anyone own one of these? I suspect my low-end Ibanez will shat out on me in a few more months (been 1.5 years) and I've been looking for a new guitar.
This model's style and accessories really appeals to me. Im not fond of gibsons or the mass amount of players using them, but these vipers just catch my eye.

The two I have been looking at are:

Viper 400.

and the Viper 200FM

Both come stock with EMG's but the 400 has slightly better ones. Im not keen on the red on the 200FM but thats all it comes with.

After all that rambling what I have to ask is, is the price difference between the two justified? there is about a 300 dollar increase to go up to the 400. Also, how well do these generally play?
Any tid-bits would really help me decide here, and since im asking, which color do you guys prefer on the 400

Sunburst ESP Viper-400 with EMG combo
Ibanez Talman Elec-Acoustic
1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
im buying a viper too, uhhhh, i know they play nicely, there versitile, so its good for any music really, and black finish would be best, but the pickup difference isnt that dramatic between the two, i know that cause ive tried both, im getting a special edition 300 with 26frets tho, so iunno, the one im buying has emgs too, but i dunno what exact kind, so i couldnt tell you between that, but good luck choosing lol. oh btw, dont pay more than 700 for any of these models, cause its just a rippoff, they arent that amazing, checkk out different brands, high end guitars arent always the best lol
Will

Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die, Aces High.
I see.
i want the 400, but your mainly paying for the pickups I guess, and i think the active ones are too much gain for me as my amp puts out enough for me.

1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
Well anything under 300 seems to be notorious for bad quality. I played an M-100, it wasn't that bad, but the fret job and electronics were... well terrible. The frets weren't filed properly and were sharp and it had scratchy pots, loose input jack etc. If you want to take the risk and buy the 200 be my guest but there's a reason the 400 is more expensive. Better overall quality, better woods, better electronics, in short if you're getting one I'd get the 400. They seem to be solid guitars from the ones I've played. And EMGs aren't like uber-gain, sure they probably have more gain and power than your average pickup but the tone is awesome, plus the pickups on the 200 aren't any good. I think they're the like "ESP" pickups, some $2 cheapo-china pickup they probably picked up somewhere and put the logo on it lol.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
Hmm
I see, im definatly starting to lean towards the 400 then. gunna cost a titload cause of shipping rates though...

goddamn being counted as an international customer

1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
Definately take the 400 over the 200. It's made of better wood, better pickups, etc. The only con of my Viper is that it's neck heavy, but what SG isn't?
400 it is!
haha im fairly stoked to try one of these out, from what i hear they play like butter but sound ****ing crunchy

1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
One more thing, At my ESP store (largest one in canada and is exclusive to my city ) the sunburst one only comes with duncans.
Now im really torn.

what do you guys suggest for my choice...
the white with the EMG 81/85's which will give me ONLY distortion tone (but bloody good at that)
or the sunburst one with Seymour Duncan Custom 5 / Jazz Set

I play alot of blues, followed by metal (maiden, BLS, black sabbath, ozzy) then some stuff like scorpions. I have another guitar that has great blues tones but switching back and forth everytime i wanna play cleans might suck hard..

pahaha i know im asking alot of you guys but id like to know what youd think would be best!

1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
First, the 400 is the way to go. The 200 is made of agathis, which, as you may know, is crap. The 400 is mahogany and has much better pickups.

Now, for the pickup choice, I have heard that EMGs can have good cleans. I'm not sure *how* good because I haven't tried them myself, but from what I've heard from people who use them on this board, they can have good cleans.

I would suggest trying both the Sunburst and the White one out first, and seeing which suits your playing style more.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by jpharaoh69
http://www.espguitars.com/images/guitars/EC-400_OW.jpg

i know its not a viper but it looks sooooooooooo sick. same price too

I used to really want one of those, but the shape for some reason just grew off me. I think id look like a real douchebag playing one of those haha
just doesnt fit me i guess..
however, still ****in dope

1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
EMGs have great cleans. You just can't put an 81 in the neck expecting like "uber-tehkvltcleanage". (Acutally even an 81 in the neck isn't bad it just lacks robustness). Although If you're not playing anything really heavy, then go with the duncans. Although EMGs can really do anything, you just have to know how to EQ your amp and not play through a $100 practice amp and expect uber-kvltedness.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
Quote by JimiMan1535
EMGs have great cleans. You just can't put an 81 in the neck expecting like "uber-tehkvltcleanage". (Acutally even an 81 in the neck isn't bad it just lacks robustness). Although If you're not playing anything really heavy, then go with the duncans. Although EMGs can really do anything, you just have to know how to EQ your amp and not play through a $100 practice amp and expect uber-kvltedness.

I guess ill have to head across town sometime next week and give them a try.
and trust me, my amp aint no $100 POS

1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
I know I'm just saying alot of ... new.... people expect that changing their pickups will give them like uber tone, despite the fact that they have a **** amp. Like "will putting EMGs in my ___ give me a good metallica tone?" Well son go get yourself a Dual Rec or Mark IIC+ and you'll have the tone lol.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
^I can top that one.

"Get one of those awesome $99 Epi LP juniors liek billy joe uses and put a EMG in it and it will be a great guitar."

Yeah. Someone actually suggest that one time.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99
^I can top that one.

"Get one of those awesome $99 Epi LP juniors liek billy joe uses and put a EMG in it and it will be a great guitar."

Yeah. Someone actually suggest that one time.

yours def wins

1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
Quote by azn_guitarist25
just please for the sake of it tell me were it says ESP on the guitar

1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
Last edited by JanickClone at Jul 1, 2006,
ESP guitars are way expensive to the guy eho asked where it said esp, LTD is what most people buy, I'll be getting one of these when I've bought a good amp and a wah and distortian pedal
The EMGs in the Viper are 81/85 if I'm not mistaken.. I played this combo in a Washburn X50pro a few weeks ago.. Personally, I think the 60 is much better at cleans than the 85.. The 85 manages at relatively low volumes, but once you get high volume clean tone it starts to break up quite quick... Im not saying the 85 doesnt do cleans! Just saying that its not the BEST choice when considering EMGs..

On the other hand, the SDs should fit you quite well I think.. since the 59 does cleans nicely! Im not sure about the custom 5.. but you can always swap that with a SD JB or the like and sell it on eBay or something, if it ends up not being good enough at distortion.. But for the bands you listed (maiden, black sabbath, ozzy, etc.), you should do fine with the passives..

And yea, as said.. dont get the viper 200 thingie..

hope I was of any help,
Quote by JanickClone

pwnt
Ibanez RG1570
Epiphone Black Beauty
Line 6 Spider II 112
BOSS CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Quote by svanzon
The EMGs in the Viper are 81/85 if I'm not mistaken.. I played this combo in a Washburn X50pro a few weeks ago.. Personally, I think the 60 is much better at cleans than the 85.. The 85 manages at relatively low volumes, but once you get high volume clean tone it starts to break up quite quick... Im not saying the 85 doesnt do cleans! Just saying that its not the BEST choice when considering EMGs..

On the other hand, the SDs should fit you quite well I think.. since the 59 does cleans nicely! Im not sure about the custom 5.. but you can always swap that with a SD JB or the like and sell it on eBay or something, if it ends up not being good enough at distortion.. But for the bands you listed (maiden, black sabbath, ozzy, etc.), you should do fine with the passives..

And yea, as said.. dont get the viper 200 thingie..

hope I was of any help,

very much so, thank you. still havent made it over to the store to try one of em out yet, im still fair game for either still but the SD's are starting to appeal much more to me now.

Swapping the custom 5 out of the bridge sounds like a good idea, and i might be able to pull bargain at the store to trade em for free.

1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
Quote by azn_guitarist25
true now tell me where it says esp standard series or esp custom series
People are always gonna call LTD's ESP. You just gotta live with it.
These go to eleven...
yeh and people are always going to call epiphones gibson and squiers fenders but if i can change atleast one person to say the names properly then im happy.
Hell ESP Viper 400s are awesome and cool. Wish I could buy one of those :/ I'm buying an ESP Viper-10 (-.-) because that's what I can afford (I'm also a beginner btw so...)
I AM IMAGINING THE FUTURE WARS... GUITAR WARS, EVERYONE HAS B.C RICH WARLOCKS THAT FIRE BULLETS AS FAST AS HELL.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
yeh and people are always going to call epiphones gibson and squiers fenders but if i can change atleast one person to say the names properly then im happy.

I hate people saying "I've got an ESP now!" then seeing it's an LTD. Not that I have anything against LTD owning one and all, but it's not a proper ESP
Quote by St-Anger
im buying a viper too, uhhhh, i know they play nicely, there versitile, so its good for any music really, and black finish would be best, but the pickup difference isnt that dramatic between the two, i know that cause ive tried both, im getting a special edition 300 with 26frets tho, so iunno, the one im buying has emgs too, but i dunno what exact kind, so i couldnt tell you between that, but good luck choosing lol. oh btw, dont pay more than 700 for any of these models, cause its just a rippoff, they arent that amazing, checkk out different brands, high end guitars arent always the best lol

Dear Lord.....so much fail in one post. And to the TS, get the 400, it's worth it.
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS ONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS NONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AT ALL
FOR I AM CONTINUAL