hey, im playing red hot chili peppers, and i want to write music like theirs, like in that style, and i was wondering what skills would be good to have under my belt like what kinds of things should i know how to be able to do to be succesful in writing good music in that style?
be really good with bends and sliding and fingerpicking if you want to play some songs like that with one guitar.
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP
I LOVE, I LOVE, I LOVE... KILLER WHALES! AND I LOVE MANGOS! AND IGGY POP TOO! I LOVE IGGY POP! AND EVEN GETTING UP EARLY IN THE MORNING, AND SWIMMING! AND TAKING A GOOOOOD SH*T! AND I LOVE ALL OF YOU TOO!

Now how to do their strumming patterns. Such as the muting and the start/stop methods. Double stops, and different chord formations. Look at the tab for Dani California and it should show you a really good idea of their style. Just remember, if you don't move to the music while you're playing, it's not RHCP.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
what about like chord progressions like what key is that style usually in, cuz their stuff is like on the same basis, so it all sounds like one style, but at the same time different
practicing 5 hours a day and knowing that playing guitar is what you want to do with your life so you can get really good helps too.
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP
I LOVE, I LOVE, I LOVE... KILLER WHALES! AND I LOVE MANGOS! AND IGGY POP TOO! I LOVE IGGY POP! AND EVEN GETTING UP EARLY IN THE MORNING, AND SWIMMING! AND TAKING A GOOOOOD SH*T! AND I LOVE ALL OF YOU TOO!

I really don't think they play in the same key all the time. I've got their live album, and I jam over it, and usually every song is in a different key. I'm pretty sure they use a minor penatonic scale though. As for chord progressions, you got me on that one.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
I think the key changes multiple times during songs on occasions.
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP

Most of their songs stay in the same key throughout.

The scales played in the key might change.

Look at a tab. There are no all - encompassing statements to be made about any band.
Knowing barre chords and different formations and the theory behind them.
John uses a LOT of barre chords, and bieng able do get the shapes quickly will be helpful.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
being able to play thumb over the neck barre chords is really useful, because frusciante uses that technique. this allows him to have more reach/free fingers to do some hammer ons and pullofs on the high strings while still playing the chords. a lot of the guitar riffs are very chord shape oriented. so if you work on knowing chords, how they are formed, and good ways to use extensions, then you should be able to create some chili peppers exque riffs.