Page 1 of 2
I recently got back from a guitar shop in my town, and it just recently got a Paul Reed Smith in. I played it, it sounded pretty good, maybe $800-$1000, When I asked the guy how much it was, he told me $2500, which made it the most expensive guitar in the store. It played well, but not $2500 good, it looked nice, but not worth $2500, it had no type of trem at all, and had middle quality humbuckers. I searched it, thinking he was just ripping me off, they're actually MORE on the website. Can anyone tell me why these things are so ****ing expensive?
Dickless.
probably outstanding quality and crafstman ship...but i cant be positive on that because my shop cant afford to get PRS guitars
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

maybe, but it seems that they could make the same guitar without the insane price. And it's not the name thing like with Gibson, theres only a few artists who play them.
Dickless.
I own a PRS custom 22 and mine was $1800. It doesn't have the bird inlays, but still, it's probably my favorite and best guitar that I own. It plays incredibly smooth and it just sounds so damn nice. I'm not certain about the more expensive ones, though. Mine was definitely worth it.
Quote by DUP3R
People may hate me for saying this, but....

www.edromanguitars.com

oh yeah ive seen this site before it did a really good comparison between prs,gibson and heritage
gear:
Custom built Strat
Esp ltd EC-1000
Gibson les paul fadded dc
Line 6 spider II 30watt
Boss Ds1, DD6,Tu-2, NS
Alvarez af60ckelectro/acoustic
Well in case you didn't know PRS used to be for the most part entirely hand made, but in 1995 switched to CNC milling machines (basically computer automated routers) which would cut, carve, and do all the work. So... PRS charges handmade prices for a machine made mass produced product... in short never buy one new, and they're bastards.

Lol yea read the Ed Roman http://www.edromanguitars.com/rant/handmade.htm
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
PRs are great sounding, great feeling, quality guitars. Maybe not all of them, but the PRS Custom 24 Ten-Top 20th Anniversary I have is all of those. Its one of the best guitars I have played. Sounded and felt better than all Gibson Les Pauls and SGs I have played. The wood on this guitar looks so nice. I looked at my friends Gibson Les Paul Standard the other day, and the wood on his looked almost fake compared to my PRS. They may be overpriced and all, but they are just as good, and better than most Gibsons and if you are looking to spend that much on a Gibson, a PRS is a step up, in my opinion.
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
They may be overpriced and all, but they are just as good, and better than most Gibsons and if you are looking to spend that much on a Gibson, a PRS is a step up, in my opinion.

If I spend that much money I want more than just a "good" guitar...
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
PRs are great sounding, great feeling, quality guitars. Maybe not all of them, but the PRS Custom 24 Ten-Top 20th Anniversary I have is all of those. Its one of the best guitars I have played. Sounded and felt better than all Gibson Les Pauls and SGs I have played. The wood on this guitar looks so nice. I looked at my friends Gibson Les Paul Standard the other day, and the wood on his looked almost fake compared to my PRS. They may be overpriced and all, but they are just as good, and better than most Gibsons and if you are looking to spend that much on a Gibson, a PRS is a step up, in my opinion.

I agree that they're amazing guitars, but $2500 is more than an amazing guitar. $2500 is more awe-inspiring level.
Dickless.
My PRS is a Custom 22 Artist and it was $3000 out the door at guitar center.
The only reason I bought it was this particular one had absolutely great resonance.
I tried some others in about the same price range and they were all over the map.

The feel of the neck and playability is pretty average. Nothing special. The
workmanship is good. All in all a nice guitar. Not sure I love the pickups on it.

But, let's face it, these things are cranked out in a factory. I feel like tops my PRS
is at best a $2000 guitar. Even at the price I know if I spent some time looking
around I could find a nicer guitar. At $3000 it would be even easier finding
a MUCH nicer guitar.

So, bottom line I'd say nice guitar, terrible value.
when you get past $1500 differences in guitars are miniscule. They all better be built damn well for that much money, its just a thing of what feels good in your hands.
Yeah, past a certain price point you're into a place where it's the difference between
really nice and mind-blowing.

Also, a lot depends on the range of guitars you've actually tried.

My mind blowing guitars were my Gibson L5S, Super400 and Phiga Tiger. The PRS
just isn't in the same class (and it was more expensive than any of those).

THEN, I got an Alembic. The mindblowing class went up a notch after that.
Well, there's still the affordable SE series (oh how the SE singlecut looks nice ). I'm pretty sure once upgraded it could sound as good as an American made one. And then there's ebay.

I don't want to pay that much for a guitar unless it's actually custom built the way I want it.
Well I must say this I have played them all and as far as factory made guitars, PRS blows them all out of the water. To get a good price you need to shop around I would recomend Maken Music in Chicago or Willcutt guitars in Louisville. They tend to blow most places prices out of the water on PRS's. STAY AWAY FROM GUITAR CENTER. Guitar Center is the anti-Christ.
I once saw a PRS going for $8000 at guitar center. ludicrous.
1995 MIM Fender Strat
Breedlove AD25/SM Acoustic
Chandler Les Paul w/Duncan Alnico II-Pro & Pearly Gates
Little Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Crybaby
Vox AD50VT

Quote by CheeseMuffin909
Zakk Wylde.
He's like Elton John but with a guitar, more stylish clothes, and not gay.
PRS is way overpriced, no matter how good they look, feel or sound. Carvin makes the best bang for the buck for solid-body guitars.
Quote by PapaDelicious
I once saw a PRS going for $8000 at guitar center. ludicrous.

PRS 513s and Modern Eagles are actually about that. I think they might even be a bit more.
Thats ridiculous... i cant understand why people would spend that much on a guitar when they can get something cheaper and comparable (Carvin) for a helluva lot less.... i mean $8000 bucks!!
The guitar center in dallas texas claims to be the Number one PRS retailer.

They've got a 18000 dollar PRS mcarthy.
Holy...Jesus.
I think you can get high just by looking at it. Its the most gorgeous guitar Ive ever seen.
Didn't play it though.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
First Gibson, then PRS... I only hope Agile is next!
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Quote by StaggHound
First Gibson, then PRS... I only hope Agile is next!

err, are you talking about overpriced-ness? or lawsuits? or....?
Quote by seljer
err, are you talking about overpriced-ness? or lawsuits? or....?

About UG getting their collective panties in a bunch over perceived overpriced-ness.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
PRS makes very good guitars. It seems that people want them but may hesitate with the prices. If you took apart a PRS, Gibson, or Fender, there would be no rational way one could think that those guitars could command those prices. Nonetheless, PRS guitars are hot items due to their lofty price tags. It's all a suckers game and buying guitars in the 2K range is stooopid.
thats why i dont like prs... too damn expensive and some of the ones ive played actualy felt cheaply and quickly built.... but maybe that was just that one day.... idk. i have felt some pretty nice ones. so im not gonna rate their quality.... this time...

i like schecter alot more. some of schecter's designs reminds me alot of prs... just alot cheaper and the same quality.
the
music and soul of love and hope and light manifesting in our minds, trapping whats left of us in our hearts.
where theres nowhere to go.

Quote by I_Pwn
Ostin, you are the pwnzorz and my new hero for that flame.

and this is a guy who's name is "i pwn"
Ed Roman sucks for everyone who mentioned him, if you feel the need to ask why, don't, just believe me when I say it.

And PRS's are fooking nice. I played one that was a Green Tag at Guitar Center for $460 and it was the best playing guitar I've ever picked up outside of the Mustang I played in Rochester, NY. Great guitars, and their lower-end stuff is amazing.
Quote by JimiMan1535
Well in case you didn't know PRS used to be for the most part entirely hand made, but in 1995 switched to CNC milling machines (basically computer automated routers) which would cut, carve, and do all the work. So... PRS charges handmade prices for a machine made mass produced product... in short never buy one new, and they're bastards.

Lol yea read the Ed Roman http://www.edromanguitars.com/rant/handmade.htm

lmao
I TOTALLY agree about PRS having overpriced guitars. That gives it exclusivity along with the craftsmanship and overall quality of the hardware/sound you get from a PRS. It is a small price to pay when you found the guitar "for you". My '01 CU22 that isn't even a 10 top cost me $2000 in early '03. It's definantly the kind of guitar you have to WANT to pay for without a doubt.
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
Why is anything expensive? Because people buy it...I'm sure Ferarri (Ferrari?) could cut 30 G's off of the price tag of all of their cars, but what would be the point if people buy them anyway?
Quote by SuperAnalytical
Ed Roman sucks for everyone who mentioned him, if you feel the need to ask why, don't, just believe me when I say it.

Please, explain.

Did he put down your favorite guitar company? Did it make you sad? So sowwy...
Quote by DUP3R
Please, explain.

Did he put down your favorite guitar company? Did it make you sad? So sowwy...

Haha. I'd be glad if he did it to my favourite brand, he seems like he knows what he's talking about, so it'd be something to learn from.
Quote by Mascot
yuR a fAggit
Hey dude If you knew how rare those guitars are and how well built they were you would buy that guitar for that price and keep it for the rest of your life! I own a PRS Custom 24 and it can sound like a Strat and a Gibson Les Paul! They are sick and insane man. Trust me, You won't see many PRS's in your life time bro...
Quote by Ostin
thats why i dont like prs... too damn expensive and some of the ones ive played actualy felt cheaply and quickly built.... but maybe that was just that one day.... idk. i have felt some pretty nice ones. so im not gonna rate their quality.... this time...

i like schecter alot more. some of schecter's designs reminds me alot of prs... just alot cheaper and the same quality.

Your are dumber than ????. They are 80% hand made and each take about 1 year of aging for the wood's color to set in moron. I work at a Guitar Center in Ohio and I hand pick the PRS's we get from them. I talk to the people that build the guitars asshole
Quote by Zallon021
Hey dude If you knew how rare those guitars are and how well built they were you would buy that guitar for that price and keep it for the rest of your life! I own a PRS Custom 24 and it can sound like a Strat and a Gibson Les Paul! They are sick and insane man. Trust me, You won't see many PRS's in your life time bro...

I see PRS guitars constantly...nothing new/special about them.
Page 1 of 2