Page 1 of 2
I am currently using a Mesa/Boogie Rect-o-Verb 50watt combo amplifier. About a month ago after a show it started making a strange cracking noise at high volumes so I took it into the shop and paid $80 to have it repaired, although I still don't know what the problem was. A couple of days ago it started making the same cracking noise again so I took it in another time today. I think it's possible that I'm just pushing the amp too hard. It has one 12" speaker and it's only 50 watts but I have to cut through my drummer, etc. Now I'm trying to decide between a Krankenstein 100 watt Head with a Krankenstein cab ($2400-$2700) and a Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier 100 watt Head with some cab. I've heard alot of great things about Krank cabs and they're $1000. I'm going to try out the Krankenstein head when I go to pick up my combo. If I were to get the Dual Rectifier/Krank Cab it would also be about $2800. I play in a hardcore band and have my gain at about 9.5 so please give me your opinions.
I prefer the Mesa by far. They have a nicer, fuller, and more flexible tone. Krank's have really sterile, lifeless cleans, and are way too dark sounding when put on the distortion. They also get really mushy sounding and are very brutal sounding amps, but they're not much good for anything outside of those kinds of tones.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
yeah i wouldn't go for either. there are more original sounding amps around, like the B-52 tri mode rectifier or ampeg or whatever. unless you want to sound like every other guitarist in the world, i would find something else.

hmm, i guess you aren't asking for my opinion, so i give up.
Kranks are what many, many metal players use... But you're in hardcore band, so stay away from the Krankenstein. The Mesa/Boogies are quite good, but you can use other stuff that sounds just about as good.
If you're playing hardcore, I'd recommend the 5150, seems a lot of hardcore bands like the sound of them, with good reason. Unearth, Atreyu, God Forbid etc all use them. I find Rectos to be too dark for hardcore, although I'm sure bands still use them. It's really what you're looking for, nobody can tell you what to get.

And P.S. if you're looking at Kranks I'd look at the Rev. 1 instead of the Krankenstein, I've heard very bad things about the Krankenstein.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
lol read the last couple of words. I do want your opinions. Idk.. I mean I have heard ALOT of bad stuff about Kranks but the guy where I took my amp to be repaired like swore by his Krankenstein and said that he chose it over a Mesa Dual Rectifier. I really do LOVE my rect-o-verb tone but I jsut need some more volume without blowing it. Does anyone know about the Krank cabs because I've heard they're amazing. It think it's between Krank, Mesa/Boogie, and Marshall cabs. My other guitarist is buying a Peavey 6505+/Marshall cab as we speak... quite an upgrade from MY 75 watt Line6 SpiderII combo.
Well if you like the tone, then just get a Dual Rec.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
Quote by Anty 7
Mesa, please don't get a Krank

Have you ever played one?
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
NEVER EVER GET A KRANK! Most of the bands that "Endorse them" use mesas, Peavey, or marshall.

EDIT: Aww crap I may have started a flame war, ****!
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
yeah I probably shouldn't let one person change my mind. I mean I'm still pretty sure I'm gonna go with the dual recto but what about the cab? Marshall, Mesa, or Krank?
Well I'm sorry that you started a flame war, but blind ignorance seems to do that sometimes. Again have you ever played one? Nobody hear seems to have touched one, but still bashes them. I don't think it's fair. And give me an example of someone who uses dummy Kranks? Do you have any proof? Yea I'm sure you've been onstage and seen the rig they have running backstage that they have to hide because they were on ozzfest 2005 and mistakenly endorsed Kranks.... wtf...

EDIT: Cabs well usually Mesa cabs go well with Mesas. A dual Recto through an oversized is a bit too woofy, I'd recommend the standard Mesa. Marshalls are alright, but usally a bit pricy (but then again so are all 3), check ebay. I've never played through a Krank cab, so I can't tell you.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
Last edited by JimiMan1535 at Jun 30, 2006,
Umm what is considered an 'over sized' cab. I've heard the term but I'm not sure.
Oversized cabs (generally Mesa) are about 3" taller than your standard Marshall size cab. They usually have more low end because of the increased amount of air space.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
Umm yeah well I can't find any Mesa cabs on Ebay. My local dealer has Marshall and Mesa and they're both about $899. Oh yeah, did I mention I'm a jobless 15 year old? Point is I'm TRYING to keep the price as low as possible but I want this to be a kind of final purchase amp wise, if that's even posssible. The Krank cabs are $999 and I can find Marshall cabs on Ebay or even cheap on MusiciansFriend (no Mesa though). How would a Dual Rectifier/Marshall cab be? This is just my ignorant logic but wouldn't that give me the incredible high gain tone of the Recto that can DRIVE the Marshall cab? I mean I just wish I could get the sound of my low volume Mesa at well.. higher volumes. It may sound weird that it sounds not so good at high volumes, being an all tube amp but I think it may have something to do with driving that ONE 12" speaker. Your thoughts please.
^ does your current amp have a speaker out? If so...just get a cab and it will easily over power a drummer.
yeah it does. but that doesn't bypass the combo speaker. basically I'm just concerned because it's blown twice. I mean I mic my amp so I only put the Master and Output Volumes to like 6-7.
I've played the krankenstein, the cleans are slightly better than solid states, decent, could be a lot better. But then again no clean on any valve amp is as good as a fender twin. The distortion channel is alright, slightly muddy but livable. Nothing great, its a decent amp, but waaaaaaaaay over-priced. Go with the Mesa, but if you have the money, go for a bogner uberschall.
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
Quote by namman05
Go with the Mesa, but if you have the money, go for a bogner uberschall.

PERFECT for a job-less 15 year old.

Well my thought is that if you love your amp now...get the Mesa. It will have the same overall sound.
Isn't 50 watts of valve heaps of power? I mean I only need 30 watts of valve (CLASS A ROCKS) and I play in a metal band. And the cracking noise occurs when distorted or clean?
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
lol actually i'm the only job-less 15 year old that I know of that has the money for even the mesa. But umm yeah I've now pretty much decided on the Dual Rectifier but I'll still try the Krank. I don't really need cleans.. at all. What I'm trying to figure out now is just which cab. Once again, it's between Krank Marshall and Mesa. But does anyone understand what I'm talking about being able to drive a Marshall cab?

Edit: ^ yeah I guess it's quite a bit but I'm just thinkng of the future. 100 watts seems to be the standard. To be honest I really don't know if the cracking happened with on the clean too but I think so. I should atleast know what the problem is when I pick it up, unlike last time.
Last edited by PerryS. at Jun 30, 2006,
Quote by namman05
Isn't 50 watts of valve heaps of power? I mean I only need 30 watts of valve (CLASS A ROCKS) and I play in a metal band. And the cracking noise occurs when distorted or clean?

wait...what? I didnt get that lol can you rephrase er something.

50watts isnt that much when youre talking about half/full stacks.
Quote by PerryS.
But does anyone understand what I'm talking about being able to drive a Marshall cab?

nope.
ok.. you know how Marshalls are supposed to sound so great when at very high volumes? well I just want my mesa to sound great at high volumes. keep in mind I've never tried it thru a cab but if I were to get a 4x12 cab I would think I'd need to go with a 100 watt head.
Quote by PerryS.
ok.. you know how Marshalls are supposed to sound so great when at very high volumes? well I just want my mesa to sound great at high volumes. keep in mind I've never tried it thru a cab but if I were to get a 4x12 cab I would think I'd need to go with a 100 watt head.

50watts with a 4x12 cab is perfect. Just enough clean headroom and just big enough to push hard.

[edit] i think youre a little mixed up on "headroom" and 'tube wattage' and stuff.
more like.. i just have no idea. but didn't you just tell that other guy that 50 watts wasn't very much when talking about half/full stacks. lol don't tell me i'm wrong about a head and 4x12 cab being a half stack...
Quote by PerryS.
more like.. i just have no idea. but didn't you just tell that other guy that 50 watts wasn't very much when talking about half/full stacks. lol don't tell me i'm wrong about a head and 4x12 cab being a half stack...

lol well generally when you have a cab or two the amp head is 100watts...thats most common. Youre saying you want that "Marshall at high volume" sound...so having a head thats 30-50watts is best for that because you can push the tubes easily. Having 50watts tube in a 1x12 combo is insane...thats like having a 200watt tube head on top of a 4x12 cab.

So 50watts isnt a lot when youre talking in terms of half/full stacks when you consider the most common heads out there are 100-120-150watts.

Hard to explain lol...
yeah well when I say 'marshall sound'... how can I explain this? basically what I'm saying is that I DON'T want the sound I'm getting now from pushing 50 watts of tube power through one 12" speaker at high volumes. and when you say 'easily push the tubes'.. woah that kinda scares me because if that's what I'm doing now than count me out. I've never ever tried a cab before so I think what I'm looking for is just being able to play at high volumes without my speakers sounding like they're straining. I really don't know how else to explain it. would a 100 watt head going through a 4x12 cab be able to put out some volume without sounding like it's dying?
Quote by PerryS.
yeah well when I say 'marshall sound'... how can I explain this? basically what I'm saying is that I DON'T want the sound I'm getting now from pushing 50 watts of tube power through one 12" speaker at high volumes. and when you say 'easily push the tubes'.. woah that kinda scares me because if that's what I'm doing now than count me out. I've never ever tried a cab before so I think what I'm looking for is just being able to play at high volumes without my speakers sounding like they're straining. I really don't know how else to explain it. would a 100 watt head going through a 4x12 cab be able to put out some volume without sounding like it's dying?

Tube amps are only tube amps when the tubes are pushed. lol

I think you should research amps/cabs a bit more. And maybe save yourself about 2500 bucks and stick with your amp now. maybe just change the speaker with a higher handling?
ehh maybe. idk... i know tube amps are meant to be pushed or whatever but hey.. it may just be me but i'm not too into the sound my poor speaker makes sometimes. basically I don't think i can go wrong with a mesa dual recto. i'll just have to try out different cabs. thanks everyone for your help, i'll be getting off for a while now but if anyone has any more advice please post and i'll check later.
ok, let me get this straight

you have a blown speaker
50 watt mesa combo

you want, a half stack?

a few things, what speaker is in the combo? odds are you could just replace that with a v30 (new versions are 60watt handling)

OR, if you still dont feel comfortable pushing one speaker, i recomend you invest in a good 2x12 cab. a lot cheaper than a 4x12 adn essentially the same sound. and to bypass the amps speaker, unplug the speaker cable from the amp, and run one from the speaker out to the cab.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
dude, just buy a cab 4x12 or 2x12 and use your combo for the head....it sounds like your problem right now is that your speaker can't handle the volume, so doesn't it seem logical to either get a nicer one with a higher rating or even get more speakers to do the same amount of work. plus if you had 4 speakers vs. your 1, your overall tone would sound a lot more loud. just get a f*cking cab.
OK it seems like your problem is youve got a blown speaker. The reason your speaker cant handle the wattage. Even a 60 watt vintage 30 at 50 watts tube turned up real high may not be able to handle it for an extended period of time its life will drastically be shortened.
Its not made to handle so much by itself.

Now i suggest getting a Mesa Dual Rectifier Head off Ebay. And pairing it with a marshall Cab. Since your playing hardcore i suggest a Marshall 1960b as they have Celestion G12T75s and have great tone. The cab can handle 300watts of power and will have no problem with the 100watt dual rec.

SO my opinion

Mesa Dual Rec + Marshall 1960b cab. If you get it off ebay im gonna say 1700 USD about average if you buy it new its gonna run your more like 2500 USD
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
dont be a dick, all you need to do is go buy a cab. i suggest grabbing a 2x12 off of ebay. a mesa recitifier 2x12 would you serve you heavenly well. i used one for ages and i know a bunch of kids in a band where the one guy only used a 2x12 and other a 4x12...they do fine. i would reccomend replacing the speaker in the amp as well, becuase you prolly did blow the speaker, oh yeah, kick your amp techs ass too assuming he didnt figure that out himself.

and to be honest, theyre much nicer to move around.

on a side note, you guys have some serious ****ing volume issues if you DID blow your speaker, take it a bit easier from here out.

good luck
How bout used Bogner cabs......... I heard they were great ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
bogner cabs > your soul

get a mesa with a mesa cab. its a simple equation really...
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
What do ya know about m'soul, brotha ??

At least bogner cabs > my soul > Marshall MG > your soul..... hahaha

Don't take it seriously........ you might end up with an MG..........
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Page 1 of 2