can anyone help me..

i have no idea what music theory is...but i wanted to composed some songs...
so i heard some pros talking about their composition and i asked them...how do
they composed they told me 'music theory' but did'nt told me what it is...so can anyone help with this one...plzzzzzzzzz
Dictionary.com definition:

the study of the theoretical elements of music including sound and pitch, rhythm, melody, harmony, and notation

You do not need to know music theory to be able to play songs at all. If you want to do any form of improv or make your own songs or your curious about why things sound good together you will need music theory. Are you looking for someone to explain to you all of music theory? I think you should do a few searches of the forums to find some beginners articles. try searching for scales in the beginning. Youll need scales. Pick n grin's videos also are great.
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
thx for the advice i can play songs...but i want to compose my own and have a good sound together,...
Quote by aL13
thx for the advice i can play songs...but i want to compose my own and have a good sound together,...
I salute you for your willingness to take the first step on a journey that is easy to start but impossible to finish. I think you'd do well to pick a theory book written for beginners, work through it, and apply as much as you possibly can of everything you learn to your playing and writing. Here it is in a nutshell:

1. Pick a book.
2. Work through it.
3. Apply what you learn.
4. Return to step #1.

Good luck and have fun.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Mate, it will take some time before you can compose good music, unless your some frikin Mozart(no one actually likes him anyway). If you are a beginner in MT then you will need to get basic understanding, which is found in many of the articles posted here on UG, and then progress on to more advanced stuff.

It can be gruelling at times to understand something, but once you have most of it, its pissin great.

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
^ it'll take you no time at all to compose something if you just compose rather than amass the tools for making music.

Not that im saying dont learn theory, or how to play well, but you should ALWAYS be writing.
Well gpb has got it right, but I know that many people are against buying things. Anyways, a good place to get your head around basic theory is with this article:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html

Courtesy of slash_pwns

I think its the best article on here for music theory in general, and if you are unsure of any points in it, either find the article on UG that zeros in on that idea, or ask in MT.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
Quote by Freepower
^ it'll take you no time at all to compose something....

Yeah, I kinda pointed out clearly that it would take time to compose something good.

Oooh, Im loving the Italics today.

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.