hi, i'm new here, and me and my friends are having a bet. so, in your opinions, who's better, flea or john paul jones?

just your honest opinions only please.
I'm temped to say Flea is a better player, because in all of the Zeppelin songs I've listened to hear, I've heard little to no bass, however, I think JPJ is a much better musician overall.
I would say flea because i cannot hear bass in led zepplin songs.
(Especially Stairway To Heaven)
JPJ. I used to listen to plenty of Chilis and it never made me want to go and get a bass.
Flea
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
JPJ is better, because Flea can only play bass (to my knowledge), while John can do piano, mandolin and such. Flea doesn't seem to be a strong influence, but I know JPJ was an early influence, and I still listen to zeppelin, and I think RHCP is good and all, but I wouldn't buy a CD.
Quote by Applehead
John Paul Jones was a much better naval commander than Flea by miles !

i might have to sig this..
Quote by Applehead

what the fuck
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by Applehead

HAHAHAHAHA that was stupid.

for me overall flea is better.. cause he's an awesome bass player and a horn player.
I got 99 problems and they all bitches
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
JPJ is better, because Flea can only play bass (to my knowledge), while John can do piano, mandolin and such. Flea doesn't seem to be a strong influence, but I know JPJ was an early influence, and I still listen to zeppelin, and I think RHCP is good and all, but I wouldn't buy a CD.

Flea can play the horn too, its heard on their new CD Stadium Arcadium in the tracks Hump De Bump and Torture Me and as for my opinion, Flea because some of the stuff the Chili Peppers play live is amazing, expecially Flea. Sure JPJ is a great musician, but while JPJ follows the structure of the song with the guitar, Flea creates the structure of the song and the guitar follows him.
Fender Jazz Bass
Squire Stratocaster
Yamaha RBX 170(Custom Paint)
Yamaha MagicStomp
Dunlop MXR Distortion +
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Peavey Basic 112
Versus threads have been outlawed by the sheriff. And thank God because I for one hate seeing Flea > JPJ everywhere.
Quote by d-man1

The bass doesn't come in stairway to heaven till right near the end, that might be why.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Not only can Flea play the trumpet, but he even joined the Los Angeles Junior Philharmonic Orchestra, and at the time, was only listening to primarily jazz, and had wanted to become a jazz musician at the time. it wasnt before Hillel Slovak convinced him to listen to rock, that flea picked up the bass. that was at the age of 17, he was playing trumpet since 9.

(also he did play the drums just a bit before trumpet)
I prefer Flea.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Quote by d-man1

I love the bass part in stairway to heaven. It is incredibly simple, just triplets (really slow triplets) and it comes in when the drums do.
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
lol, the JPJ naval commander remark was humorous because John Paul Jones was the name of a naval commander in the Revolutionary War. For all those who thought Applehead was being random.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
^ Yay! Another UG'er that didnt fail US history!
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
Mikie Dirnt ftw mothers!
The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced.
-Frank Zappa
no versus threads. Read the rules. Closed.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!