool (primus, ffb, 2 million other bands) stand out quite a bit, and i like the bassist from Tool but i don't know his name :x

....of all time lol i don't know but those are some good bassists
In order, Victor wooten, Jaco, Claypool. At least that's my top three. And mangablade, lighten up, we just go to these forums for fun and i like to see who people like so i can look up there songs. (Oh and C.F Turner is in a close 4th.)
There is no best, but you sure can have a favorite though.

Probably something like..

James Jamerson
Louis Johnson
Jaco Pastorius
Marcus Miller
Stanley Clarke
Larry Graham

Yada yada yada.
Last edited by WyldeGibsonPlyr at Jun 30, 2006,
Quote by StygianFury666
someone who is either dead or not heard of.

too true.

My Favourites are(in no particular order) Les Claypool, Geezer Butler, John Paul Jones, Roger Waters, and John Myung, no top three.
Jaco Pastorius
Victor Wooten
Les Claypool

well, they've made an effect on me.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
I know it's so obvious that it's almost really un-obvious if you know what I mean... but Flea has definitely made an impact as a Bass player. He's not particulary good, but he's probably the most well known bassist these days.
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
Quote by WyldeGibsonPlyr
I cant believe im the only one to name people like Jamerson, Johnson, Clarke and Graham.

some people don't listen to them or haven't heard of them.

I'm probably indirectly influenced by them, though.
That is true, im just saying that a lot of those guys are some of the masters, and you wouldnt be where you are in music without them.
Quote by WyldeGibsonPlyr
That is true, im just saying that a lot of those guys are some of the masters, and you wouldnt be where you are in music without them.

says who
Well, he doesn't necessarily mean they've influenced us, but maybe they've influenced some of the bassists we admire.
You've heard they're stuff.

-James Jamerson was the studio player for all the Motown cuts.

-Louis Johnson played bass in the funk band The Brothers Johnson. Nicknamed "Thunderthumbs" for his slap playing.

-Larry Graham played bass with Sly Stone in Sly & the Family Stone, among other projects such as Graham Central Station. One of the originators of the slap technique, I believe.

-And Stanley Clarke is just a genius. You best go out and pick up School Days, Stanley Clarke, or Journey to Love.

EDIT: I did not mean they influenced you directly. I meant that they had an impact on the instrument you admire.
Last edited by WyldeGibsonPlyr at Jun 30, 2006,
Quote by WyldeGibsonPlyr
You've heard they're stuff.

-James Jamerson was the studio player for all the Motown cuts.

-Louis Johnson played bass in the funk band The Brothers Johnson. Nicknamed "Thunderthumbs" for his slap playing.

-Larry Graham played bass with Sly Stone in Sly & the Family Stone, among other projects such as Graham Central Station. One of the originators of the slap technique, I believe.

-And Stanley Clarke is just a genius. You best go out and pick up School Days, Stanley Clarke, or Journey to Love.

EDIT: I did not mean they influenced you directly. I meant that they had an impact on the instrument you admire.

still doesn't mean that without them it wouldn't be how it is today...
Quote by StygianFury666
still doesn't mean that without them it wouldn't be how it is today...

Not totally true, a lot of those guys were the originators of many things. I believe Larry Graham was the first to slap, if im not mistaken.
I can't believe Flea's ONLY been said once! Has anyone here heard play slap before? Search him on Youtube.com and you get a vid of him and Chad playing! Flea is my idle!
PunkAintDead!
CLIFF BURTON
SHAVO ODIJIAN(SOAD's bassist)
KRIST KNOVOSELIC
Jesus had long hair, and he was all like For those about to rock, I salute you.

Corporate Rock Sell Outs

Member # 24 of Metallica Mensa

President of the Daron Malakian is God Club
pm me to join
In no particular order:

Geezer, John Paul Jones, Paul McCartney, Nick Oliveri, Scott Reeder, Jesse F Keeler.
Quote by T2H
I can't believe Flea's ONLY been said once! Has anyone here heard play slap before? Search him on Youtube.com and you get a vid of him and Chad playing! Flea is my idle!

If your into the slap, you better know who Louis Johnson, Larry Graham and Marcus Miller are. And you should know they are way better than Flea too.

Oh, and Flea had been mentioned more than one time too, just so you know.

Quote by T2H
F**k U Lot U All Suk

But judging by your maturity, im not going to argue with you. There really is no point to it.
Quote by WyldeGibsonPlyr
Not totally true, a lot of those guys were the originators of many things. I believe Larry Graham was the first to slap, if im not mistaken.

doesn't mean someone else couldn't of invented it or even one of us inventing it... anything is possible
My opinion is not really usefull becouse im not a bassist but i recently saw Tony Levin in concert and it was amazing. My vote goes to him. I dont know what to put for my other two though
Last edited by Schizoid_Man at Jul 1, 2006,
Quote by Applehead
listen mate, compared to Larry Graham, Flea is at best average.

every bassist in the world will bow down before larry graham thumbing, even vic wooten and marcus miller.

the two best thumbers will always be larry graham and stanley clarke.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
mine are Michael Anthony, Steve Harris, Billy Sheehan
Ibanez SR400
Ampeg BA112
Digitech Whammy WH-4 > Boss NS2 Noise Gate, NS2 Send (Boss GEB7 Bass EQ) NS2 Return > Boss CEB3 Bass Chorus > Ampeg BA112
pointless versus thread, in essence. Nothing that resembles a competition in heah, and you should know that now. Closed peacefully.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!