Ive read many interviews with Yngwie Malmsteen and now the main one on UG's page with Herman Li. Ive noticed that both have said that they never practiced any excercises. Do you think this is true? If so, what did they practice?
They DID practice exercises.

They just didn't consider them "exercises" per se.

It's an ego thing to say like "Hey I'm awesome but I never practice unlike YOU har har har."

That's the only ego-driven thing I read in that interview btw. I didn't see anything along the lines of an Yngwie type attitude.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
I barely ever practice exercises either, I really don't think they're that important. I think the only thing that's going to make your posture, or whatever, better, is to keep your axe off the stand and on your shoulder. And playing with others is the best way to learn how to keep in time and such..
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by Deliriumbassist
plus Herman Li is a very pretentious bastard... good guitarist though... bloody good

Not really that technically capable, just hella fast, there is a difference. There are ALOT of people ahead of him.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by HavokStrife
I barely ever practice exercises either, I really don't think they're that important. I think the only thing that's going to make your posture, or whatever, better, is to keep your axe off the stand and on your shoulder. And playing with others is the best way to learn how to keep in time and such..

exercises are EXTREMELY important... there's no point going off and doing the technical stuff, cos then the simple stuff, you'll get sloppy at.... I spent a whole week just practicing playing 8th, 16th and 32nd notes, just to make sure my timing and rhythm keeping was still up to strength. And practicing scales constantly. Plus, the exercises can keep your fingers nimble and stuff. On a final note, exercises are harder when slower... you really need to think when playing slow
Yngwie is an asshole

Its kinda funny. He's a good guitarist but at the same time he thinks he is so sexy but hes old. The button down shirt and bare chest thing with leather pants is hilarious
Quote by JET116
Yngwie is an asshole

Its kinda funny. He's a good guitarist but at the same time he thinks he is so sexy but hes old. The button down shirt and bare chest thing with leather pants is hilarious

I don't really blame Yngwie for his attitude, after all, when he first hit the scene, his idol (Ritchie Blackmore) said that he was ****e. Plus, to be fair, he is always interesting. Be anything but dull.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Might be true.. that doesn't mean you don't have to.. or if you don't it's just your way.. Oh well. Don't fret about it.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
They DID practice exercises.

They just didn't consider them "exercises" per se.

It's an ego thing to say like "Hey I'm awesome but I never practice unlike YOU har har har."

That's the only ego-driven thing I read in that interview btw. I didn't see anything along the lines of an Yngwie type attitude.

No, it's not an ego thing they say.

They just never did chromatics and all that stuff like for example Steve Vai's 10 hour workout, and nor did I myself... They just take parts of songs or compose etudes or whatever to practice...

So I don't really see where the problem lies.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Prophet of Page
I don't really blame Yngwie for his attitude, after all, when he first hit the scene, his idol (Ritchie Blackmore) said that he was ****e. Plus, to be fair, he is always interesting. Be anything but dull.

what?? He's a grown man

he is an ass end of story
^And you're a judgemental knowitall.

How the hell do you know he's an ass? Have you talked to him? Have you even heard him speak on more than one occasion? Do you know ANYTHING about him other than third person reports?

Get your own opinion and facts first before you call anyone an ass homeboy.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
Quote by Prophet of Page
Not really that technically capable, just hella fast, there is a difference. There are ALOT of people ahead of him.

This isn't sarcastic in any way, but go and tell me some of these people please.
Banter Assassin. Every thread I touch dies.

Quote by Danno13
YDPBC > awesome.

Why Thank You.
Quote by Y.D.P.B.C
This isn't sarcastic in any way, but go and tell me some of these people please.

Shawn Lane, Paul Gilbert, Reb Beach, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, Kiko Loureiro, Stochelo Rosenberg, Jimmy Rosenberg, Andy Timmons, Steve Morse, Guthrie Govan, Angelo Debarre, Bireli Lagrene, Gary Wehrkampf, Samson Schmitt, Dorado Schmitt, Marty Friedman, Jason Becker, Bruce Bouillet, Al Di Meola, Alan Murphy, Alex Skolnick, Allan Holdsworth, Antonio Forcione, Brett Garsed, Greg Howe, Frank Gambale, Ron Thal, Mattias IA Eklundh, Eric Johnson, Nuno Bettencourt, George Bellas, Theodore Ziras, Marcel Coenen, Goncalo Pereira, Scott Henderson, John Mclaughlin, Joe Pass, Joey Tafolla, Tony Macalpine, Richie Kotzen, Dave Fuiczinsky, Michael Romeo, Tak Matsumoto, Steve Lukather, Vinnie Moore, ...

Heck, I'd go on, but I have to go... There's a LOT more.

Click.
Y.D.P.B.C... you got owned.
the
music and soul of love and hope and light manifesting in our minds, trapping whats left of us in our hearts.
where theres nowhere to go.

Quote by I_Pwn
Ostin, you are the pwnzorz and my new hero for that flame.

and this is a guy who's name is "i pwn"
Quote by Ostin
Y.D.P.B.C... you got owned.

dude, it was a genuine question, fair enough.
Banter Assassin. Every thread I touch dies.

Quote by Danno13
YDPBC > awesome.

Why Thank You.
Yeah, and the answer to the question is gonna be useful for me in trying to find some inspiration.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
I don't see the point of exercises, they are just good for the exercises themselves and nothing else. Just like carcinogens, they are good for causing cancer only, not flu or cold or AIDS, just cancer.

Scales are ok though..I don't consider them exercises, and herman li did tons of them.
Quote by Resiliance
^And you're a judgemental knowitall.

How the hell do you know he's an ass? Have you talked to him? Have you even heard him speak on more than one occasion? Do you know ANYTHING about him other than third person reports?

Get your own opinion and facts first before you call anyone an ass homeboy.

He is famous for being a pompous ass im not pulling this out of my ass.

and it is my opinion AND the facts. is he not an ass?
maybe he holds that attidute so people will go out of their way to argue about him on websites furthering his publicity for free?

sure he comes of as a complete jackass but who knows, maybe his celebrity side is like that for a reason?

Sunburst ESP Viper-400 with EMG combo
Ibanez Talman Elec-Acoustic
1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
I've seen a couple of (and read many more) interviews with Yngwie, and I've never seen him act like the tool he is portrayed as. He joked with the interviewers and was very pleasant throughout. I think he may have been a douche a long time ago but I think the myth has just lasted far too long.
Ibanez RG1570
Epiphone Black Beauty
Line 6 Spider II 112
BOSS CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Quote by JET116
He is famous for being a pompous ass im not pulling this out of my ass.

and it is my opinion AND the facts. is he not an ass?

He's not famous for being a pompous ass, NOR is it the facts.

He might've been a tickle on the arrogant side in his teens (86-90) but nowhere near an ass, and he certainly hasn't been throughout the last 10 years.

If you had any clue and did not just repeat what others have told you, you'd know that. He isn't an ass at all, takes time for his fans, everything.

Quote by PT 2 DOOR RULE
I've seen a couple of (and read many more) interviews with Yngwie, and I've never seen him act like the tool he is portrayed as. He joked with the interviewers and was very pleasant throughout. I think he may have been a douche a long time ago but I think the myth has just lasted far too long.

Exactly.

Click.
ya i dont understand why he syas he doesnt do exercises he has to do some even if it is just chromatic ****. i try to incorpoprate exercises in **** into doing scales.
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
thats b.s. i like herman li, but for him to say he didnt do exercizes is a load, he is the definition of someone who did exercizes, he is a straight up textbook guy playing fast stuff