Page 1 of 2
#1
Ok, so I've been a metal head for a while now and I have to say there isn't a lot of music out there that lives up to the pure raw energy that metal produces. But recently I've had an odd hankering.

The other day while driving to work I was flipping through my radio stations when I landed on a local rock station. The new Lost Prophets single hit the speakers and I have to say I was impressed. So, upon getting home I hit up my local Torrent site (naughty, I know) And got their new album and I've loved every minute of it. The wierd part is, is that its left me wanting more soft music, more melodic music.. dare I say, more Emo-ish music. And this has just happened in the course of two days.

I know my heterosexuality(sp) points have probably slimmed due to this thread but I'm just wondering how many of you have this happened to?

(This is in no way a Guilty Pleasures thread, I'm just curious to see how many out there have had odd hankerings to listen to things outside the box)
Quote by zachbino57
CSguitarvocal is correct as usual, pepsi tastes much better out of a can.


Quote by TWISTEDFender
And CSguitarvocal for teh win.
#2
I'm constantly listening to outside the box stuff.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
#3
finch is where its at for emo/screamo. say hello to sunshine is excellent.

*cowers in corner*
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.


Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
#4
I never listen to the radio.


Although I do occasionally listen to non-metal stuff. (shred mainly)
roar
#5
Quote by Slayer224
I never listen to the radio.


Although I do occasionally listen to non-metal stuff. (shred mainly)


I have to listen to the radio... I have a beater car.

I listen to a lot of shred as well, mostly Vai. But I'm not sure if this Alt-Rock/Emo thing is just a phase or if I'm starting to develope more tastes.

God I feel like I'm going through puberty.
Quote by zachbino57
CSguitarvocal is correct as usual, pepsi tastes much better out of a can.


Quote by TWISTEDFender
And CSguitarvocal for teh win.
#6
I listen to 'outside-of-the-box' about a third of the time. I like to keep my tastes well-rounded with some classic rock, jazz, classical, acoustic indie...

Check out the 'other than metal' thread to see what other kinds of music people listen to.
#7
I listen everything anyways so there is no box for me really.

EDIT: before you kill me, i dont listen to manufactured pop, bubble gummy, mainsteam hiphop, umm well you know, stuff that makes you feel icky.
#8
just call it being open minded, its almost impossible to listen to just 1 genre anyway.

I listen to metal mainly, but i do feel the urge to listen to other music at times, including punk, metalcore, hardcore, modern rock, som indie, hell even some emo i can enjoy when i'm in the mood
#9
I do sometimes listen to non-metal music.

But Lostprophets? Ugh, I dislike them now, they just annoy me. Their first album had some tunes though, Shinobi vs. Dragon Ninja was a sweet song.

But, whatever.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
#10
I'd say about 70% of the music I listen to is Metal but the other 30% is filled with loads of stuff you wouldn't expect from a metalhead
Originally posted by Novaworld
Smiddys right...
#11
Quote by smiddy
I'd say about 70% of the music I listen to is Metal but the other 30% is filled with loads of stuff you wouldn't expect from a metalhead


ditto
#12
Quote by CSguitarvocal
Ok, so I've been a metal head for a while now and I have to say there isn't a lot of music out there that lives up to the pure raw energy that metal produces. But recently I've had an odd hankering.

The other day while driving to work I was flipping through my radio stations when I landed on a local rock station. The new Lost Prophets single hit the speakers and I have to say I was impressed. So, upon getting home I hit up my local Torrent site (naughty, I know) And got their new album and I've loved every minute of it. The wierd part is, is that its left me wanting more soft music, more melodic music.. dare I say, more Emo-ish music. And this has just happened in the course of two days.

I know my heterosexuality(sp) points have probably slimmed due to this thread but I'm just wondering how many of you have this happened to?

(This is in no way a Guilty Pleasures thread, I'm just curious to see how many out there have had odd hankerings to listen to things outside the box)


That's not a bad thing, in my opinion, expanding your musical horizons is the best thing someone can do. It makesyou...more musically mature.
Quote by Zakk Wylde
Just shut up and play your guitar.



The Bishop of Zeppelinism-PM TheHeartbreaker to join

President of Califrado-PM me to join
#13
I listened to Dominic Miller the other day. I liked it, twas a changed from all the heavy stuff.

Quote by 70'sdude
That's not a bad thing, in my opinion, expanding your musical horizons is the best thing someone can do. It makesyou...more musically mature.

Seems good...
*listens to nu-metal*
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".



Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
#15
Quote by flame843
For whatever reason, I really like Alter Bridge...
I like Creed's "Human Clay" album...it's the first (and only) entire album I learned on guitar.

*runs*
#16
I really like Punk, Classic Rock, Blues, Jazz and SOME metalcore bands. Metal's always not to far off in my mind though.
#18
Dwight Yoakam, I've been listening to lots of his music lately and been singin hours after hours at work some of his songs. \m/ Blame The Vain \m/
#19
Quote by flame843
For whatever reason, I really like Alter Bridge...


The guitar is killer but how could you like those vocals lol.
Read my post. Not this.
#21
Quote by joel_grieve
finch is where its at for emo/screamo. say hello to sunshine is excellent.

*cowers in corner*



Finch isn't Emo or Screamo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Emo = Rites Of Spring

Screamo = Saetia
#22
I find everything I need in metal...outside of it, I listen to prog/classic rock, as well as a bit of classical.
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
#23
i like loads of non-metal stuff. i still like a lot of the numetal i listened to before i started listening to metal. i also listen to primus, and i really like finch, blindside, and sublime. i even like that country group big & rich. so yeah, you're not weird or anything.
#26
I listen to Vivaldi and other classical stuff when I get the chance. If anyone remembers the Balamb Garden theme song from FF8, you should check out the piano version which you can download from Limewire. Alot of the Final Fantasy soundtracks are very beautiful and inspiring. I also like Lamb of God and Slipknot, sometimes the mood just strikes. And also Justin King.
#27
Quote by uuuuhhhhhhhh
Get into Apocolyptic Neo Folk, Enjoy the softness but metal as **** crap they pull off. Its better than ever, EVER, EVER Getting into Emo...


Recommendations?
Quote by zachbino57
CSguitarvocal is correct as usual, pepsi tastes much better out of a can.


Quote by TWISTEDFender
And CSguitarvocal for teh win.
#28
Quote by Dead.Alone
yadda yadda, And also Justin King.


Justin king = AWESOME!
</IMO>
#31
I like hardcore and stuff... Alexisonfire, Comeback Kid, Madball, Cro-mags, Terror, all that good stuff. And Bjork.
#32
I think everyone get's that sort of thing. I love Thursday, well, the War All The Time album anyway. And AFI's Sing The Sorrow gets alot of plays from me. Shred of course and flamenco guitar(Friday Night in San Fransisco, Al Di Meola, John Mclaughlin, Paco de Lucia) every guitarist should own that cd.
#34
nothing wrong with that dude. Old 3 Doors down is great stuff, as well as some offspring

Metal doesnt have to consume every second you listen to music.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
#35
A lot of "emo/screamo" music is actually quite good.
Lostprophets, Finch, Armor for sleep, I think they're all good listening.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!



You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
#36
I like jazz, classical, classic rock, prog, blues, shred, and some other random stuff (Hot Club of Cowtown, Chet Atkins, Justin King), I just don't really know that much about any of them outside of the fact that I do like it.
#38
Dark Ambient, Techno Glitch, Jazz, Classical, Noise, even COUNTRY(hank williams III ftw)
Our skin worn thin
Our bones exposed
Life reduced to ticks
#39
o I like any catchy radio hit. I also listen to all kinds of non metal stuff. But metal still reigns over all. I dont even like shred, i only like intrumentals if they have keyboards in them, and usually in a more atmosperic or groove type way.
#40
i find it very useful to your development as a guitarist or musician in general to listen to music outside of what you normally listen to...i listen to shred, classical, jazz, blues, and progressive when i'm not listening to metal...i still never listen to the radio, i don't like pop, hip-hop, or s***
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.


Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!



Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Page 1 of 2