Got me some Rotosound Swing 66 bass strings for my Spector Performer. I always use this company, but this time the strings seem unbelievbly rough, making it hard to slide, and weirdly enough, my fingers are mega dry after playing them....

What's up? And how can I "moisturise" my strings?
I've driven 102,888 extra miles for every 1 mile an environmentalist has walked....
Fast fret? I wouldn't know anything about basses though
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Yeah I got this cleaning/ lubricating wax (even though it has no wax in it ) that can be used on any part of any instrument, including the strings -- it would be perfect for what your looking for.
So basically I'll be lubing my bass?

Seems Ok, but I've got a gig tonight so I'm gonna have to improvise on that... Cheers.

Any other suggestions?
I've driven 102,888 extra miles for every 1 mile an environmentalist has walked....
If you've got a gig tonight i would put your old strings back on, you'll be constantly thinking about it otherwise. They probably just need wearing in for a bit. you could try fast fret, but not sure how much it would help. When you say rough, are they not wound properly? My friend bought some strings once and they were fcked, he took them back and got a different set which were fine.. I guess it happens some times...
I just purchased DR Hi Beams. And I am in love. They STILL have that "new string sound" after 3 weeks of extreme use. They have lasted me for a long time, and I don't think I will ever change to a different brand ever again. The only downside is the $35 pricetag. If you have that kind of money, buy a set. They will probably last you for months!

And a few string tips:
1) ALWAYS wipe off your strings when you are done
2) Never play with dirty fingers
3) If you are sweating a lot, try to wipe down the strings every half hour or so
4) If the strings sound dead, try boiling them
5) After you are done playing, put your bass in a gig bag or case so that the elements do not wear down your strings.
6) Clean off your fretboard with a wet cloth between string changes to keep your new strings clean

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
^^ added to above, if your fingers sweat like **** (mine do), then use rubbing alcohol... I use jack daniels, though

Waste.
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
I just purchased DR Hi Beams. And I am in love. They STILL have that "new string sound" after 3 weeks of extreme use. They have lasted me for a long time, and I don't think I will ever change to a different brand ever again. The only downside is the $35 pricetag. If you have that kind of money, buy a set. They will probably last you for months!

And a few string tips:
1) ALWAYS wipe off your strings when you are done
2) Never play with dirty fingers
3) If you are sweating a lot, try to wipe down the strings every half hour or so
4) If the strings sound dead, try boiling them
5) After you are done playing, put your bass in a gig bag or case so that the elements do not wear down your strings.
6) Clean off your fretboard with a wet cloth between string changes to keep your new strings clean

i'm gonna have to try those Hi Beams!
and you're tips are good, solid advice.
you go, Inky!
I got a set of Swing 66s a little over a week ago, and while they were rough at first, after a little while of playing them and breaking them in they play just fine. Now i don't ahve any problems with them, so maybe you jut need to break them in a little more.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
^The problem with them for most people is, that they break in too quickly.

A damp peice of paper towel works for me... i never was told how to do it correctly, but it works for me. The end product is a brown peice of soggy paper towel.

i use an alcohol based cleaner(windex) to remove the grime, then a lemon oil based
fretboard oil. mineral oil will also work. you can buy a kit for around $10-$12 bucks.
a cloth dampened with water, will not harm the fretboard as long as you wipe it off
quickly, and apply the oil.