Well, I have a Soundgear by Ibanez, a SR300DX and I thought "Hey, what if I defret it?!" But I'm not sure.
I'll post pics of it sometime soon but still, is it worth it??.
I play lots of stuff, from classic rock to heavy metal and the bass suits. Actually I'm in a heavy metal band with the bass and I don't know if defreted it'll work for that.
I need opinions please, sorry for the grammar, I'm not a native english speaker.
Opinions and thoughts please!
Gear:

Ibanez SoundGear SR300DX Bass

Digitech BP200
It depends, do you do much soloing or do you just want a lot of bass for doing basselines under a really heavy guitar(s)?

Btw you can speak english a lot better then some people on here.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
well I like the occasional solo, but for that particular band I need a lot of bass even though the pickups give me more than enough.
so you think I should do it? I'd really appreciate your feedback!!

oh and, really? my english ain't that good xD thank you anyway xD
Gear:

Digitech BP200
Steve DiGiorgio is a renowned metal bassist that plays defretted, so I don't think you need to worry too much about fretless not working for your band.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
i play a fretless in my band, and we're like metal/thrash, and it works really well. just because you're in a metal band doesn't mean you can limit yourself. however, it takes a short while to get used to fretless, and to get the intonation.

and im english, i can admit your english > most peoples on here who ARE english
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
seems like a good idea, but get flatwounds, DEFINITELY get flatwounds.

do you do slap alot? if so, you will gert a bunch of crap on slapping fretless, yet I find it smoother and just as good as fretted.

your english is excellent, can't say the same for some people on here.

good luck
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
seems like a good idea, but get flatwounds, DEFINITELY get flatwounds.

or coat the fingerboard

do you do slap alot? if so, you will gert a bunch of crap on slapping fretless, yet I find it smoother and just as good as fretted.

i slap on my fretless. sure, its not as good, but its that "unique" slap tone. but slapping annihilates your fretboard

Quote by metaldud536

what's the difference between a flatwound and a roundwound? :S:S
Gear:

Digitech BP200
roundwound: general strings (you see the string wrapped around an inner core)

flatwound: you can't see it wrapped (ive not seen any up close, so i cant say exactly)

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by IndieMetalhead
i slap on my fretless. sure, its not as good, but its that "unique" slap tone. but slapping annihilates your fretboard

not if you use flat wounds

and flatwounds are strings that are wound with flatter metal than regular roundwound strings to give a smoother string. if you have played an upright bass, you will have noticed the strings are smoother. those are flatwound strings.
aren't uprights nylon strung?

Quote by metaldud536

oh :O those are flatwounds? ok xD. I've playd upright and I loved it but that's not the case really here. Ill post pics next reply but a general question: Defret or no? (If the answer is 'yes' than should I fill the holes with epoxy or a contrasting wood so I'll have markers?)
Gear:

Digitech BP200
fill it with any colour wood. contrasting just gives it that fretted look. if you wanted to, you could go all out and take the inlays out, and then fill it with the nearest colour

Quote by metaldud536

How do I take the inlays out? o.O" It would look cool like that. anyway, here are the promised pictures

Look at that, ain't it beautiful?

SoundGear by Ibanez...sorry for the dirtyness xD

The neckless bass

Now, how to go about the actual defreting process?

I know that I have to heat the frets but, do the kinda 'pop out' at least a bit when heated? also, how much do I heat them?

wich do you find better? epoxy or wood? I loke the contrast wood but I'm also looking for something practical.

And lastly, someone said something about ¿protecting? the fretboard so the roundwounds won't hurt it. I'll get the flatwounds but, what's that?
As always, I really appreciate all of you guy's help.
Gear:

Digitech BP200
Last edited by Ierius at Jun 30, 2006,
Hey its tom, this is basically what I done, actually its exactly what I done...

1) Take off your neck, etc then with the help of a mate of yours you need to use a soldering iron to heat up the frets until the glue bubles which doesnt take that long. After this you keep heating the frets while wont you you's gets a flat headed screwdriver, a small one, and begins to slowly, very slowly lift up the fret. It takes a while but just remember to use a **** load of heat. then do this for every fret. There will be little marks in the fret board from where to frets were, this is just because of the teeth in the bottom of the fret, sands out easy as.

2) I then bought a 1 mm wide file to use as a widening tool to make the markers to the timber filler. I had to use a hack saw just to clean of the slot and to make it easier for the file to get into.

3) File the gaps...

4) Then with some timber, dont use pine, please dont, i did in mine and the wood was **** and u dont want your neck to be all gay blah blah, so use a hardwood You then need to cut down strips of the wood to the size that you need for the gap, i use one mm. Try to get a timber place to do the cutting for you, it might cost a few bucks, but saves a shit load of hand sawing man

5) You then need to make the slots level with the fretboard, once you have done that sand down useing a flexible sanding black to keep the curve of the neck.

6) Once you have it puuuuurfecto, use oil to make it look nice and to seal the wood. Use flat wounds man, you dont want to ruin your all your work now would you lol.

You owe me sex for that
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
huh? o.O"
Gear:

Digitech BP200
Quote by IndieMetalhead
aren't uprights nylon strung?

If you mean a double bass, then no, they have steel strings wrapped in rubber.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
allright, I'm trying to start to take out the frets but! my soldering iron doesn't heat up enough at the tip! i've been holding it against the fret for like 15 minutes and nothing! :S....how long will this teka? xD
Gear:

Digitech BP200
Quote by lespaulmarshall
u dont want your neck to be all gay blah blah

I didn't know a guitar could be gay!? how does that work then?
EH

You people just get stupider and stupider...
EH

hey! no need to insult man..
Gear:

Digitech BP200
no need to be homophobic then. Sry i just feel strongly about this kind of thing.
EH

Last edited by eddiehimself at Jul 1, 2006,
allright then, no prob.

anyway, the soldering iron's heating up right now, I hope I don't mess this up xD, wish me luck. I'll keep posting here with pics when I have SOME progress xDD
Gear:

Digitech BP200
man, this is BS....the fret is like melting (I'm just exaggerating its really really hot), I just burnt a finger and the bugger STILL doesn't come out!!!!!!! I don't know what to do... Maybe I'll just leave it as it is...
Gear:

Digitech BP200