Page 1 of 4
Can someone please explain to me the appeal of metal? To me, it just seems like a bunch of creepyass dudes screamin their asses off about how much they hate life. That and really ugly guitar playing. So can someone enlighten me to why they like metal? Im in no way bashing metal, i just dont understand it, and thus, i need an explanation.
because you touch yourself at night.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

you dont understand metal one bit, they dont scream about how much they hate life, thats screamo, metal hasnt got a specific type of singing/lyrics, its just that the guitar is very heavy and most of the time very cmplicated (compared to other music)
Metal is a release, playing fast and loud.
Watch Metallica: Live **** Binge and Purge , and tell me you don't like metal.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
i hate when people do these ignorant, pointless posts about musical genres in the electric guitar forum....
xxx

my rig:
-gibson les paul studio (sh4-bridge)
-peavey valve king 212
-electro-harmonix english muff'n
-roland micro cube
-digitech digidelay
-digitech grunge
-rocktron hush pedal
-fender pedal tuner
Quote by Punk_Ninja

you dont understand metal one bit, they dont scream about how much they hate life, thats screamo, metal hasnt got a specific type of singing/lyrics, its just that the guitar is very heavy and most of the time very cmplicated (compared to other music)

youre completely correct, i dont understand it at all. But, thanks for the enlightenment anyway.
Ask this in the metal forum... heh heh...
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by HeartInACage
To me, it just seems like a bunch of creepyass dudes screamin their asses off about how much they hate life.

What "metal" bands have you been listening to? I think you're getting genres confused.
Brazillian Thrash Massacre
Quote by Metallygod
What "metal" bands have you been listening to? I think you're getting genres confused.

Yeah, I may have. I realize now i was referring to death metal, which apparently, is an entirely different genre.

So how bout explainin the appeal of that? Because cannibal corpse seems pretty ****in disgusting..but hey, i may be wrong.
its just a genre of music, som people exprees their passion for music through blues, some through shred, some the classical, some by screaming their asses off, its no different than another genre.....it sounds different..but its all part of music

that didnt make any sense or help did it.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Black Sabbath? I mean c'mon. You aren't going off the rails.. on a crazy train?
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
i somewhat agree with the guy. metal has no appeal to me whatsoever. I agree, the guitar parts are good, but the vocals are so annoying that i refuse to listen to ANY metal. I CANNOT stand deep growls or any of that sht...it doesn't really strike me as music. Whenever I want good guitar, i listen to some nice progressive/psydelic rock, like say....The Mars Volta, or The Fall of Troy. THOSE ARE SOME DAMN GOOD BANDS.
Proud Egnater Fanboy

Favorite Bands

Periphery / Between the Buried and Me /
Ten After Two / Circa Survive /
Upon a Burning Body / / Bury Tomorrow /
Animals As Leaders / God Is An Astronaut

Proud member of the Seven String Legion.
Wow. Are you kidding me? It's an opinion, that's why people like Metal. You listen to RHCP, whom in my opinion, are one of the most boring bands I've ever listened to [if you even think of flaming me for that you can **** yourself]. See how easy it can vary from person to person?

ps. Metal > Any other genre

pps. To the guy above me, FoT owns, but they're not Psychadelic. What's up with the whole "low screaming isn't music"? Listen to Between The Buried And Me. They'd make Thomas cry and run home to Chelsey .
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112
Last edited by Jarrott at Jul 1, 2006,
Quote by KingsOfRonin
i somewhat agree with the guy. metal has no appeal to me whatsoever. I agree, the guitar parts are good, but the vocals are so annoying that i refuse to listen to ANY metal. I CANNOT stand deep growls or any of that sht...it doesn't really strike me as music. Whenever I want good guitar, i listen to some nice progressive/psydelic rock, like say....The Mars Volta, or The Fall of Troy. THOSE ARE SOME DAMN GOOD BANDS.

Yeah, Mars Volta's the sh!t
listen to it all dude you never know you might listen to a cradle of filth song and fall in love.i havent yet but you never know. and dude dont judge them by the way they look either. most musicians completely hate being stereo-typed.
xxx

my rig:
-gibson les paul studio (sh4-bridge)
-peavey valve king 212
-electro-harmonix english muff'n
-roland micro cube
-digitech digidelay
-digitech grunge
-rocktron hush pedal
-fender pedal tuner
Quote by tylerishot
Put this thread in the metal forum, see what they say .

that would be fun to see.

Some metal bands i like are Metallica, Children of Bodom, Dragonforce. check out some songs for thoes bands on that list. you might find yourself liking them.
Last edited by enjoi91 at Jul 1, 2006,
Quote by HeartInACage
Yeah, I may have. I realize now i was referring to death metal, which apparently, is an entirely different genre.

So how bout explainin the appeal of that? Because cannibal corpse seems pretty ****in disgusting..but hey, i may be wrong.

People have different tastes in music maybe?
like i have no idea why people would want to listen to country, a bunch of rednecks telling stories about their tractors.
but many people like country.
Brazillian Thrash Massacre
let me guess... You listen to either rap or pop-rock. Listen to Metallica, Ozzy, Stone Sour, System of a Down, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Cradle of Filth, or Breaking Benjamin and tell me the lyrics don't mean anything. And I can garuntee everyone in CC has more talent than 99% of the bands out there.
Dickless.
Quote by KingsOfRonin
i somewhat agree with the guy. metal has no appeal to me whatsoever. I agree, the guitar parts are good, but the vocals are so annoying that i refuse to listen to ANY metal.

You do realise that the style of vocals changes dramatically throughout the subgenres of metal, right?
Black sabbath? Ozzy? Come on... Really? You think sabbath is screamo? :*(
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
My recomondation:
Listen to Rainmaker from Iron Maiden.
Master of Puppets & Whiskey in the Jar from Metallica.
You gonna like it!
\\>Viva Los Tioz<//
if you ask that question, then you must ask why people enjoy country, or rap, blues. the notes and the sounds appeal the person who likes metal. plain and simple, you fucking idiot.
¤¤¤¤¤ ۩ ۝РЄŦĤ ۩ ¤¤¤¤¤
۩ ВŁĄÇĶŴĄŦЄŖ РĄŖĶ ۩

Quote by deadskinmask
I think you should listen to Bodom_Shredder7.

Quote by xolax
Listen to Bodom_Shredder, he knows what hes talking about

Quote by Alucard II
Bodom Shredder was right

SevenLastWordsOfChrist
Quote by MetalMilitia212
let me guess... You listen to either rap or pop-rock. Listen to Metallica, Ozzy, Stone Sour, System of a Down, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Cradle of Filth, or Breaking Benjamin and tell me the lyrics don't mean anything.

Well first of all man, Im not lookin down on those who do like metal, I just dont get the vibe you seem to get. You, however, are looking down on me because I supposedly listen to rap and pop-rock. I dont. I listen to Pearl Jam, Nirvana, RHCP, and the strokes to name a few.
Threadstarter, there are many, MANY type of metal. What you described, with growling and "ugly" guitar parts is probably thrash or death metal.

BUT metal can also be very beautiful. Just take a listen to some metallica songs, Like Call of the Ktulu, Orion, To Live Is to Die, or Fade to Black. Power metal, too - like Sonata Arctica - has plenty of singing and no screaming whatsoever. Dream Theater, too, has very clean vocals. What you described is more along the lines of Slayer or Slipknot.
Quote by Stiffy Maximus
obviously the guy who started this is a complete pussy who probably dosen't even play an instrument.

Er, obviously, you're an idiot.
How is that of any relevence at all?
listen to Painkiller by Judas Priest, and tell me you dont get addicted to that kickassery.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Quote by yawn
Threadstarter, there are many, MANY type of metal. What you described, with growling and "ugly" guitar parts is probably thrash or death metal.

BUT metal can also be very beautiful. Just take a listen to some metallica songs, Like Call of the Ktulu, Orion, To Live Is to Die, or Fade to Black. Power metal, too - like Sonata Arctica - has plenty of singing and no screaming whatsoever. Dream Theater, too, has very clean vocals. What you described is more along the lines of Slayer or Slipknot.

Yawn, thank you for the dignified post. I misspoke about the generalization about metal, and now I know better. Ill listen to the bands you recommended, with the exception of Slayer and Slipnot

Moose: thanks.
^^ Lol, no problem

My recommendations, if you want some "ear-friendly" melodic metal
(in progressing order of heaviness):

Sonata Arctica - Kingdom For A Heart, Fullmoon (very catchy stuff! )
Metallica - Call of the Ktulu, Orion, To Live Is to Die, Fade to Black
Dream Theater - As I Am
Megadeth - Symphony of Destruction
Pantera - Floods, Cemetery Gates
Anthrax - I Am the Law
Last edited by yawn at Jul 1, 2006,
Quote by HeartInACage
I listen to Pearl Jam, Nirvana, RHCP, and the strokes to name a few.

This Pop-Rock in my Opinion...
\\>Viva Los Tioz<//
Quote by Punk_Ninja

To say that metal guitar is more complicated than other kinds of music is like saying blueberry muffins are more complicated than other kinds of muffins.

Certain bands are "complicated" (whatever that means) regardless of genre, I have heard rock that is far more diverse and complex than metal.

My issue with metal is that there is a genre-wide issue with diversity of dynamics, guitar tones, and in general differing sounds.

Edit: Plus I have a hardcore melody fetish.
Quote by HeartInACage

CC is death metal, metal has MANY sub genras, possible more than any other music form on earth, I have a feeling you might like stoner/doom metal.

Check out some Orange Goblin
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Quote by yawn

Dream Theater - Symphony of Destruction

I do believe thats Megadeth your talking about, not Dream Theater.

Though both are excellent.

MEGADETH - Symphony of Destruction, Die Dead Enough, Tears in a Vail, 99 Ways to Die, Train of Consquences, Elysian Fields, Hangar 18, A toul le Monde(sp?), and many many more
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
Page 1 of 4