Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, quick question. I want to tune one of my guitars down to drop B and I need some kind of idea what string guages to go for. For standard tuning I use 9s but I hate the floppy feeling of the E when I drop it down, so I need a slightly thicker 6th string. Any ideas?

Ibanez RG1570
Epiphone Black Beauty
Line 6 Spider II 112
BOSS CS-3 Compression Sustainer
If it's lower, use a thinker gague. And what can you do with drop B? And unless you have a floyd rose, no use changing strings for a tunning.
i would use 13s or 12s
GOMEZ
Originally posted by Marroon5MustDie
It's spelled khoyaschotsii. Trust me, I'm a Native American. My name is Running Rainbow.
drop b is the metal tuning nowadays, like slipknot. i think the only thing worth playing at drop B is damageplan
i dunno, i read in a GW once that zakk wylde uses a .70 for the low E.
assuming the tuning you mean is
BADGBe

right?
1. why would you want to drop b it?
2. I dont think its even possible without a baritone.
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
^ wylde uses a 60 and that tuning would sound like **** unless it was a full seven string with the e above the b........of course u can tune down to b without a baritone...
GOMEZ
Originally posted by Marroon5MustDie
It's spelled khoyaschotsii. Trust me, I'm a Native American. My name is Running Rainbow.
I want to use C#, G#, E, B, F#, B tuning. Sorry, I didn't know drop B could also mean B, A, D, G, B, E. It's just for a change, standard is getting a little stale so I'm trying something else. I'm gonna do it on my Les Paul so I can change tunings a bit.
Ibanez RG1570
Epiphone Black Beauty
Line 6 Spider II 112
drop b ?
omg
that'll sound like an old man's fart.

i think drop C# is enough . perhaps drop C.
Gear:::

Schecter C1 Classic - drop C - .11's
Ibanez rg321 (emg 81/85) - drop D - .10's
----------------------
Peavey 6505+
Peavey XXX 412 cab
Crate VTX212b Combo - practice amp.
----------------------
ibanez TS9

i tune to C Standard with 12-54... i would use 11-58 for drop B...
Founder of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join

Member #6 'I <3 mids' club. PM Roc8995.

My Name is: Tony
Yeh, anything played in drop B sounds like and old man's fart jeezo try to help in some way please.

Can anyone suggesting guages put the guage of every string please? Just cos there are loads of different combinations 11-58 or whatever could mean. Thanx
Ibanez RG1570
Epiphone Black Beauty
Line 6 Spider II 112
Last edited by PT 2 DOOR RULE at Jun 30, 2006,
Drop B with standard guitar pickups will sound horrible. I'd just play a 7 string which the 7th string pole is specially made to pick up low frequency sounds with clarity, tuned BEADGBe
Ibanez Prestige RG1570 ftw!
listen to heartwork by carcass... they tuned down to B standard with standard ibanez pickups... tell me that tone sounds horrible
Founder of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join

Member #6 'I <3 mids' club. PM Roc8995.

My Name is: Tony
Somehow I doubt Carcass use "standard" Ibanez pickups...probably some sort of high output pickups...
both slipknot players have EMG 81/60 pickups and use these custom gauge strings Ernie Ball:

.018 (I use in here a .019, but it's only my preference)

I recommend Drop than B standard

One question: Why people hate so much the low tunings? I don't understand
Last edited by acc_corey3 at Jun 30, 2006,
one more thing: there's a list of groupsz using Drop B or other low tunings

Slipknot - Drop B & Drop A in some of Iowa songs (wrongs: it isn't the pickup. It's the amp who makes low tunings ****ty

Machine Head - Drop B

Ektomorf - Drop B

Korn - 7string 1 step down

Limp Bizkit - (crappy Ones) - 7string drop A

And... , well i'll post more
I've done drop B on your typical 11 guage set.

It was a little floppy, so i'd reccomend at least a 12 set
see if you've adjusted all well (bridge, etc.) I saw it in a interview with Jim Root from Slipknot (and in ernie Ball site)
IMO bands should just use seven strings for anything beyond Drop C...and the amp does deliver the final say on tone but the difference between the 6th string on a guitar tuned to B and a 7 string standard is hugely noticable. The pickups do play a part in low tunings.
true, but 6 string B sounds better in some styles (it's all preference)
Last edited by acc_corey3 at Jun 30, 2006,
All my favourite players have low strings (but Mike Oldfield)

I'm thinking in a Drop A tuning. The 5th string would be and E like a standard 6th
and buy the EMG pickups, cuz they respect all frequences more than standard pickups
dude just use 11s they're plenty thick enuf or get a hybrid set that has thicker E,A and D strings
Cmstar90: i have too lisen to a song for hours just to figure out of one part it sound and how to move my fingers tso that it sounds that way
Cmstar90: when u seem to figure it out in seconds
ive just got some Ernie Ball less than slinky's and i think the lowest i've de-tuned them to is dop A at the moment so i reccomend them
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
when people say drop a do they tune the 7th or 6th string to a? if they tune the 6th string to a they shouldn't be allowed to live... slayer and black sabbath and judas priest and iron maiden and metallica and megadeth and all those old bands got really heavy sounds from standard tuning

also if you really want to be badass, play in open d, open g, or dadgad... real metalheads use open tunings
Muddy Waters invented electricity.
Quote by thegreensquall
when people say drop a do they tune the 7th or 6th string to a? if they tune the 6th string to a they shouldn't be allowed to live... slayer and black sabbath and judas priest and iron maiden and metallica and megadeth and all those old bands got really heavy sounds from standard tuning

also if you really want to be badass, play in open d, open g, or dadgad... real metalheads use open tunings

Actually Black Sabbath dowtuned like a biatch cuz of Tony Iommi's fake fingertips.
Quote by thegreensquall

slayer used Eb and now uses C#
Black Sabbath used E and now uses C#
Metallica use Eb, D, Drop C# and drop C
Ibanez RG1570
Epiphone Black Beauty
Line 6 Spider II 112
I tried using the D'addario .013s to .056? and drop A, and it is still a bit floppy, but you can still live with it

I am using .015s now and baritone just kicks ass, super deep chunk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Death metal>?
i put my old guitar in Bb just to see what would happen.
my tuner went bezerk.
i had to tune it down from C by myself.
theres no need to go down that far.
breaking benjamins new song diary of jane is tuned all the way down to A.
i was shocked, it would be a shame if all there new stuff was down that far..cause i love theyre stuff.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
"Drop B" is, from low to high, B F# B E G# C#.

Baritone guitars are tuned B E A D G B.

And regarding Diary of Jane by Breaking Benjamin, that is actually in dropped Bb, at least according to the highest rated tab on UG.
I also forgot to add that you shouldn't get too heavy of strings because you will have to end up modifying your nut. Get a baritone and enjoy it. Baritones are heavenly
Yea, baritone guitars kick all basses and guitar's asses!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, with the right distortion, the chunk you get for metal can make you bleed.

and with the right effects (OD) you can create drooling solos.
I use 56-12 for the Breaking Benjamin tabs I do. At least I think it's 56-12.......maybe it's 56-13 (even better).
Page 1 of 2