Ok, I'm gonna lay it out straight... If you do not know what you are talking about, or are unsure with yourself on this topic in any way, please do not reply to this post. I would like to have an advice thread where there isnt a thousand "I think it goes like this.." or "My friend did this once and it helped.."; Thanks but no thanks.

To anyone who has experience in this matter, and knows EXACTLY how it should be done, please post. By asking this, I hope to provide a sufficient, and accurate source of advice on this matter to any people in the future who search for it.

Here's my question: I have an Ibanez S470 with an original/standard Floyd Rose tremelo. I am planning on cleaning it with some lemon oil and changing the strings as well. Now, my main concern is the neck/guitar itself.. Should I take all of the strings off at once and clean the guitar? Or take one string at a time? Any actions I should take to prevent damage to the guitar?

I have spent about an hour in the search bar and have found threads similar to this one, but they all include people who argue about different ways to do it, and I simply do not trust them because of the uncertainty.

Thanks - Carny
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
The way I have changed my strings recently is to take them all off, quickly apply lemon oil to the fretboard, clean the paces between the pickups (mine seems to get a load of crud, like plastic shavings from the remenants of plectrums and dead skin) and then put the new strings on.

I do this as fast as I can, without rushing (More haste, less speed).

I don't know if thats the correct way, but I'll be damned if I can find a differnt way to apply lemon oil, without getting it on the strings, and have a more through clean.
Quote by Spynal

Man, if only we could have a thread dedicated to recommendations, that would be sweet. Maybe, we could call it ... The Hugfest .... no, that's no good? Metal-O-Rama? Nah.... oh wait.

I've got it...
The Official Metal Recommendation Thread
Errm, cleaning mechanical parts with lemon oil

as far as cleaning the bridge goes I just take the entire thing apart (right down to the saddles), just wipe the thing down and spend 45 minutes putting the thing back together an reintonating :S
I am obviously reffering to the neck/wood with the lemon oil.
Quote by Overlord
Well the the post 2003 S470s have the ZR, which has a springloaded backstop device that usually keeps the thing relatively level, even with no string pressure. In which case you can take all the strings off and it shouldn't move much.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
So, if the strings are all off, I should be ok.. otherwise I'll just have to re-adjust/intonate.. but the neck won't like warp or anything huh?
Quote by Overlord
Quote by Carnivean
So, if the strings are all off, I should be ok.. otherwise I'll just have to re-adjust/intonate.. but the neck won't like warp or anything huh?

Not unless you plan to leave it without strings for an extended period of time, even overnight would be okay.