I'm looking to get a new bass once I get some cash, but I can't decide which one to pick. Both are about $750 canadian, and i'll be playing mostly metal. If I was going by looks alone I'd probably go with the ESP. But I'm wondering if the Dean has some godly redeeming quality.
Last edited by Dmista at Jul 1, 2006,
Well I'm currently the proud owner of an ESP DF 404 and have no experience in Dean.... However my advice is go for the Dean on the grounds that since the Tom Araya one is a signature model, the general assumption there is that it's designed for a Tom Araya sound, whilst with the Demonator you can be a bit more varied... But that's just me.
I've driven 102,888 extra miles for every 1 mile an environmentalist has walked....
I assume you're tlaking about the TA-600 and the Dean Dementor 4?

I'd go with the TA-600. It has a 35" scale, so it'd be good for drop tunings like you do in metal, and even in standard you get a nice tight EADG which can handle your playing.

It's got a malpe neck & body, which I guess is cool for standing out of the mix. The TA-600 also features 24 frets, and EMGs isntead of crappy Dean stock pickups.
haha
They DO have the 600, only thing wrong is that it's 1100 bucks. I'm leaning towards the Dean right now.
Oooo, I dunno. Sure you cant save another 400? It will be worth it. If not, the Dean is still a mighty fine piece of bass guitar.
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Quote by Dmista
They DO have the 600, only thing wrong is that it's 1100 bucks. I'm leaning towards the Dean right now.

No it's not. That's the MSRP. The actual retail price is about 840 and that can certainly get haggled down even more.
haha
Well the site I'm looking at says 1100 bucks. I figured Axe Music was kind of a ripoff. They don't have any razorback basses either.
eww i dont like deans very much ive played one and had a bad experiance
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by Dmista
Well the site I'm looking at says 1100 bucks. I figured Axe Music was kind of a ripoff. They don't have any razorback basses either.

Even if you're in Canada it shouldn't be that much.
haha
Well, it is 1100 bucks. They don't have much selection for bass guitars, so it's the TA-200 or Dean Demonator 4.
You could always go with the B-500 instead. Essentially the same thing. Same pickups, same scale. Same color. Just no inlays, and no signature. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-B500-4String-Bass?sku=516776
Be your own person. Get the 500.

EDIT - or the Razorback. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Dime-Razorback-4String-Electric-Bass?sku=519354
Quote by BaSsReBeL171

guess what i would do to you with 2 twizzlers, a lemon, and a pack of hershey kisses.

It wouldnt be pretty
Last edited by gilgalad1138 at Jul 3, 2006,
Musiciansfriend ships to Canada? Oh jeez, I'll take a look there.

EDIT:Wow, lots of selection, no idea what to get. Any reccomendations for around $750?
Last edited by Dmista at Jul 4, 2006,
^ ESP/LTD B405 or B404, or DF404, or Suveyor-400.

Or you can give the razorback a try.. i'm curious how it is
haha
http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?SKU=IK5TKFXXX

If you could save up a little extra money, its actually a very, very good bass.

Or of course, you could try an SR500!
I haven't really seemed to find a Dean or ESP I liked. So, right now, I'm under the impression that they arn't the best of companies.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.