Lately I've been considering another guitar sort of as a contrast to my other guitars (a les paul and a deluxe tele.) I'm not looking to change anything about them as I like them the way they are - but I would still like to have a heavier sound.

The feature that I'm focused on is a flatter neck with larger frets (I've played several jacksons and liked the feel - as well as ibanez's prestige necks.) I'd also prefer a guitar with a stoptail or string through bridge as opposed to a locking trem (I don't really have a use for one and they seem to be hell to restring or tune.) Pickups arent so much a problem as I would probably end up getting them replaced.

I've looked around and people seem to recommend ibanez, but I'm hardly a fan - the only ones I've played that I liked were the rediculously expensive ones (some of the s-series models with the prestige necks.) Another problem I've got with ibanez is that most of their more affordable guitars are basswood - I prefer the tone of mahogany or alder. On a smaller note I tend to dislike their designs (especially the thinner bodies) and I'm beginning to favor the flying v style bodies

I've looked around and I can't find neck specs for a lot of companies (schecter, esp, dean) and I live in the middle of nowhere in florida so its hardly easy to walk in a guitar store and try them out (the local stores have terrible prices and selection and the next nearest stores are an hour away and have diminished selection.)

I'm not sure about price range but definitely nothing over $900 - its more research than anything else. I just wanted some UGer's advice, opinions, experience, etc.
Quote by Spynal
If irony were peanut butter, you would be sticking to the roof of the mouth of life.

Quote by webbtje
Yeah, it was clearly necessary to stab him 23 times, just to be sure.

http://www.last.fm/user/fjm2c
Ibanez used to make a flying V style gutar back in the 80's. I have an article about them in a guitar world some where around here. they dont make them anymore but of course you can find them used. and you can always buy a prestiege neck and put it on a v.

in that article it has a website with specs and all. if you want it pm me and ill look for it
Quote by Man_In_The_Box
learn some green day. they are totally brutal.

Another problem I've got with ibanez is that most of their more affordable guitars are basswood - I prefer the tone of mahogany or alder. QUOTE]

that's the magic of electric. you can make it sound how you want with the right amp
I have a decent amp already - a mesa dual rectifier half stack
Quote by Spynal
If irony were peanut butter, you would be sticking to the roof of the mouth of life.

Quote by webbtje

The RGT42DXFM

Neck-thru
Mahogany
Crap trem...(not as bad as the edge III, not as good as the Edge Pro)
Ibanez Prestige RG1570 ftw!
Quote by FJM2C
I have a decent amp already - a mesa dual rectifier half stack

a decent amp? a bit of an understatement huh?
Quote by Man_In_The_Box
Quote by AngelGC
a decent amp? a bit of an understatement huh?

yeah. its one of the best. i'd be bragging if i were him
haha i know its good i suppose im just searching for the right tone with it
Quote by Spynal

Quote by webbtje

Ibanez RGA121 was in a shop going for $909. I loved it, either that or a Gibson Explorer will be my next guitar. It has a prestige neck, and a mohogany body I think.
Quote by FJM2C

Another problem I've got with ibanez is that most of their more affordable guitars are basswood - I prefer the tone of mahogany or alder. QUOTE]

that's the magic of electric. you can make it sound how you want with the right amp

*Laughs at n00b*

To the thread starter:
Locking trems are kind of a bitch to tune, but as far as restringing goes, they are pretty easy and the only problem I've ever had was with changing guages.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by dustinp

*Laughs at n00b*

To the thread starter:
Locking trems are kind of a bitch to tune, but as far as restringing goes, they are pretty easy and the only problem I've ever had was with changing guages.

you've got to turn after you restring
Quote by Man_In_The_Box
the best flat neck with large frets is probably a 60's gibson, but those are insanely expensive, but ESP guitars are known for their speed, and schecters are nice too.
Dickless.
Are we talking "Heavier" like Weight-Wise or "Heavier" like Music-Wise? because for weight...Of the 13 Guitars In my House...two immediatley come to mind;
?My 80's Gibson Exporer
?My Father's Early 90's Fender Custom-Shop one-off Full Solid-Ash body Stratocaster...It came with some really wild components too...the pickups were non-production Lace Sensors (Meaning Different from the ones that Fender Sells to the Public), a Wilkenson Roller Nut, Wilkenson E-Z Lock Machine Heads, Some Prototype Piston-Driven Tremelo (this was a SUPER-EARLY Prototype of the HipShot Tremsetter)...& a Whole bunch or other S???......

I SWEAR that Stratocaster Out-Weighs his Combo 210 Fender Vibro-Verb Amp, or his Fender Deluxe Reverb, or any of his other Vintage 1960's Fender Tube Amps...it weighs like 70 Lbs. (Give or take like 5 Lbs.)

For the OTHER kind of Heavy...Jackson is the ONLY Choice...I HAVE Ibanez RG-Series, I HAVE Fender Stratocasters, I HAVE a Gibson Explorer from like '87...They all BLOW Compared to my Jackson Pro Randy Rhoads RR3...
R.I.P.:
Randy Rhoads (December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982)
Dimebag Darrell (August 20, 1966 – December 8, 2004)
Les Paul (June 9, 1915 – August 13, 2009)
Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)
Schecter or ESP all the way. They are pretty well done for their prices. I would go for one of those. You could always buy a cheaper model and upgrade the pups anyways if you are worried about price.
Well, you said you liked the feel of Jacksons, so why not check out some Jackson V's? They have to styles I believe. A trditional V shape and the Randy Rhoads V. I personally like the offset RR V's...
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar