next year ima be in jazz band playing the bass. the 2 other bass players that were there are very good and now there gone and i have to take there place. i thought maybe i could get some tips on what to do. iv practices alot with slaping and pulling and scales. i dont know if theres anything else i could work on. maybe alittle more practice. or some practice tips would be nice. if i could get some help it would be very nice.

thanks!!!!
jazz band songs usually arent TOO technically demanding (varies). the hardest part i find is sight reading, at least for me. get better with sheet music. if you have a practice book or music, pull out any random thing and start playing. this'll help you to get better.
i dotn think jazz uses a whole lot of slapping, thats more for funk.

but yeh, in general the pentatonics work very well. and also make sure you have a strong grasp on different rhythms, shuffles, triplets, as groove is very important in jazz. aside from that, if its a school band you should be taught the theory and whatnot.
Definitely know theory, and how to sight read. Also work on technique, because in a jazz band you're probably gonna be need that (in my jazz band you're graded on it, in fact).
Quote by skater dan0
...and the bassist comes up to the EQ and moves all the sliders into the typical smiley face pattern and in a really thick Jamaican accent said "you can't have de bass without de smiley face"
originals or covers? with the covers, decent speed, like eighth notes(pretty much as fast as I need to go) sight reading, and you may need to do a solo or two. I was in Jazz band and it was phenominal, helped my theory during the early months of my playing.
Quote by FbSa
Practice walking basslines like there's no tommorow.

Seconded.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
Everyone here has got it all right.
My friend is our jazz band bassist and does a jaz combo.
Be able to sight read, practice walking basslines.
It's all about rythm.
Be able to get complicated rythms down easily, it's important.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
And make sure you stay in the low range. I had a jazz noobie on bass while I played guitar, and the balance sounded off. I realized he was playing in my range and it upset the balance.

But other important points are definitely sight-reading and walking basslines.
Learn The Major Scale!!!!!!
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E