After reading a lot of what guitar should I buy and the "tutorial" threads, I've decided to make my own one...

I have played guitar for about three years now, electric for almost a year.
Now, I am playing with a mexican Strat with 3 single coils, I bought it used to a friend, it is a good guitar, and I am pretty happy with it, although I think its time to move on.... I have a 30W Line 6 Spider II, and I am thinking about buying a zoom 606 FX because its pretty cheap and I have already played with the 505s and they feel quite good for what I would use....

I play a wide variety of styles so I think I should get an HSH setup, and a whammy bar because I am into Vai and Satch. Other bands I enjoy listening to are Led Zeppelin, Velvet Revolver, Gilby Clarke, Iron Maiden, most of GNR, Paul Gilbert, Vinnie Moore, Yngwie's not so trashing songs, Liquid Tension Experiment, Santana, Eric Johnson, and other unknown guys such as Mago de Oz, Infinitus and Gandhi, wich I doubt you've heard.....

And I am in a $300-$600 range for the budget.... And I could get a used guitar...

So a couple of questions for the Pros:

1. Is the 606 worth getting for around a hundred bucks?
2. What Guitar should I get for what I want (Hard Rock with some progressive/80s Metal sound) in my budget?
3. Is it too soon for a new guitar?
4. Too much info? (lol)
Last edited by UniverseZero at Jul 1, 2006,
u can never give too much information on a subject like this. what i would do is save up and get a better amp too a rig like if u were to save about 1000 u could get something like an Agile Les Paul 3000 and a Traynor Blue, I personally would not get a multi effect pedal for any other purpose but playing with when ur just screwing around on ur guitar. I strongly encourage getting 1 good rig rather than 5 mediocre ones
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

1. never played it so cant help ya there
2. sounds like an ibanez rg (cant remember the exact model) would do the trick, but it has the hsh set up and plays nice. I think its the step above the rg370 model and its prolly 400-600 i believe. Would probably be near perfect for what youre looking for
3. no if not someone would ask what style u play.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
save about 1000 u could get something like an Agile Les Paul 3000 and a Traynor Blue

The Agile looks quite good as a guitar but the thing is that I wan't a whammy, and I won't be changing the amp.... I really like this line 6.....

I have seen the rg370 before and I also thought it was a good choice......

anyone else?
the 370 is a great guitar.. however its made so that you have an amazing guitar for super cheap for about a year, then itll **** out on you. its really preference, since i like buying new guitars every year i gave one a try.
its built to be great for a short period of time rather than ok for a long time.

however, it WOULD fulfill your needs and at $340CAD youd have lots left over for a decent amp. Its your call really, but Ibanez is definatly more metalish.

Its my only guitar ive ever had with a tremolo so thats all i can really help you out on

Sunburst ESP Viper-400 with EMG combo
Ibanez Talman Elec-Acoustic
1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
Quote by JanickClone
the 370 is a great guitar.. however its made so that you have an amazing guitar for super cheap for about a year, then itll **** out on you. its really preference, since i like buying new guitars every year i gave one a try.
its built to be great for a short period of time rather than ok for a long time.

however, it WOULD fulfill your needs and at $340CAD youd have lots left over for a decent amp. Its your call really, but Ibanez is definatly more metalish.

Its my only guitar ive ever had with a tremolo so thats all i can really help you out on

I completly disagree, I have a rg370dxqm, and it hasnt failed me once yet, im guessing you didnt take care of it properly or something, but mine has played great since the day I got it.
Quote by OrderedChaos
I completly disagree, I have a rg370dxqm, and it hasnt failed me once yet, im guessing you didnt take care of it properly or something, but mine has played great since the day I got it.

mine has lasted about a year and a half and will be done fairly soon.
and from word of other users im fairly lucky at that. The trem is a pretty shotty one and its edges will dull out after about a year of playing.
im merely warning the man he might want to take a step higher, because it seems the odds ARE against them lasting longer than a year.

besides, jackass, i take just as good care of my guitar as the next person. i dont lemon oil the fretboard every month or change the strings ever 3 weeks like your SUPPOSED TO, but its not like i let it fal on the ground and stand on the neck...

Sunburst ESP Viper-400 with EMG combo
Ibanez Talman Elec-Acoustic
1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
Quote by JanickClone
mine has lasted about a year and a half and will be done fairly soon.
and from word of other users im fairly lucky at that. The trem is a pretty shotty one and its edges will dull out after about a year of playing.
im merely warning the man he might want to take a step higher, because it seems the odds ARE against them lasting longer than a year.

besides, jackass, i take just as good care of my guitar as the next person. i dont lemon oil the fretboard every month or change the strings ever 3 weeks like your SUPPOSED TO, but its not like i let it fal on the ground and stand on the neck...

First no reason to call anyone jackass other then to show your own ignorance..... anyway. If you read my first post I recommened the higher model anyways. That being said I can dump my bar til the strings are sagging and scream it back no problems no loss of tune. If you do keep your guitar in good condition then maybe you got a crappy turn out of the model. Sorry to hear that if thats the case. But dont resort to highschool bs by calling people jackasses.
1. Screw the multi-effect.. get a decent guitar and tube amp first..

2. Seeing as you want a trem, and the bands you listed do no require much alternate tunings (maybe some VR songs in dropped D.. but oh well, you'll have to live with that ) I think an Ibanez RG1570 could be a great investment! HSH config for large versatility, GREAT trem (much better than the one on the lower models) and it'll last you a lifetime.. :P Although its a little out of your budget, I still highly recommend saving up and getting it..

3. It might be a little early yes, seeing as your amp is not the greatest in the world, lol.. So you might want to consider getting a new amp first!

4. Never too much info here bud..
new amp. new amp. new amp. nice tube combo. something with gain, and /or an OD pedal.

with the extra cash upgrade the bridge pickup (humbucker) on the MIM strat.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
@ azn_guitarist: Yeah, why not.... they seem pretty cool.

@ Svanson: My guitar is decent, its a mexican strat, its already a bit old but it still is quite nice, about the amp... well I can't get anything too big because I don't live in US and I almost can't get anything good at a fair price here, so I have to bring it with me on the plane or something....

@jj: So you say I should stay with my guitar and just change the pups? I also thought about that... but I would have to do it myself and I am afraid to **** it up :p

thats my 10 yr old MIM. rails on the bottom, stacked mini humbuckers middle and neck.

thats the pickguard off and flipped over. the two top pickups were the stock ones. the arrows point to the bottom new-installed Hotrails.

i put up the pics in case, maybe u thought u wanted to try soldering.

im not sure what amps u have access to. but if u want to list some of the choices, maybe there's one worth getting.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Changing the pups would be way cheaper and maybe even easier than going through the mess of buying a new guitar, but as I said I am afraid to **** it up
no problem. if u lived on my block id do it for u.

maybe u can get a shop to swap out the bridge pup for u.

it wont be that noticable without an amp upgrade anyway.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Is Costa Rica on your block? lol.....

There are only 2 shops near me, and I doubt they give those services, because they aren't guitar shops, they are "music shops" and they sell every kind of instruments....... I'll ask.
Get a new amp. Try to find something with gain equalizer. Ask for one in the shop. If u dont want want a big one, get a roland cube, its pretty small and cheap. not the best sound, but it works. Unfourtunately i dont know how long they last. Ive just played one in the shop.

btw, a new amp will have a greater influence on your sound than a guitar will. You might want one of those first, especially if u already have a mexican strat.
Member 15 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS club. PM Revelations to join.

Founder of the I love nickelodeon club. PM me to join.
jenny you got quite some messy wiring, i will clean it up for you as long as you send me the pickguard
haha, most of that was the "stock" mim wiring and my wonderful labelling.

those pickups are long gone my friend. ill use u next time.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

yay, actually cleaning up wiring isnt that hard just as long as you dont make anything to long
I found a roland cube 60, and I know its not a tube amp, but it seems good enough..... is $390 too much for it?
u mean cube 60's?

yeah, cubes (usually) last forever.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

ok cool, if ur getting to try it out, then make sure u blast it pretty loud, see what ur getting.

good luck
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62