I was thinking of buying a Fender MIM Strat and customising it to my specs. I was just wondering what tools I would need to install an OFR (to replace the vintage trem) and the locking nut. I also want to make the floyd recessed (so I can raise the pitch too!)

Also, how hard would it be, and what would be an appropriate workstation (proper bench, garage) what would work?

Thanks a bunch fellow UG'ers!
Last edited by wylde_overdrive at Jul 1, 2006,
most essential piece of equip: router, and itll be a fair amount of work. just buy a guitar with a floyd rose.
Quote by metal_man12
itll be a fair amount of work. just buy a guitar with a floyd rose.

What kind of a GB & C forum answer is that?
Yeah you'll have to be pretty handy with a router, everything else is common sense.
You can get the dimensions and working drawings from the floyd rose site if you need em.
Originally posted by: rich sg
And God said unto Jesus: "Son, is there anything you want to talk about?"
And Jesus replied: "Get off my back, Dad! Judas Priest your such a frickin' homophobe! FACE!"
And so Jesus was crucified.
Try a DIY shop. I'm sure you'll know a website. I don't actually know what DIY shops there are in canada 'cos i'm in the UK.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I looked at the routing templates and it looks REALLY hard...

I really want to customize a strat though... ugh, don't know what to do!
do you know anyone who can do this sort of thing for you?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
u can buy a mexi strat already with a floyd cant you?
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
i think it is. btw your going to need to fill up the 6 holes from the old vintage trem and drill new trem anchor holes. so your going to need a router, routing template, and possibly a drill
well i suppose you could buy the strat floyd then recess it yourself.
EH

Quote by wylde_overdrive
I looked at the routing templates and it looks REALLY hard...

I really want to customize a strat though... ugh, don't know what to do!
Why not just buy a MIJ/CIJ Fender Strat that already has a FR on it and then customize it? Here's mine which started off as Candy Apple or some bright Red with a White PG and I re-painted it a glossy Black and installed a Black PG and knobs ... they look way better with the Black covers of the DiMarzio PUs.

wow, i never noticed the FR on your black strat Ippon, thats awesome and to the threadstarter to do this you will have to either buy that FR strat and recess it yourself, buy a normal strat and route that or go on www.warmoth.com and get one there, it will be expensive but im pretty sure you can get them to route it for you, or maybe find a local luthier to do this for you