Ok there are three different types of necks:

Bolt-On

Set-In

Neck Thru

What is the pros and cons of each.

I Like my SZ set in and i was at a store and i played a JEM and i found that i liked my neck much more. it has a set-in neck and the JEM Has a bolt on. So i was wondering why would Steve vai use a bolt on and not a set in or neck thru?

Confused
Member #25 of the Ibanez SZ over RG Club! PM ibanez4life SZ! to join

Ibanez SZ320BK, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Statocaster, Laney Cub 12

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
Maybe Vai prefers a bolt-on?

Set and neck-thru's have more sustain and usually better upper fret access. Although, if your neck breaks, you'd most likely have to get a new guitar...
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
bolt ons (use 4 or 3 bolts) are cheap and easy to fix if you break them, bad bolt ons have trouble of reaching the higher frets, but good ones are great.

set in's (supposedly have more sustain, but I don't believe it) are not as easy to fix, but bad set ins can have bad fret access also.

neck through (neck and body one piece?) not really an expert on neck thru's, but I know they have great fret access.
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Bolt Ons=

Worst upper fret access worst sustain and tone

more convenience due to easier repair

Set Neck=

Better upper fret access and sustain

harder to repair (you will have to glue it or saw it off and glue a new one on which is EXPENSIVE)

Neck Thru

Best upper fret access and same sustain as set neck

Unrepairable if neck breaks. You can glue it but the playability will go down because you will be able to feel the crease where it was glued.
Quote by Ihearthetfield
Bolt Ons=

Worst upper fret access worst sustain and tone

Set Neck=

Better upper fret access and sustain

Not necessarily. There are horible set necks and awesome bolt-ons (I got an awesome bolt on on my Ibanez RG.)
Quote by sethp

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
A good bolt-on will sustain longer than some set necks. And bolt on joints aren't always that bad.

Thicker necks are usually set, thinner ones are bolted. Don't ask why. I don't know.
If the bolt on is fixed in tightly and is done well then it can sustain equally as well if not better than set necks. Meh it's debatable whether there's any difference at all other than feel, etc.
Personally i find my SZ has better reach to the upper frets. Maybe it cause its anttached to the body at the 19th fret and not the 17th.

I was gonna get a Ibanez JEM 7V WH for R7000 ($1000) NEW!!! the shop had a sale one day only and i could not get it cause my parents were busy. I went the day after and i tried it and i found it played and sounded like a dream BUT the reach wasnt too good.
I play lead and i found this a big turn off.

Do you have the same problems?

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
Anybody have any info

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
i think i got why

Its cause it is 24 frets. So it will be two frets longer and that is why i have the stretch so much to get to the 24th fret

so anyways back on topic. whats the pros and cons of each type of construction

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
bolt on and set necks can both have the same sustain. it depends on the guitar brand.

when it comes to better construction, go with the quality control, word of mouth on the brand over joint technique.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
yeh and also feel the joint and heel cos we all know its hard to get the 21st fret on strats due to the heel block
Bolt Ons: 2 Types

Heel Joint

AANJ (All Access Neck Joint)

AANJ are usually on more expensive guitars. But I hope that clears it up on why bolt ons arent too bad.
Ibanez Prestige RG1570 ftw!
well nobody has really explained neck thru that great so:

neck thru is one piece from the tip of the neck to behind the bridge of the guitar. this means everything is pretty much attached to one solid piece of wood (except electronics). this means they sustain much better than set or bolt on. i never really realise much sustain difference between set and bolt, but set thru is very noticable. the upper frets are incredibly easier to access. the overall tone of the guitar is improved because there is not much lost vibration. but like said, if it breaks or warps you are screwed.
Vocals Wanted For:
Tool-Sober, Aenema
Led Zeppelin-The Ocean
Audioslave-Cochise
Sublime-Santeria
Rush-Tom Sawyer, Fly By Night, Limelight
Assorted Original Acoustics

PM if interested
I know the difference and thanx for all the info.

Do you find it hard to reach the upper frets of a bolt on guitar? Namely a 24 fret.

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
^ sometimes, yeah.
the
music and soul of love and hope and light manifesting in our minds, trapping whats left of us in our hearts.
where theres nowhere to go.

Quote by I_Pwn
Ostin, you are the pwnzorz and my new hero for that flame.

and this is a guy who's name is "i pwn"
not that hard on my rg...
Quote by sethp

Quote by Distortion_101
I know the difference and thanx for all the info.

Do you find it hard to reach the upper frets of a bolt on guitar? Namely a 24 fret.

depends on how the neck joint is shaped