Page 1 of 2
What are some shred-oriented guitars that are NOT Ibanez RG's, JEM's or anything with the same body shape?

I'm just curious. Everyone always recommends the Ibanez RG's or JEM's for shred, but rarely anything else. Aren't there any NON RG or JEM guitars that are well suited for shredding?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I prefer Jackson/ESP for a heavier shred tone.
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

Musicman by ernieball, John Pettrucci and Steve Morse use them
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
charvel EVH....
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Fender Yngwie Strat?
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
Quote by ProjectDark
Musicman by ernieball, John Pettrucci and Steve Morse use them
;x
FS/T: Ibanez RG570, IBZ/DiMarzio V8 Pup

Member #6 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
Quote by ias05
schecters

schecters are horrible, and the body shapes are just horrific.

Prs are awesome shred guitars, and so are peaveys.
I`m a fan of Jacksons. I got an old charvel model and I`m in love with it. Dont try to think that you have to have a certain guitar to shred on though. it doesnt matter what kinda guitar you have. shreddin is shreddin man...lol.
Jackson RR1/3/5's for me shred just the same as an ibanez..
there are probably a few strat styles from jackson that cover that as well...

strangest part is one of my old teles (stop bar + dual humbucker) has been the best shred guitar ive ever owned

Sunburst ESP Viper-400 with EMG combo
Ibanez Talman Elec-Acoustic
1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
like a7xfretshredder said you don't need a certain guitar. i think something with a set neck or neck through would be best and something that you can get all the frets on like a v
When it's cold, and when it's dark..The freezing moon will obsess you.
The Musican John Petrucci signature models is great

Also the ESP M-II wil give you that chunkier metal sound due to the EMGs. If you want to hear the tone of EMGs listen to some Metallica.

If you've heard the song enter sandman just think that.
get a new amp before you even think of getting a new guitar.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Ummm, well Jacksons SUCK for anything, unless its a SOLOIST IMO.

Amything without a AANJ Neck Joint isnt to great for high fret shredding.

I guess some high end ESP's would do the trick as well.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
with some skill, you can shred on a les paul. brand names won't make you shred better. they'll just help you with thinner necks, easier fret access
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
schecter, gibson, esp, jackson, the guitar that petrucci uses it slips my mind at the momment. but still what it comes down to is your skill level, if your good you could shred a well set up squire and still sound good. Good example is malmsteen tearing up his fender on a 15 watt marshall amp backstage on the G3 dvd. But the guitars listed have a darker tone i guess you could say, not so much gibson tho.
The Dean Dimebag from Hell or whatever ML model it is that has Dimebag all over it is great for shredding. The neck is pretty thin, and the feel is amazing... ito me tt feels like like a cross between an Ibanez and an ESP, taking good aspects from both. To bad it's an image guitar and I don't really favor the body style.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Tell that to Vigier and Suhr fanboys like Guthrie Govan.

I think Carvin makes great shred guitars. But really, a guitar should not be defined as useful for shred as some guitars only help make it easier or harder.

Charvel, Jackson, ESP are some obvious ones that have been pointed out already.
Bleh.

Member #3 of the I Am Canadian Club, pm colen or Mantiscabinet to join
Member #3 of the Necrophagist worshippers pm night_lights to join
Member #2 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
Quote by ClassicAxe

Says you. Say that to Satch...none of the JS line have AANJ's I've played/own, and trust me...they can shred. But AANJ is much prefered, obviously.

I love Fender necks. My only complaint about Fenders is the whole lack of decent hardware! I mean sure, if you like SC's and vintage tremelos, then go for it, but if you want a Floyd Rose and DiMarzios...

Grr. They need to have more FR H-H Fenders.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
has anyone noticed that he uses an MG, and here you dudes are, telling him to get X guitar.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Quote by Neon Knight
has anyone noticed that he uses an MG, and here you dudes are, telling him to get X guitar.

nice to see you can read his sig
Quote by Xenn99
What are some shred-oriented guitars that are NOT Ibanez RG's, JEM's or anything with the same body shape?

I'm just curious. Everyone always recommends the Ibanez RG's or JEM's for shred, but rarely anything else. Aren't there any NON RG or JEM guitars that are well suited for shredding?

but never in his post did he ask what guitar to buy so we didnt need to ask what amp he had
jackson!
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Suhr, Alembic, Warr, Conklin, Warmoth can make you a wizard neck, with a tele body but a floyd and dual hummers :P
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
Anything. Guitars don't make you play fast. I can shred on my LP, I know tons of poeple with JEMs who can't play more than 8 notes per second. I really don't think it even helps, it's just those stupid 2 extra frets, ad maybe a slimmer neck.
Dickless.
Quote by ChurchNSkate
Says you. Say that to Satch...none of the JS line have AANJ's I've played/own, and trust me...they can shred. But AANJ is much prefered, obviously.

I love Fender necks. My only complaint about Fenders is the whole lack of decent hardware! I mean sure, if you like SC's and vintage tremelos, then go for it, but if you want a Floyd Rose and DiMarzios...

Grr. They need to have more FR H-H Fenders.

Yeh that AANJ was an opinion, i couldve sworn i put IMO but i guess not. A lot of NON aanj guitars are great, but ive got a jackson with a neckplate, and upperfret shredding sucks, and some of the others ones ive played do as well.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
It is a good thing yoiu dont likee rgs because if you plugged one of those into your MG it would be sin aginst ibanez lol
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
.......Are you dumbasses illiterate? Can you not read? I never said I was looking to BUY a shred guitar. Not once. I was just curious if there were other "shred" guitars out there besides the ever-popular Ibanez RG's and JEM's.

Also, have either of you two MG haters ever actually used one thoroughly? Or do you just think "OH MGS SUCK CUZ PPLZ ON UG SAY SO"? If you've owned one or tried one out and didn't like it, fine. But if you haven't even tried one before, you need to shut the f*ck up because you have no experience with them.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by MetalMilitia212
Anything. Guitars don't make you play fast. I can shred on my LP, I know tons of poeple with JEMs who can't play more than 8 notes per second. I really don't think it even helps, it's just those stupid 2 extra frets, ad maybe a slimmer neck.

Hey now, those extra frets come in handy. I can shred on an LP too, it's just not fun. And I'm a Jem owner that can do over 16nps cleanly

Well, besides the RG/JEMS (both great guitars), there are other guitars in the Ibanez range, the S Series, the JS Series or the (now discontinued) R series are all fantastic. Other brands would include Suhr, Caparison, Vigier, Jackson, LGM, Conklin, Anderson and plenty of others.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
People talking about a new amp need to shut the hell up and learn to read.
as for the people talking about "how you can shred on a LP" you guys need to get out a little more.

This guy obviously isent a n00b and knows the generic answer of "put your mind to it and you can do anything" therefore making your statements null. He didnt ask what guitars shred was possible on, but what are shred oriented guitars.
Ibanez RG's and JEM's are mainly based around shredding, whereas a Les Paul is more the image for classic rock.

he is merely asking what are other shred based guitars other than an Ibanez style body, and this thread has somehow been made into a "OMGz LAwL MG'z r teh suxbad" thread

1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
Quote by Punk_Ninja
if you want one that shredders use then go for what people have said but you can learn to shred with any guitar

1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
jackson rhoads.
Gear:::

Schecter C1 Classic - drop C - .11's
Ibanez rg321 (emg 81/85) - drop D - .10's
----------------------
Peavey 6505+
Peavey XXX 412 cab
Crate VTX212b Combo - practice amp.
----------------------
ibanez TS9

Quote by Prophet of Page
Hey now, those extra frets come in handy. I can shred on an LP too, it's just not fun. And I'm a Jem owner that can do over 16nps cleanly

Well, besides the RG/JEMS (both great guitars), there are other guitars in the Ibanez range, the S Series, the JS Series or the (now discontinued) R series are all fantastic. Other brands would include Suhr, Caparison, Vigier, Jackson, LGM, Conklin, Anderson and plenty of others.

I haven't seen a song yet that has a use for those extra frets. And I wasn't saying all JEM owners suck, I'm jsut saying a guitar doesn't make you a better player.
Dickless.
Parker guitars are great for shred
"i disagree, I play on my own and if I had to play through my avt for another minute I'd probably poke a fork into the input, with the hope of both electrocuting myself and destroying the amp in one fell swoop."
-Dave_mc

Best video ever
Quote by ratso
schecters are horrible, and the body shapes are just horrific.

Prs are awesome shred guitars, and so are peaveys.

schecters arent horrible, and its got the same body shape as about 1000 other guitars. they arent for shredding, b/c of the neck.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
I play a Ibanez RGa-121 and love it....... Others guitars that i felt came close to it were the Kirk Hammet ESP's, Jackson Soloists, Jackson Kelly's, American Series Strats with the H-S-S setup, PRS i like as well but its overpriced, my friend has a Les Paul that he shreds with real well.......

Ill take my Ibanez though anyday............Best Neck Best Body Best Fretboard.......huge sustain, crunchy rythems, great harmonics, clear leads, crystal cleans,

Than again i play a xxx which is a huge boost......

But i like the Kirk Hammet Esp a lot so check those out
Lag and Vigier come to mind...

Also Jackson, ESP, etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2