I used to play with some really heavy strings on my SG, and the neck was adjusted for them. They were like 54-11's or something, and I played it 1 step down.

I changed back down to 52-10's, and I just play in Eb now, so the neck is a bit different, since I haven't readjusted it yet, and I get buzz in someplaces.

So I wanted to change the truss rod a bit. Should I adjust when the strings are in there? And how should I adjust, so that when the strings are on, the neck is perfectly straight?
fist adjust the action at the bridge. (not sure ur guitar type.)

get the strings to there best possible height to ur preference.

then leaving the strings on, u need to measure the neck angle see how straight to make the neck.

u can leave a little bow in it. depends how ur used to playing.

after u adjust the action...

Fret the Low E on the 1st fret.
at the same time fret the Low E at the 17th. about where the neck meets the body.

with both places held, look at the middle frets. around 7-8th.

if the string lays on the fretwire there u dont have enough gap.
if the string is more than a credit cards width up from wire there, u have too much.

if there is too much gap ull want to turn the nut a 1/8" turn. a very small amount, in a CLOCKWISE direction. (u might want to detune the strings a little. )
and dont force the turn.
after u turn it, then wait an hour or so, tune up and remeasure.
readjust action if needed.

repeat this process until u get a more straight neck.

if u have a strat or trem bridge. ull need to tighten the springs in the back cavity, making the bridge pretty flush to the body of the guitar, prior to adjusting the truss rod.
there are two screws in the back u tighten to do this.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I have an SG, so adjusting the height at the bridge is a s snap.
i'll try this all after i get back from work, but it shouldn't be a problem. thanks alot for being so specific!

btw, in reference to your sig, i'm like that too. i go to a hookah bar with my friends and pick up and clean the hot coals with my left hand, haha. i did it, and my friends was like, oh that shouldn't be too hot. so he picked it up and was quite surprised to find that it was.
Just be really ****in careful because if the truss rod breaks, your down a looot of money. Id bring it to a pro and have them show it to you first hand (and trust me, itll help)
LAf, ok forsaknaz..., check it out. if ur unsure, just repost.

and yep, always be careful when adjusting a truss rod. ^
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011