Hey this is a real noobie question seeing how I've been playing guitar for about 3 years. I'm looking into buying a new amp cause I only have a 30 watt Vox (Its been pretty good for me for the last couple years and has a great sound).

I want a bigger louder amp but I really don't know how they work with the heads and cabinets and all. I've been looking at that new crate powerblock (150 watts) but wtf do I do with that and and a regular amp? If this isn't making any sense so far, I'm trying to say how do I match an amp head and a cabinet together like a full stack or half stack and what things go good together?
~To live is to die~
an amp head includes a power amp (powers the amp and the speakers in a cab), and a preamp (shapes the tone). Heads can be tube, solid state or Hybrid (mix between tube and solid state).

a cabinet is basically a box with speakers in it, it needs a poweramp to power it.

a combo (lke your 30watt vox) is essentially a cabinet and an amp head (poweramp and preamp) all in one unit.

how do you match a head and a cab? different combinations create different sounds, all you have to do is match the ohms output for the head and match that with any compatable cab.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
allright you should get something thats flexible and problably tube oh and cheap, you could land an orange amp but they arent cheap but you could go with epiphones new all tube head and match it with an orange, marshall, or vox cabinet and most likely not buy a new amp for a long time, but if you dont want tube you should go with a line-6 because they are pretty cheap and they actually sound pretty good for a ss amp. and they are loud so thats pretty cool. just some things to remember though, a tube amp will useually sound twice as loud as its ss equivilent (ie 50w tube=100w ss) and buy pretty much anything becides a crate, they are a cheap amp: they dont sound very good . if you need cheap go with carvin they make very good quality stuff thats a very big bargin, oh and dont buy a name because names are worthless when it comes to good sound.
~jacob
Quote by sempri_fi
allright you should get something thats flexible and problably tube oh and cheap, you could land an orange amp but they arent cheap but you could go with epiphones new all tube head and match it with an orange, marshall, or vox cabinet and most likely not buy a new amp for a long time, but if you dont want tube you should go with a line-6 because they are pretty cheap and they actually sound pretty good for a ss amp. and they are loud so thats pretty cool. just some things to remember though, a tube amp will useually sound twice as loud as its ss equivilent (ie 50w tube=100w ss) and buy pretty much anything becides a crate, they are a cheap amp: they dont sound very good . if you need cheap go with carvin they make very good quality stuff thats a very big bargin, oh and dont buy a name because names are worthless when it comes to good sound.
~jacob

Every setup you listed was a name brand. Line 6 amps SUCK!
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen

ok sure alot of solid state amps suck when cranked but a lne-6 is flexible as all hell and if you only use half of the 150 watts its going to sound very good especally the clean, a friend of mine has a line 6 veta (i think thats how its spelled) and its 300w but he only uses about 3/4 of the max output and it sounds better than alot of tube amps ive heard
and how the hell will he know what im talking about if i start listng off private amp manufacturers? plus mass produced stuff might not be the best quality but it's cheaper than most of the private stuff.
oh and with tube heads especially you need to match the inpeadance (ohms) of the cabinet with the head so nothing breaks, look it up on google if you dont allready know.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen

Providing you're not getting a Spider, their amps aren't that bad. Though you can still get a tube combo for the price of most of them....
^ i agree, line 6 amps do not all suck. there are lots of artists that use line 6 amps, and line 6 pedals/multi fx pedals, by this, i dont mean that if artists do it then it must be good, im just saying that its a preference, and if people who can afford pretty much anythign choose to use a line 6 amp (be it vetta series, or flextones) then it is worth its cause. So dont go poluting preference by going out and insisting that line 6 amps suck.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville