Hey guys, recently I agreed to do some guitar lessons with this 12-year old kid I know, just teaching him the very basics at this stage as he only just started playing, but I have no teaching experience and so am a little bit lost for where to start. Any tips you guys can give will be much appreciated, here are some of the sort of questions i have to give you an idea.

1. When should I introduce scales, right from the beginning, once he has learnt a few basic song riffs?
2. I want to keep it interesting, but is introducing him to the power chord and easy punk songs early on a bad idea?

By the way, he can supposedly read music (he already plays the trumpet), so I won't have to teach him basic music theory. Regarding his interests, I'm not 100% but I would say rock like RHCP, Grinspoon, Nickelback etc, perhaps also some pop-punk.
Oldest member of the "Guitarists Born in 1991" Club!. PM blues_rocker or greendayguitar to join.
do basic riffs jst get his fingers used to playing. u gotta rmeber that your hands have developed to ;lay the guiat whereas his are unaccustomed to it and thtat thats the first hurdle to cross
Quote by conceptne
do basic riffs jst get his fingers used to playing. u gotta rmeber that your hands have developed to ;lay the guiat whereas his are unaccustomed to it and thtat thats the first hurdle to cross

True true, so are you saying that riffs are the best way to do that, rather than saying, "this is an E chord" "this is an A chord" etc first?
Oldest member of the "Guitarists Born in 1991" Club!. PM blues_rocker or greendayguitar to join.
It definately helps if you tell them what finger to go where early on too. Especially when playing open chords with all 4 fingers, so they can get use to using all 4 fingers.

See if they know and like a few songs that you can teach them that include a few open chords like A, D, G and C.