Page 1 of 2
I dont know if a lot of people notice this but people are always saying how the "newest" of a certain an artist album isnt as good as "the old stuff"

Alot of times its because of two reasons

1.Crappy musicianship/ sticking to a formula

2. Total overproduction in a cushy studio

So what are some bands that suffer becuase of this?

The Offspring
Metallica
In Flames
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Dream Theater starting with TOT.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
AC/DC. I love them, but they shouldn't have a new album. That goes for any Classic Rock Band.
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
^ you didnt read the thread did you?

I did. What I meant was that bands that have had their time, shouldn't carry on producing albums. They should just stop. Look at that album (single?) The Rolling Stones released. That was only bought by idiots and loyal fans who feel the need to own every album or vinyl. Thats what I see happening for AC/DC.
i think u just misinterpreted overproduction. he doesn't mean producing too much material, just doing too much stuff in the studio.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Quote by sirpsycho85
i think u just misinterpreted overproduction. he doesn't mean producing too much material, just doing too much stuff in the studio.

Oh. Damn i've said some retarded things tonight. Thanks for clearing that up.
Quote by Resiliance

What the christ!?!?!?!?!?

+1 to Metallica and In Flames.
weezer

after pinkerton it turned to crap

and i think that their new record could have been really good but it jsut seemed too overproduced to me....
hate to throw this one out there but

Pantera
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Quote by Cpt.Jackass
Oh. Damn i've said some retarded things tonight. Thanks for clearing that up.

actually reading it now, it DID seem like he meant bands that produced too much music. so yeah, metallica would be a pretty good example.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
I may be a little off because I haven't listened to any studio Ozzy in a while, but I think his production actually improved. I can't stand the production on most of his early studio stuff, but his latest stuff, although the cd's don't always have the best songs, are more listenable to me.

I'm not a big fan of Randy's tone in the first place, but it just seemed stifled in the studio, and the whole band just sounds meh.

As for bands that got worse, late Genesis got a little too slick for my tastes, but I think that was a combination of a pop direction that I didn't like too much, as well as the production. I enjoy pop music, but Collins has never consistently pleased me when he's in charge.
Quote by psychodelia
I may be a little off because I haven't listened to any studio Ozzy in a while, but I think his production actually improved. I can't stand the production on most of his early studio stuff, but his latest stuff, although the cd's don't always have the best songs, are more listenable to me.

I'm not a big fan of Randy's tone in the first place, but it just seemed stifled in the studio, and the whole band just sounds meh.

Yeah, the only thing lacking in those first 2 albums is tone and production, but Randy's flawless playing and note choice makes up for it IMO.
Quote by Resiliance

HHMMM... sorry but I have to disagree. I really enjoyed both TOT and Octavarium.
When they kick at your front door
how are you gonna come
with your hands on your head
or on the trigger of your gun
Quote by Cpt.Jackass
I did. What I meant was that bands that have had their time, shouldn't carry on producing albums. They should just stop. Look at that album (single?) The Rolling Stones released. That was only bought by idiots and loyal fans who feel the need to own every album or vinyl. Thats what I see happening for AC/DC.

do u have A BIGGER BANG? cuz if u listend to the album youd realize that it actually is a really good album......its just because of people that think just because a band is old means they cant make good music
What exactly makes an album "over-produced?" Does it have to do with its sound like how well it was produced?
Quote by cadmium_blimp
What exactly makes an album "over-produced?" Does it have to do with its sound like how well it was produced?

It usually refers to an album that focuses so much on the production that you can easily tell that it would've sounded fine without so much refinery done to it. Or, if you're going in the Radiohead direction, there are just a LOT of added effects (though in Radiohead's case, most of the effects are still relevant and sound great).
I suppose Metallica's Black Album would fall under this category; awesome album, but yes, stupidly over-produced.
I think one of the reasons I could never get into Megadeth's "Cryptic Writings" was because it was so refined... especially in the vocal department. Either Mustaine's voice was too loud, too clean, or a mixture of the two... I just didn't like it.
Modest mouse, however in the Moon and Antarctica the over production in the middle of the album contributes to the eeirie feeling. So overproduction can be good in some cases.
Quote by Big_MC
do u have A BIGGER BANG? cuz if u listend to the album youd realize that it actually is a really good album......its just because of people that think just because a band is old means they cant make good music

AC/DC made good music! [Insert incredulous look on face]

When did this happen and why is Satan not ice skating to work?
Quote by Draken
AC/DC made good music! [Insert incredulous look on face]

When did this happen and why is Satan not ice skating to work?

Dude, A Bigger Bang is a Stones album, not AC/DC.
My Chemical Romance.
"I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love" is an awesome album. I suggest people give it a listen before bashing MCR.
They're new album was bad though.
Also, Green Day. Kerplunk and 1039 SOSH are awesome. Later albums like Warning and American Idiot aren't anywhere near as good.
Quote by SalvForACowboy
korn
Think they went awry when they started covering hip-hop, not because they were overproduced.
Quote by SethMegadefan
Dude, A Bigger Bang is a Stones album, not AC/DC.

Contextual confusion oopsie still my statement still stands on AC/DC.
Quote by neidnarb11890
My Chemical Romance.
"I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love" is an awesome album. I suggest people give it a listen before bashing MCR.
They're new album was bad though.
Also, Green Day. Kerplunk and 1039 SOSH are awesome. Later albums like Warning and American Idiot aren't anywhere near as good.

I agree with you 100% on the MCr point. Loved the first album to death but was so dissapointed with the second. Over produced and filled with 'poppy' songs, the two albums are miles apart.
Quote by jaymyvendetta
I agree with you 100% on the MCr point. Loved the first album to death but was so dissapointed with the second. Over produced and filled with 'poppy' songs, the two albums are miles apart.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Quote by Silentnight66
Because this thread has Hitler and being hyper in it here's the fact of the day. Hitler was a meth addict.
Quote by Sum-182freak
Metallica
Green Day
The Offspring
SOAD

SOAD didn't get bad because of over production, they got bad because Daron wrote the lyrics and they lost all deep political/social meaning that Serj's had.
Quote by dazedandconfusd
Opeth (last three albums have been pretty meh)

Deliverance > your soul.
Quote by the glue man
NOFX
Leftover Crack

NOFX's new album is quite good, but it's got 4 stereotypical crappy songs like all of their records.

Metallica
Megadeth
Nirvana (Nevermind was good, but not very Nirvana)
AFI's new stuff is terrible... i used to love them, for like 7 years actually,

And Dave Matthews Band(my obbsession) there new stuf has had awsome guitar, bass and jams, but the lyrics are lacking the creativity that dave once put out. a good example, the song cant stop... great bass line,guitar and such, horrible lyrics
Page 1 of 2