my friend of thinking of buying a bass. his budget is around $120 USD(converted from japanese yen), and his choices are:

SX FJB-62K

【SPECIFICATION】
BODY: ALDER
NECK: MAPLE
FINGERBOARD: ROSEWOOD
PICKUPS: ORIGINAL PB-type ×1
CONTROL: 1VOL? 1TONE
TUNER: VINTAGE type

or

K-Garage J-Bass

BODY: PAULOWNIA
NECK: MAPLE
FINGERBOARD: ROSEWOOD
PICKUPS: ORIGINAL J-Bass PU
BRIDGE: ORIGINA

both are the same price, and I'll be trying them out at a store soon, but I have 2 questions:

1. Is there a nyone who played SX guitars(the rondo music ones)?? are they any good for the price??

2.What the hell are "Paulownia" bodies? i looked it up at wikipedia, but are they supposed to be used for guitars? i heard they were very lightweight, but are they good guitar bodies?
Fender Mex Cyclone HH
**ZOOM G7.1ut**
Yamaha COD-100 Overdrive
Big Muff Pi USA
Danelectro Chorus
Behringer EQ
Dinosaur Heavy Metal

member #4 of the "can't we forget about punk, emo, metal, and all the other subgenres and just ROCK?" group
Last edited by zoltan256 at Jul 1, 2006,
I'm tellin you right now that SX's are bad. My friends SX broke and she only had it for about a month. If your friend wants there bass to last, go the K-Garage.
MY GEAR

Cort G200 Strat Copy
Epi SG Deluxe (hand-made)
Washburn Dreadnaught Acoustic
Behringer GMX210
Laney HCM10
Zoom GFX-707
Behringer UM100
Behringer TO800
Crybaby Wah
man, go for the K-Garage J-Bass, it looks way better and what November Now said, you want your guitars to last.
RED BLOOD HOT SUGAR CHILI SEX PEPPERS MAGIK
i prefer the sound of a jazz bass, although i've always heard good things from the users on here about the sx basses
Quote by slayaplaya

(oh! maybe some one will sig that witty comment! maybe not...)
Im gonna streangthen the opinion even more by recommending (not from experience) the J bass, plainly because it most likely has a far more versitile tonal range and when your playing it you will look like Tim Commerford.

NUFF SAID?
the J Bass...
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
well, theyre both cheapo basses...(but new) hes planning to get a Jazz bass anyway, but how about a SX Jazz bass?(compared to the K-garage) oh, and none of the basses come with the amp and are the same price.
Fender Mex Cyclone HH
**ZOOM G7.1ut**
Yamaha COD-100 Overdrive
Big Muff Pi USA
Danelectro Chorus
Behringer EQ
Dinosaur Heavy Metal

member #4 of the "can't we forget about punk, emo, metal, and all the other subgenres and just ROCK?" group
k garage
Quote by samlynch
nothing can beat rhcp albums. not even rhcp albums.
sx basses are good stuff, and the customer service is fabulous. to the guy above, your friend shoulda been smart and sent it back as a bum deal. but the shipping to japan is probably gonna kill that 120 dollar price range.
Seriously get the K-Garage its gonna b heaps beta then the SX. Just stay away from that brand completely. The rythem guitarist in my band has a SX electric and it sounds soooo bad. Even my cort sounds better. There's an idea find a cort.
MY GEAR

Cort G200 Strat Copy
Epi SG Deluxe (hand-made)
Washburn Dreadnaught Acoustic
Behringer GMX210
Laney HCM10
Zoom GFX-707
Behringer UM100
Behringer TO800
Crybaby Wah
Everyone here who does not like SX, listen to this:
There is a $120 price tag for a reason. The people over at SX manufacture their basses in Japan, where it is cheap to build instruments. They also DO NOT set up their instruments straight from the factory. That means, there were no bridge adjustments, neck adjustments, truss rod adjustments, etc.

I will bet you $120, that if your friends set up their basses and put a new set of strings on them, they will sound just as good as a MIJ Fender.

SX basses aren't bad, they are just poorly set up. The materials are there for you to tweek. That is the logic behind SX.

I have never heard of K-Garage. Any guitar company without a repetition is never very reliable. Tell your friend to read this thread as well:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386570 before deciding between the two. Jazz and Precision basses are two totally different beasts.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.