Well my LTD AX-50 has EMG 85(B) EMG 89(N).What do you say about this???
Last edited by muzonat at Jun 30, 2006,
EMG 89 has a single coil in it and it sounds really clear man.You can use it for both single and humbucker.
****, i would never do that, the would is terrible, and the other fact is that the ax-50 is the lowest guitar on the ltd spectrum, making it not too good. You should've saved up for a better guitar, or maybe an amp. Your call i suppose
Hmm, thats strange... coz it comes with ltd pickups since its the lowest in the range http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_ax.html... Unless you put them in yourself of course? But then you shouldve gone for the AX-400..

EDIT: Plus that would be putting EMGs in agathis.. not to great now is that.. I feel sorry for your EMGs..
Im guessing that this will sound ultra basy if you deicded to put an 85 at the neck

:S

xchrisx
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
Quote by thetoastinator
I would have put an 81 in the bridge because the 89 is basically a 85 with a coil split option.

85 in the bridge with a 89 in the neck in an agathis body wood = still **** nothing good
Nothing will sound good on wood you use to make tables.Agathis are only for firewood
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
not true, emg's are active pickups hence their sound is hardly affected by wood type, a good wood will add some natural tone and on low quality wood it wont sound as good but it doesnt make that much of a difference.
To compensate for that you can get better strings or replace the plastic nut with a bone nut to get more sustain and tension.
Quote by munky2089
not true, emg's are active pickups hence their sound is hardly affected by wood type, a good wood will add some natural tone and on low quality wood it wont sound as good but it doesnt make that much of a difference.
To compensate for that you can get better strings or replace the plastic nut with a bone nut to get more sustain and tension.

+2

got both things right dude.

Also, all you "hey the 81 is good for bridge", I dont think youve tried an 85 in the bridge with the 18 volt mod, or the 85X? damn, I feel sorry. Well not rly, but srsly you should take a look at that option. It kicks ass.
Quote by munky2089
emg's are active pickups hence their sound is hardly affected by wood type.

Don't agree with that completely, nevertheless TS is a dong
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
Why in the world do you people bump these FOUR YEAR OLD THREADS?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by munky2089
not true, emg's are active pickups hence their sound is hardly affected by wood type.

That is wrong. Don't smother your signal with distortion and you'll hear the differences as with any other pickup.

To the threadstarter: What is it that you want from us?
Ancient thread is ancient.
GEAR:
Ibanez Xiphos XPT750
ESP Ltd Viper 400
Egnater Rebel 30 112
Boss GE-7
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss DD-7