im looking at buying a new guitar and i was looking at some ESP's, heres a link

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_ax.html

or

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_mh.html

im also looking at some jacksons, i liek the kvx10, i would prefer ot have a FR on the guitar and mi limit is around £400 so around $750 ish

so i wanted to know if agathis is bad and also what guitars i should recemond getting, i prefer guitars with thinner necks, dont ralyl like LP necks even if they are nice to look out, so yeh????
agathis sucks, anyway i like strats, i find the necks easy to get around, the necks are thin, but people say they are to wide, i dunno, i like em, you should check one out
does, oh , okay, lol, i like strats but i have 2, well there shaped like fender strats, so i just call em strats, one is more ibanezy though, hmm, okay,

how bad is agathis, is it like hte worst wood i could want, or is it decent enough, i like metal btw, im just a bit of a nooby, i dunno, but to most people wood makes so muhc difference, so just wondering
It has poor tonal qualities, but it is a light wood. For $750 bucks you can get a great guitar in a Schecter C-1 Classic, Some sick Ibanez or even other ESP's. Just look for something in the 400 series or above
Isnt agathis just asian alder thats less expensive than american? Im not sure if it effects sound but it doesnt seem that bad.
Take my word get a Shecter C-1 Classic or C-1 Hellraiser. Those are possibly the two best sounding guitars I have ever heard under 1000$ next to Carvins.

I played them both at guitar center and I'm like "WTF I can't believe these are 700 dollars they sound great"
Quote by Noverion
does, oh , okay, lol, i like strats but i have 2, well there shaped like fender strats, so i just call em strats, one is more ibanezy though, hmm, okay,

how bad is agathis, is it like hte worst wood i could want, or is it decent enough, i like metal btw, im just a bit of a nooby, i dunno, but to most people wood makes so muhc difference, so just wondering

oh you like metal? try and ibanez RG out, go to ibanez and check out that series
Am I the only person who's had no problems with Agathis? Agathis can sound muddy at times, but that's cos of my muddy little amp. If I run my GSA60 into a good amp, it's really great.

And yes, I HAVE tried other woods. Agathis doesn't match the others, but it's not THAT bad.

Besides, there are guitars made of masonite (*cough*Danelectro*cough*) which actually sound great, and they're not even real wood.
Besides, there are guitars made of masonite (*cough*Danelectro*cough*) which actually sound great, and they're not even real wood.

Ah. I read about them. Isn't it like chipboard?
I was going to buy one. But then i got scared i'd drop it and it would split in half or something.
Agathis is pretty lacking tonaly. It'd be fine for metal, and with good pups it could be a nice guitar.
Dave_Mc's 10 Golden electric guitar commandments state:
3: Thou shalt not buy a guitar made of a crap wood (agathis, plywood, etc.).
Gear:
Black Jackson Dinky 2
Peavey Envoy 110
and that's it.
Quote by wind88
Dave_Mc's 10 Golden electric guitar commandments state:
3: Thou shalt not buy a guitar made of a crap wood (agathis, plywood, etc.).

Thats his opinion, its all personal preferance. Just like how he doesnt like JB's.
Just because he has conmandments doesnt mean he should tell you what you should buy. Personally i had a low end BC rich that wasnt half bad.
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
Quote by ProjectDark
Thats his opinion, its all personal preferance. Just like how he doesnt like JB's.
Just because he has conmandments doesnt mean he should tell you what you should buy. Personally i had a low end BC rich that wasnt half bad.

Well, guess you're right.
Gear:
Black Jackson Dinky 2
Peavey Envoy 110
and that's it.
Quote by sashki
Am I the only person who's had no problems with Agathis? Agathis can sound muddy at times, but that's cos of my muddy little amp. If I run my GSA60 into a good amp, it's really great.

And yes, I HAVE tried other woods. Agathis doesn't match the others, but it's not THAT bad.

Any guitar will sound good through an expensive amp. Agathis wouldn't be a good idea if you want tone and warmth, mahogany the way to go
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
FWIW: From http://www.agathis.info/guitars.php

What is Agathis?

Agathis is the name for a genus of giant tropical conifer trees found in rain forests in the tropical far east and the southwest Pacific. The genus is a member of the Araucariaceae, the plant family which includes the monkey-puzzles and Cook-pines as well as the recently discovered Wollemi Pine, a botanical ?living fossil? from New South Wales in Australia. The Araucariaceae belongs to a group of plants known as the conifers, which also includes the pine family (pines, spruces, larches, firs, cedars), the podocarp family (podocarps, kahikatea, totara, etc.) and the cypress family (swamp-cypresses, giant sequoias, junipers & cypresses). The timber is immensely useful (see below) and is increasingly used, or so it would seem, for making guitars.

Where does Agathis come from?

Agathis grows in rain forests right across southeast Asia and the western Pacific, from Malaysia in the west through Indonesia, Brunei, the Phillippines, and Papua New Guinea to Australia (Queensland), New Zealand (northern North Island), the Santa Cruz group of the Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, New Caledonia and Fiji in the east. A little map is available below: the shaded areas indicate parts of the world within which stands of the tree may be found, rather than vast forests of the trees. Where most of the wood being used in guitar-making comes from I do not know, but it seems unlikely to be New Zealand (where most of the forests are protected) or or New Caledonia (where many Agathis stands have been logged out). Click on the map for a larger version.

What sort of wood is it?

Agathis species are often called ?kauri?/?kaori? or ?dammar?/?damar? (from Polynesian and Malay words respectively), and the timber is sometimes referred to as ?commercial grade mahogany?.

Conifer wood is often called ?softwood?, although conifers vary greatly with respect to the structural properties of their wood, and the lumping together of all conifer woods as ?softwoods? is not always helpful.

The following information on Agathis wood is taken from page 39, section 8.1 (Timber) of T. C. Whitmore?s 1977 publication ?A first look at Agathis? (published by the Commonwealth Forestry Institute, Oxford).

?The timber is straight-grained, with a fine, even, silky texture and a lustrous surface. It is pale straw to yellow-brown in colour, uniform, light, strong, knot-free and easily worked. Density at 15 percent moisture content was 0.47 gm/ml (29.4 lb/cu ft) .?

?The comment in New Zealand that ?there is no more generally useful softwood? can be applied to all Agathis. Uses are legion, including for panelling, cabinet-making, joinery, turnery, mouldings, pattern-making, battery separators, piano parts and artificial limbs. The wood has no odour and is therefore good for tea-chests and butter-boxes. It is highly sought after for boat-building and for masts.?

?The timber is not durable but takes preservatives easily.?

As mentioned above, a decent tube amp will probably make any tonewood sound decent.
Is agathis bad?hmm..hahaha,obviously its bad!
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Invictious
Is agathis even wood, or is it just plastic? Well agathis is a great firewood, so...

YAY!!! GOOD FIREWOOD
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
I had a guitar made of agathis. The tone was sub-par. It dents horribly, really soft wood.
I want kirks ESP i this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdwrj3NaWjU&search=metallica

it is the one metallica video, kirk is playing a fender ESP

anyone know where i can find one??
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
Quote by Guitarplaya27
I want kirks ESP i this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdwrj3NaWjU&search=metallica

it is the one metallica video, kirk is playing a fender ESP

anyone know where i can find one??

I've seen a bunch of those in Japan where they take a Fender Hotrod or whatever you call those HSS or SSS MIJ/CIJ Fender Strats with the DiMarzios + Floyd Rose and replace them with either MIJ ESP or Schecter necks. There's one at our local store (not GC) available for a cool $800, used ... black body, black PG, satin and fast maple/rosewood(?) neck.

The one on sale looks exactly like mine except for the ESP (or Schecter) neck that the Japanese modders love ... you can see it in my build thread.
oo, okay, hmm, maybe ill just wait till ive got more money and go for a somethin made of mahogany
imo, not really. its not great but not good. i played an Epoch by Gibson les paul that was made out of ply wood and with decent electroncs it didnt sound too bad. agathis dont either if you change electronics.
Du Hast Meche

Member 21 of "I Survived UG Pwn Day"

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.