My brand new Schecter Omen 6.

I changed the strings from 10s to 9s. Now it wont stay in Tune.
I am no pro at this but I have been changing strings for over 10 years. But I have never changed the size of my strings.

It came to me out of tune, but I really didn't play it enough with the 10s on it to see if it would stay in tune with those.

Do I need to adjust the truss rod??? I have never done that and have heard I could damage my guitar by doing this.

Any thoughts.

Thanks!!
All that truss rod damaging your guitar stuff is crap, it's just something guitar shops say to scare you into getting a proffesional set up. Just give it about a full turn and see if that helps, if not give it a few turns in the other direction.
Quote by pigglesworth
All that truss rod damaging your guitar stuff is crap, it's just something guitar shops say to scare you into getting a proffesional set up. Just give it about a full turn and see if that helps, if not give it a few turns in the other direction.

Holy crap, full turn? I don't think you will need ot do that unless you are going from like .007 to .016
Thanks for the replies. I do know better than to make large adjustments. I have read that you turn it from 1/16 to 1/4 of a turn at a time. Then wait a while and re-tune and test and measure.

SO you guys think I need to tighten my truss bar up since I have lighter strings on it now??

OR Loosen IT??

Thanks!!
Last edited by vanzant38 at Jun 30, 2006,
^ thats probably it.
when i got my omen, i played it with the stock strings till they got too firty to play. then i switched to .09's, and for a day or so it wouldnt hold tune either. once the strings are stretched out, itll hold tune good. mine holds tune great.
back in the day I used to boil my strings before putting them on, it was supposed to pre-stretch them out or sometheng.
Quote by CunningLinguist
back in the day I used to boil my strings before putting them on, it was supposed to pre-stretch them out or sometheng.

i would just play them out
Thanks for the advice guys!

I will play it a couple more days before I do anything else.
Yeah play them a few days until they stratch a little, then it should all be good. If it seriously persists for over 4 days or so, try tightening the tuners.
We should really prohibit piggle from posting any of those bull**** before somebody's precious guitar gets harmed.
Gear:
Black Jackson Dinky 2
Peavey Envoy 110
and that's it.
i dont get it, if you have been changing strings for 10 years wouldnt you have realised that strings do need to be stretched out fully
I have been changing strings for over 10 years. That was my point. I know that they stretch, I was looking for any other reason that this may happen.
Do you have a tremolo?

You could say that you were changing strings (Playing your guitar) for 10 years but actually be a noob.
Quote by vanzant38
I have been changing strings for over 10 years. That was my point. I know that they stretch, I was looking for any other reason that this may happen.

well it could be due to not stringing it properly
My old strat has a trem but the new one that I am talking about the Omen 6 doesn't.

Well my strat was never this bad. I am gonna take everyones advice and wait a few days and see if it will stay in tune. Maybe change the strings again.

Thanks!
Stretch em manually.

Go to the first dotted fret on each string, hold it down tightly, then grab the string and give it a tug. Then go to the next one, repeat.

Do this for each string, re-tune, and it should hold tune much better.

Obviously don't yank the strings to the point of breakage, but a little tug stretches em out just fine.
Just wait like a day or so and the strings will stretch out and be OK. i wouldn't adjust the truss rod yet.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
is it a floyd roose bridge?

if it is you need to adjust something in the bridge for a different gauge strings. I used 9's but my music teacher said to convert to 10's i would have to mess around with the bridge and change some things so its set up for a thicker gauge.

chances are its not stretching the strings is a problem with your bridge.

the truss rod can be adjusted for frett buzzing not going out of tune.

Try tightening your machine heads ( tuners)
Quote by TheDarkestNight
is it a floyd roose bridge?

if it is you need to adjust something in the bridge for a different gauge strings. I used 9's but my music teacher said to convert to 10's i would have to mess around with the bridge and change some things so its set up for a thicker gauge.

chances are its not stretching the strings is a problem with your bridge.

the truss rod can be adjusted for frett buzzing not going out of tune.

Try tightening your machine heads ( tuners)

no its a hardtail.
try the machine heads and tuning pegs that might be the problem. thats what happened to my first fender
I will check the tuners and see if any are loose.

Today or tomorrow I am gonna change the strings again. Maybe I did something wrong. These Tuners don't look that much different from the ones on my Strat but maybe they are. I will be even more careful this time.

TheDarkestNight, I now understand that even if the truss rod is a little off in its adjustment, that it doesn't effect the tuning. This is a big load off my mind. Thanks for mentioning that.

Thanks!
Yep the tuners were loose. So was the neck screws. I am also thinking that this guitar doesn't fit in the case very well. Maybe that is effecting the tuning. I am gonna switch cases with my strat. This may help, who knows.

Thoughts?