I'm know this guy nearby who sells a JCM 800 but its from 1983... It's a 1987 model but have been proffesionally modded with a master volum.. Should I go for it ? Need some advise.. :S
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Takamine G Series 6&12 string accoustics

Marshall JCM 800 50w 1987 (4 input)
Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
it doesn't matter if its that old ? im afraid im buying something that will be broken soon.. im going to replace the tubes though... but anyways ?
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
Quote by Sl4Sh_Jr.
it doesn't matter if its that old ? im afraid im buying something that will be broken soon.. im going to replace the tubes though... but anyways ?

even older amps are still working strong
Since its older, it should sound even better. Maybe get it checked out by professionals to make sure everything is connected well and make sure the tubes are fine but that would be after you buy it.
ok thanks
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
Er.... if it's nearby...go and play it!

And I'm sure it'll be a great amp, make sure you get some ear plugs mate!
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
a lot of people prefer older marshall heads. i personally am into their newer line as they are a little more feature heavy, but there is no denying the JCM 800 tone.
yeah I'm going to try it, since it's in my town... And I dont think i'll need the earplugs though :P it has been modded with a volume knob, so that i dont need to play the paper of the wall to get the sweet sound
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
The JCM800s in general (even with master volume) need to be cranked up a bit so the power amp "opens up" a bit (past 4 or so...which is allready ****ing loud)
You might want to take it to an amp tech to get old electrolytic capacitors replaced.

I've got a '67 Fender Bassman. Old amps pwn.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
1983 isn't that far back and I'm pretty sure the technology used for building capacitor was much better in the 80s than it was in the 60s
Capacitors are like car tires. They can last a really long time when properly taken care of, and even longer if they aren't over used. But eventually they will need to be changed. They can leak, which means you NEED new ones. And if you don't use them for a long time they dry out and stop working.
These days, a lot of people want to get vintage tone. And for that kind of tone, nothing beats an original vintage amp (reissues just aren't the same). I'm a fan of the JCM800's. They are really good amps, and if I had the cash, I'd jump at a chance to pick one up. Also, don't worry about it being an older amp. They don't make em' like they used to, and Marshalls used to be quite renound for their reliablility.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
I've got to ask, what is capasitors ?
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
Quote by Sl4Sh_Jr.
I've got to ask, what is capasitors ?

These type of things on the inside of your amp (as well as many other types that may also be present in there)

Like mentioned before I wouldn't worry about them going bad or breaking down in an amp thats only 2 decades olds
ok... What's their task in the amp ?
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
Quote by Sl4Sh_Jr.
ok... What's their task in the amp ?

The big ones are there to create a sort of "reservoir" of power for when the amps needs because it can't get it fast enough directly from the wall. Like a very quickly recharging battery.
They're also there to remove the ripple thats created when you turn AC into DC (after the rectifier section)

The smaller ones remove the DC voltage from stage to stage and used to control the amount of treble/bass (small capacitors let only the higher frequencies through since capacitors block DC current and low frequencies look more like DC so they have a hard time going through them)
Last edited by seljer at Jul 1, 2006,
thanks .. but is it the same with those as it is with the tubes ? you have to change them often ?? or do they last for decades ?
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
^yea, ironically the worst thing you can do to them is not use them for years because the electrolytic paste dries out. As long as you keep your amp in a climate controlled area, and take care of it, and play it every once in a while (I would say at least once a month) then there is no reason they can last longer than you. Thats unless you get unlucky and just get duds. Manufacturers say they are designed to last 10 years but they are just low-balling it to cover themselves. Notice how its those amps that people take out of their attick after 35 years that have a lot of problems. How did this thread go from someone asking about a JCM800 to capacitors 101?
we where talking about parts that could brake in an old amp....
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
the most common parts in old amps that need replacing are resistors that burn out and/or wonder in value.
what is a resistor ??
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
Its a 50W amp, but that is enough to play in a band ?

And it's a onechannel amp, but it works to use the volum knob on the guitar to change between clean and distortion ?
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
A 50W tube amp will be more than loud enough.

If you need some clean sounds rolling down the volume knob will get you them (you won't be playing jazz on the thing but the cleans are decent).
its just for some short clean parts of songs.... if im playing clean songs I just turn down the gain on the amp between songs...
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
so... I can't afford a speakercabinet.. I own a MG100DFX, and I am planning on playing my JCM 800 head through the MG's speaker.. It's just untill I can afford a cabinet, but wil it sound horrible ???
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
I've read some people say that the cabinet on the MG100DFX is actually alright, I'm not 100% sure since I've never played through one but, it should be alright, you won't get the same sound that you'll get witth a vintage 1960A cabinet, but it'll be something.
thats good to hear... I dont want to totaly ruin the sound of my JCM 800... I hope it works for a little while...
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
I'm wondering what the market value is on JCM800's? I was in a shop and a guy had a combo '800 from I think 1982 and he was asking 750 for it. What is the going price for both a combo and head? Does wattage or year of manufacture make a significant difference?
^year can effect the price

I saw a late 80's (horizontal inputs) 2203 head in Guitar center yesterday in mint/near mint condition for $1400 USD
I am buying a used 50W head for about 360$...
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
Now I have bought the thing, and It's great !! Beautiful sound !

It's pretty cool, cause it's got two channels, but their not footswitchable. I want to buy a A/B switch so that I can footswitch live... But I cant seem to find one..

Do anyone know what I should buy ??
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!