Dude, i honestly think i can play really good for only plaing for 2 and a half years and Not haveing a teacher or learneing theory (which i think is complealty unnessesary.) But, I feel as if I'm not moveing ahead at all. Whats up? Have I met my limit so early. Please help me out with this ****, cos I'm kinda gettin' pissed.
Thanks folks
I'm gonna drive all night, take some speed. I'm gonna wait for the sun to shine down on me. I cut a hole in my roof in the shape of a heart snf I' goin' out west where they'll appreciate me"

Click this if you like men!
yeah i've had that feeling with guitar. but now what you have to do is, learn theory. if you know a bit of theory (or learn a bit), then as you start trying to emulate the godly bassists (flea, sheehan, etc.) you can start to see how the theory plays in. then the theory stuff comes naturally. i'm still on that road, but yeah.

also, try branching out to bass genres you're not used to. ie: jazz. or funk. or just ridiculous slap bass.
=deportivo=

"so this guy woke up with 6 different girls on 6 days of the week?"
"yea, isn't that crazy?"
"he must be god"
"...and on the seventh day he rested"
sorry, my eyes must've messed up on me. that happens after making poster-making on photoshop for a while, eyes blur out on words and just focuses on them as shapes. WELL then.

guitar:
pretty much once you've got the basics down, and every guitarist usually does if they can stick to it for two years, you've got to become an expert at techniques and theory. there's no other way.

for theory you dont HAVE to stick by books and learn scales like boring math. but you should try to learn major sclaes ,minor scales, and your pentatonic scale. that should be in every guitarists repetoire. once you know that, just try playing all the songs you ever thought were awesome. and then try soloing over them (depending on genre of course). also, try playing witha band.
=deportivo=

"yea, isn't that crazy?"
"he must be god"
Learn theory either way. Trust us. You need theory. You dont have to learn everything you'll ever need to know about theory all at once, but get the basics. Once you learn basic theory, your versatility will skyrocket. You'll see a drastic improvement in what you can do once you know what youre doing.
You know the bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar
You're the BLESSED, we're the Spiders from Mars!

Member 3 of the "Mick Ronson Is an extremely Awesome Guitar Player" Fanclub. PM ThePurpleRabbit to join.
What is concidered basic theory?
I'm gonna drive all night, take some speed. I'm gonna wait for the sun to shine down on me. I cut a hole in my roof in the shape of a heart snf I' goin' out west where they'll appreciate me"

have to agree with above, theory is so important. I feel like an idiot for not understanding that earlier

It really helps you, I promise
major scales
minor scales
pentatonic scale
blues scale, variation of the pentatonic
intervals
note lengths (whole, half, quarter, eighth, sixteenth, 32nd, etc.)
time signatures/moods (4/4, 3/4, swing, 7/8, 12/8 and other craziness)
=deportivo=

"yea, isn't that crazy?"
"he must be god"
So many theory obbsessives complain about people like me, but i think it messes with origionality. Its not arrogence i have. Its just that i want to keep my original sound.

classic response of someone who refuses to learn theory. i used that too. but the thing is, theory doesnt make you stick to anything. theory just lets you know how notes work together. and once you know they work together, its all about "hm i want this to sound sad. do this chord. oh i'd like an unresolved chord hook here so once i get back into the chorus its all the more intense, i can use this chord and have the bass do this line to lead into the chorus"
=deportivo=

"yea, isn't that crazy?"
"he must be god"
Quote by zwart_gitaar
So many theory obbsessives complain about people like me, but i think it messes with origionality. Its not arrogence i have. Its just that i want to keep my original sound.

well I think alot of people have been in my situation and don't want you to make the same misstake. I ignored theory for so long, thinking in about the same way as you. When I finally took it up my guitar playing improved more in a month than it did in a year without theory...

Really, when I look back the only thing I was doing was playing tabs and some scales (without understanding why). And the only thing that got me was that I was abit more "comfortable" around the guitar. But that's about it. If you want to play tabs for the rest of your life I guess you'll be fine without theory, it's up to you really. Some people can become good musicians without theory, but those people usually discover certain patterns etc while they play around, things they could have learned in 5 minutes if they had only read that certain part of theory
if anything, it can make you more original
=deportivo=

"yea, isn't that crazy?"
"he must be god"
Alright. Ill do it. I already learned the major, minor and blues scale. So your sure this will help?

Quote by zwart_gitaar
Alright. Ill do it. I already learned the major, minor and blues scale. So your sure this will help?

I promise you it will help, but don't approach it like that. "I already learned this and that". Learning the tab to a scale isn't going to help you. You want to learn and understand the patterns for an example. If you want you can pm me and I'll give you some urls and advice, I'm not that good myself yet but I've been at it for a while now
oh absolutely. you may not feel the results straightaway, but you'll see 'em definitely.

the thing that people forget about the guitar is that its an INSTRUMENT. every instrument has its own theory and technique. the thing about guitar is everyone can learn the basics without learning the main JOB of an INSTRUMENT, which is to make MUSIC. and if you dont learn the MUSIC then you cant do anything.

and unless you learn that, you cant advance much. i mean, who has ever heard of a pianist who can't read music? of coruse there are the geniuses (genii?) of music that can play and honestly say they've never learned an ounce of theory. but the thing is, they can FEEL the theory. they KNOW it, innately. but for the rest of us that can't do that, all we can do is learn the theory and catch up.

i mean, i only started seriously caring about theory about...half a year ago? already my ears are much better at recognizing notes that other people play and stuff. because of this, i can make better lead/solo parts even when we're just jamming. and my singing used to be crap, it still is, but i can hit notes and even do harmonies. and the songs i was working on, and was stuck on, now have endings and such beause theory helped me out with feelings on the instrument.

also, as one more tip, try figuring out songs on your own on the guitar. doesnt have to be complicated. try mary had a little lamb, jingle bells, the pink panther (if you know it). and then once you get the notes and it sounds right, compare it to the scales, and you'll see how much more sense the song makes, and you can take that learning and apply it to your own songs
=deportivo=

"yea, isn't that crazy?"
"he must be god"
for me... theory doesn't hurt my creativity at all.

I don't know a ton about theory, but I know some, and I'm learning more everyday. the more I learn, the more tools I have at my disposal when it comes time to get the music out of my head and onto a fretboard.

I never rely 100% on theory, though. I'll play around on the guitar until I find something that sounds good... then I'll use my theory knowledge to figure out why it sounds good... and I'll build a song around that.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Theory is extremely important.
Scart learning scales (pentatonic, major, minor, relative), barre chords, how to form chords, look into other genres (jazz, blues)
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
Ok, that stuff about theory messing up creativity/originality is crap. Because no matter what you make up, if it sounds good, or even if it sounds bad for that matter, there is theory behind it.

Start by learning the steps of the major scale (you know, do re mi fa so etc)

Than learn the minor scale (An easy scale, but it sounds awesome and alot of famous licks come from this scale)

Than learn pentatonics (easiest scales, used in blues and are common in rock and roll)

Than learn about Modes (see if you like the whole idea about modes)

Learn even more scales, more interesting or exotic scales.

And thats just the basics.