Page 1 of 4
Amputechture is the third album by The Mars Volta. It was recorded in Los Angeles, El Paso, and Melbourne, Australia. The album was produced by Omar Rodriguez-Lopez and mixed by Rich Costey. The cover art features Jeff Jordan's "Big Mutant". A release date of August 15, 2006 has been confirmed by Universal Records. Gold Standard Labs has confirmed that the album will be released on vinyl in September of 2006. The album is said to feature acoustic guitars as well as horns and percussion, utilizing almost a dozen players, including Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist John Frusciante who will be featured as guest guitarist on every track of Amputechture. As of June 28, a single song, Asilos Magdalena has leaked.

Track listing

Vicarious Atonement (7:21)
Tetragrammaton (16:43)
Vermicide (4:17)
Meccamputechture (11:04)
Asilos Magdalena (6:36)
Viscera Eyes (9:25)
Day of the Baphomets (11:58)
El Ciervo Vulnerado (8:59)

Released August 15, 2006
Recorded 2005-2006
Genre Progressive rock
Length 76:23
Label Gold Standard Laboratories
Universal Records
Producer(s) Omar Rodriguez-Lopez

Who else is really excited for this?!

ps - does anyone know where to find that leak?
Schecter C-1 Classic
Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 602
Line 6 DL-4
Line 6 FM-4
Boss MT-2
MXR Phase 90
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah Limited
Electro Harmonix Small Stone
thank you so much
Schecter C-1 Classic
Line 6 DL-4
Line 6 FM-4
Boss MT-2
MXR Phase 90
Thanks alot.
I think Cedric dropped the mic about 20 times cause he was throwing it around so much. He also had a milk crate on his head for a bit. So yeah, it was a good show...crazy kids.

I love the Mars Volta.
if its better than Frances the Mute, then itll be amazing. cant wait to hear it tho!
vermicide has also been leaked! must find.....
my gear
Cube 30
sammick strat rip off
schecter C-1 classic diamond series
Peavey JSX combo
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
A.G.E > grunge
i've got Asilos Magdalena and Vermicide they''re great songs.. love mars volta
Quote by rhcp_fan2210
vermicide has also been leaked! must find.....

IM me for vermicide..
Schecter C-1 Classic
Line 6 DL-4
Line 6 FM-4
Boss MT-2
MXR Phase 90
On a Mars Volta forum they say that Vicarous Atonement has leaked. Does anybody here have this?
I don't think there's much point in listening to it at all until the official one is released.

But I remember a while ago that they mentioned the word "Amputechture" in Kerrang!.

Something like "When I hear that word it means a million different things to me."

Not like I read Kerrang....
Because light strikes a deal with each coming night.
yes, i have vicarious atonement. i am one minute through and it sounds just like pink floyd.
its really good.
musicftm, can you post a yousendit.com link with vicarious atonement?
Schecter C-1 Classic
Line 6 DL-4
Line 6 FM-4
Boss MT-2
MXR Phase 90
4 songs have leaked: Asilos Magdalena, Vicarious Atonement, Vermicide, and Meccamputechture.
Quote by JobForACowboy
um, yes it is.

sry if you havent heard of it, death metal bands that wear girl jeans = emodeath
^ Check your Pm's.

Please??
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
I wish I had had your endurance. Bootlegs and leaks ruined Stadium Arcadium for me, and most likely they'll ruin Amputechture as well.

Not that I dislike Stadium or I plan on disliking Amp. (all the songs I've heard are awesome) but it takes away that certain feeling...

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

The whole album has leaked, minus one song.
Quote by JobForACowboy
um, yes it is.

sry if you havent heard of it, death metal bands that wear girl jeans = emodeath
It was Tetragrammaton but now I got that.
Quote by JobForACowboy
um, yes it is.

The CD is pretty good.
マリ「しあわっせはーあるいってこないだーからあるいってゆっくんだねーん 
いっちにっちいっぽみーかでさんぽ
 さーんぽすすんでにっほさっがるー 
じーんせいはっわんつー!ぱんち・・・

"Success is as dangerous as failure. Hope is as hollow as fear." - from Tao Te Ching

Somebody needs to send me this.

please?

BTW, has anybody heard the rumour that Jon is leaving the band? this better not be true.
this will be awesome. im not gonna download any of the songs. remeber when SOAD released Hypnotize and on MTV.com or whatever they had the whole album stream? yea that ruined the feeling of it for me too. even though it is still one of the best SOAD ever
OMG you admitted to liking korn and soad, you better delete that before some of the metal heads come in riding there new ego fueled cars to bitch you out .

#7 Member of "The Mars Volta Fan Club"
burning for the first listen... a review to follow.

Quote by crazypeanutman

i'm actually kind of dissapointed with some songs.

I think Meccamputechture and Viscera Eyes are outstanding though
Schecter C-1 Classic
Line 6 DL-4
Line 6 FM-4
Boss MT-2
MXR Phase 90
It is definitely the most technically-complicated album the guys have made. Its taking a while to digest, but I'm getting there.
i have it all now, is much better than frances the mute in my opinion, love vermicide and meccamputechture, and does anyone else think it may be flea doing bass on day of the bathomets? will deffo buy this when it comes out still though
My Stuff: Epi Black Beauty Les Paul with Bareknuckle Pickups, Fender Telecaster MIJ, Cort Electro acoustic, E-ross 12 string acoustic, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Cry Baby, BOSS DS-1 , Fulltone OCD, Digitech Whammy, Boss TU-3
Last edited by Guitar_Joe at Jul 7, 2006,
alright guys i just figured out ALL of Viscera on guitar.. including solos and such. i'm gonna tab it out and post it.. gimme a few days though it's a long song :-p

EDIT:

heres a lil preview in drop d tuning

main 2 riffs

---------------------------------------------------------------
-5-5-5-5-5-5-5---8-8-8-3-3-3--4-4-4-4-4-4-----------

and

-----------------------------------------------------
---------5--------3----------------------------------
------5--------3----6--------------------------------
-5-8--------3-----------3-5-7------------------------
Schecter C-1 Classic
Line 6 DL-4
Line 6 FM-4
Boss MT-2
MXR Phase 90
Last edited by xdespairfactor at Jul 14, 2006,
I think the CD is amazing, one of the best first impressions on me ever.

Quote by The Yertle Review, 2006

Amputechture

1. Vicarious Atonement: This song, while not especially a traditional intro, was pretty good. Great guitar and a nice Floydian space rock feel with appropriate vocals. Nice build up towards the end. Hardly the ballad Billiboard made it out to be, though. 7/10

2. Tetragrammaton: From the opening seconds of the song, I knew I'd love it. Psychidelic and frantic, with superb guitar from both Frooshmeister and Omar. The overall impression was of Cicatriz, but didn't find myself getting bored as I do during the midsection of the previously mentioned track. All slow parts explode into brilliance. Cedric has some strong vocals, but already the focus of the album is on the music, and he moves aside much more often to let the musicians take over. His vocal parts are also less standoutish, it seems, though he packs quite a bit of ATDI-like rage. Towards the end of the song there are some great jazz sections, but this barely scrapes the surface of its brilliance. A masterpiece of multiple styles. 10/10

3. Vermicide: Not as interesting as its predecessor. A slinky slowish verse, with a Coheed and Cambria-esque chorus that tests Cedric's vocal prowess. A neurotic bridge inserts a little more into the song. The single, apparently, but not as marketable as the Widow. 8/10

4. Meccamputechture: This song starts off with Cedric doing some very Billy Corgan-like vocals and music akin to Tetragrammaton. Soon after, however, it slows down into a throbbing ryhtmic verse, with infinite ambient variants. The "chorus" is a bit faster, with a falsetto akin to Raine Maida of OLP. Interesting, dark lyrcal theme featuring the repetitious line "humans as ornaments". There is also a free jazz improv section. Not quite as epic as Tetragrammaton, but still a standout. 9/10

5. Asilos Magdelena: The intro to this song is almost akin to the tribal music of South America. Soon after it moves into a typical Spanish ballad with sparse guitar and half whispered Spanish lyrics (translated by me in another thread, typical love/loss song, with a wolf metaphor). Eventually moves into altered electronic guitar noise. Unusual. 8/10

6. Viscera Eyes: It opens with a distorted hip hop beat and blows up into a crunch of metal guitar and Cedric dementedly snarling away in Spanish and English. Brilliant guitar fills and soloing, with a definate Frusciante influence. Breaks off into a climbing bassline and dual soloing. Great, powerful lyrics. The high point of the album, extraordinary song. Creative to the max, the heavy side of TMV at its best. Not a boring note in all its 9 minutes. 11/10

7. Day of the Baphomets: After the superbocity of Viscera, I expected to be let down, but Baphomets was nearly as good. The opening frantic bass solo (presumably by Alderate, a huge Jaco fan) has Pastorius written all over it, speeding through triplets and punchy sixteenths. Blows up into the full band shrieking away and Cedric pouring out in anger - powerful lyrics and distorted sax. The whole piece writhes like a snake. Great drum work, cumulating in a latin precussion section over distorted bass. 10/10

8. El Ciervo Vulnerado: Ends the CD on a relative low note. Slow, mysterious and atmostpheric to a dull point. I'd call it UFO jazz. Still, quality is high, and it is by no means a bomb. 6/10

Overall Impression: The best The Mars Volta work yet. They have refined and focused thier sound while staying just as creative and unique as before, with supressed rage and passion captured well. Great mastery of the instruments and great lyrics. Truly Epic. A-

Needless to say, I liked it

Quote by crazypeanutman

Page 1 of 4