I know Frusciante isnt the only one with this type of tone. But he uses a real clean tone, with a little bit of scratch (ie Under the bridge). I was wondering how i can get that type of scratch and clean. I have a over drive pedal, but when i set the drive real light so it almost sounds clean, i still cant get that scratchy sound when you are muting all the strings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuBPE7pwKe0&search=frusciante

its not that big of a deal, but i like that sound alot.
Well it seems to me he just has a really nice single coil tone. That's how my strat sounds when just played clean.

Maybe you aren't getting that tone because your guitar has humbuckers. You can only get a glassy clean like that from a strat.
yea you need the single coil pickups
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
Quote by Ihearthetfield
Well it seems to me he just has a really nice single coil tone. That's how my strat sounds when just played clean.

Maybe you aren't getting that tone because your guitar has humbuckers. You can only get a glassy clean like that from a strat.

I have a strat with a s/s/h setup, but couldnt i get that same tone if i switched off the bucker and used the two single coils?
Quote by cray159
I have a strat with a s/s/h setup, but couldnt i get that same tone if i switched off the bucker and used the two single coils?
Well it seems like he's using the neck so try that. Or upgrade your pickups.

If your guitar is low end upgrading the pickups improves the tone ridiculously. I mean you put Dimarzios into an Epiphone and you will sing like a gibson baby.
Quote by Ihearthetfield

that may be true. I have gotten a nice frusciante-like tone (like on the guitar world cd rom) with the drive channel on my FM212R with my strat, drive on 3, volume on 2, treble on 6.5, mids on 7.1, bass on 3.8, and reverb on 3.5.

try that type of thing with the overdrive pedal, let me know how it works out.
My Gear:
Fender Standard Strat w/Tex-mex pups
Epi Les Paul Jr.
Epi MM-20 mandolin
Yamaha FG-110
Boss SD-1
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Digitech RP80
Fender FM212R
Epi Valve Junior

Check Me Out:
Me
Quote by AmericanIdiot91
that may be true. I have gotten a nice frusciante-like tone (like on the guitar world cd rom) with the drive channel on my FM212R with my strat, drive on 3, volume on 2, treble on 6.5, mids on 7.1, bass on 3.8, and reverb on 3.5.

try that type of thing with the overdrive pedal, let me know how it works out.

o yeah, ive been totally neglecting the reverb.
i have a fender amp as well and hopefully i will have similar results
Quote by cray159
o yeah, ive been totally neglecting the reverb.
i have a fender amp as well and hopefully i will have similar results

How can you own THAT AMP and NOT USE THE REVERB

somebody kill me please

IT HAS REVERB IN THE NAME lol jk with you man
its just the dynamics of his amp and the single coils in his guitar. use your neck single coil and he is softly hitting or picking the strings for the cleaner tones and when he picks harder it gets the amp to overdrive a little bit. tone like that is just as much in your fingers as it is the knobs on your amp.
well, the closest i've gotten to his tone is with an amp setting of:
Gain at 4
low at 10
mid at 7
high at 6
reverb at 4

neck pickup helps too.
but that's just me
to get the sort of glassy clean on my LP, i usually use my blues driver as a clean boost and have both pickups selected. or neck pickup with the tone rolled down a bit.... tone effects LP greatly IMO
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns