I have been playing about two years now, and was just wondering if being able to play 24 notes in 3.5 seconds (no hammer ons etc... all picked notes) is good for how long i have been playing. Does anyone Know facts like this about people like Steve Vai or oher shredders?
Thanks
We'll be washed and buried one day my friend
And the time we were given will be left for the world
The flesh that lived and loved will be eaten by plague
So let the memories be good for those who stay
For two years, that's probably pretty good. I've heard stats for notes per second, you're at just over six, let's call it seven. Steve Vai I've heard can do 28 (human?), Kirk Hammett I've heard 19 per second. Just keep practicing dude, the only way to get better is repetition.

Live life stronger than death.
Zakk Wylde

True knowledge is knowing that you know nothing.
Socrates

You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everybody dances with the Grim Reaper.
Robert Alton Harris

R.I.P.
Rhoads, Vaughan, Burton
Well... that's like 6.8 nps or something. Which really is nothing compared to these guys.

Not that you should compare yourself to them, lol.
28 notes per second? I dont think I could hear that many notes in a second let alone play them!
The fastest guitarist thread in the shred forum can help you.
As well as the "shredders" in there, who can offer advice and stuff.....

IMO it depends what type of music you've been playing, but i don't really think that is fast.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
W O W...........that list is incredible........I think I blew my load a few times thinking about playing that fast. Yah sweeping definitely seems the fastest, yet lately, that seems the toughest for me to master.

Zakk Wylde

Socrates

You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everybody dances with the Grim Reaper.
Robert Alton Harris

R.I.P.
Rhoads, Vaughan, Burton
hey i want to try that out (iv been playing for only a year) anyone wants to post (or send me) some tabs so i can try, because if not then im gonna pick the same note over and over again and lie about it! :P
sweeping is teh best way to improve youre nps....but dude, check youre states...im sure hammet can do waaaaay over 19...
start out with 4 note arpeggios then slowly work up.

and btw...that list someone posted...that only includes teh speed of shredders when they record. no one, NO ONE, shreds at full speed when their recording. cuz youre much more prone to mistakes. if you coudl watch them just messing around, playing at full speed, they would be going way faster...
Last edited by denied at Jun 30, 2006,
Yah I heard that stat about Hammett a while ago, and probably not from the best source, basically just a guideline/example. Yah I find patience to be my biggest problem for sweeping. I mean it doesn't really fit in with how I like to shred, but I realize I should try and round it out. Yah I got it, slow and steady wins the race.

Zakk Wylde

Socrates

Robert Alton Harris

R.I.P.
Rhoads, Vaughan, Burton
Quote by Erc
I'm pretty positive that Hammet can't even touch 19nps. (except on tapping, but 19nps for tapping isn't very fast at all)

He reaches it trem picking, and he also reaches 20nps on the One solo's tapping section.

Quote by denied
sweeping is teh best way to improve youre nps....but dude, check youre states...im sure hammet can do waaaaay over 19...

You obviously have no idea how fast that is. Threadstarter, if thats 100%, Paul-Gilbert clean, nice work.

And yes, sweeping is the "fastest" technique, afaik. I've seen people hit 30nps a few times, shockingly. And sometimes extremely cleanly, too.
That's downpickable.

Though for two years, that may be good. I don't really remember where I was after two years. It's been a while.

With some practice, you should be able to pick each note twice in that same amount of time.
Hammett gets 20 NOTES PER SECOND?! in the one solo?

Oh my actual god, how, lol - amazing.
Tapping on one string. If you find that impressive you might want to know thats about 2/3 the speed attainable with that kind of lick, Herman Li hits 26nps on a simiar piece of bollocks on through the fire and the flame or whatever its called...

Just imagine if some decent could be bothered with a similarly boring lick, then we'd all have nonsense with even bigger nps numbers. Now, give me bumblefoot's string skipping tapping cool stuff...much more interesting, just as fast. (if fast pushes your buttons - it does mine and i have no shame, join the club!)
I'm not into the whole speed = best thing, but thats still hella impressive. I can't even hear that many notes, jesus.

So couldnt you get away with just playing 10 a second and it'd sound ok?
im at 12 nps and i've only been playing a year and a half. not meaning to brag, but i'll put money on it that i play more than anyone who's been playing as long as me. i basically play from the time i wake up in the morning to when i go to sleep, except when i have to piss or eat. but during the school year i play from the time i get home to 9 pm (cause my parents put a restriction on me playing at night).

19 nps is really good....which is 16th notes at 285 bpm. and 28 is really amazing.....if you really want to hear some fast shredding, check out dragonforce, a song i recommend is "Through The Fire And Flames", just a freepower said. but if herman li can hit 26 without, fault, in my opinion he's faster than vai.

~timepheonix

Edit: before freepower said hammet only hits 19 when he is tremolo picking.. thats true....most of his solos are not at 19 nps.....i can do the jump in the fire solos, and thats at 176 bpm, and its mostly 16th notes so its just under 12 nps....but then again that was their first cd, so im sure his speed has improved a great deal since then, but i pretty much only learn the songs off Kill Em All and Master Of Puppets, cause those are my favorite cd's from them (I like kill em all more).
Last edited by TimePheonix at Jul 1, 2006,
Yeah that sure is a good song and solo.

I dunno how its possible to hear 26 notes a second though! Insane
if you listen to through the fire and flames by dragonforce, it sounds like a blur of notes unless you really listen to it then you can hear each note.

~Timepheonix

Edit : Also if you're into the whole shredding thing, then also check out Nevermore's newest cd. IMO Jeff Loomis owns everyone with his technique.
Last edited by TimePheonix at Jul 1, 2006,
Quote by TimePheonix
if you listen to through the fire and flames by dragonforce, it sounds like a blur of notes unless you really listen to it then you can hear each note.

~Timepheonix

Edit : Also if you're into the whole shredding thing, then also check out Nevermore's newest cd. IMO Jeff Loomis owns everyone with his technique.

the non-stop flurry of double-bass that is present in many of Dragonforce's songs make the guitar sound faster than it really is...it's all misconception, although some of the rhythms and such are pretty fast...the solos speak for themselves
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
... Or you could get into the shred forum and talk to people who actually know what they're talking about.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Seriously, this thread is so full of **** that I opened a pack of airfreshners. Threadstarter, I advise you go to the shred forum.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by TimePheonix
im at 12 nps

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4207150030723270023&q=wim+peterson

That fast? Not bad, if you're that clean.

Quote by TimePheonix
19 nps is really good....

If you're talking about picking, its as fast as Shawn "Fucking Holy Christ Thats Fast" Lane.

But of course, if a lick's simple enough, you can do it - one string tapping, or death metal tremolo riffs. God knows i couldnt touch simple shred stuff at that speed, but i've done songs with riffs at 280bpm in 16ths, because i could do the simple string crossing and stuff.
yeah, mine is clean, i make sure that its clean before i try going any faster, cause it isnt gonna matter how fast you are if the notes arent clean.

~timepheonix
Quote by TimePheonix
cause it isnt gonna matter how fast you are if the notes arent clean.
Yay!

I now feel that that the original shred defenders have done something.

Quote by Erc
I'm pretty positive that Hammet can't even touch 19nps. (except on tapping, but 19nps for tapping isn't very fast at all)

um actualy 19 nps tapping is pretty fast
meow :3
Um, actually it isn't.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Ironically, it's just as fast.

Whats heavier? A pound of feathers or a pound of lead?

But i digress, with tapping one can reach far higher speeds than that with only moderate skill.
you should technically play scales or across all the strings when you determine your nps.....if your tremolo picking is at 7 nps after 2 years...thats bad. if you can do it sweeping, thats not bad.
does anyone actually know how fast dragonforce can play i remember seein it an a mag before but cant remember hmm....
Beggles

Quote by the humanity

if he does not post pics, he obviously has installed a pickup and bridge on his house broom for some brutal sweep picking.

ummmm... we established that herman li plays 26 nps in "Through The Fire And Flames", so im guessing he could play considerably faster if he wanted to.
Quote by TimePheonix
ummmm... we established that herman li plays 26 nps in "Through The Fire And Flames", so im guessing he could play considerably faster if he wanted to.

Doubt it. Not considerably.