About 3 days ago I got my crybaby wah original and a Boss DS1 distortion pedal.

Whats confusing me is that I can only get one sound out of this distortion. I have heard it used on the music section of my comcast on demand and they set all knobs to a little less half and used the volume on the guitar to vary the distortion of the sound. Less volume on the guitar gave that great "grungy" sound I'm looking for, while higher volumes are making a "cleanish" distortion sound which is all I can get. When I do the volume thing on the guitar all I actually do is adjust the volume and nothing else.

BTW this is a Boss DS1 and a PRS SE guitar as seen here
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Guitars-SE-EG-Electric-Guitar?sku=511962

The whole thing is stock except for the strings.

any ideas on why I can't get that mean "Grungy" sound out of this pedal?

I'm currently going from the amp to the wah, to the distortion, to the guitar. Even with the distortion in line alone I get just one sound.
power adapters are used on both pedals with high quality cords.

I'm starting to think its my stock 3 single coil pickups that's causing this problem. If that's the case I'll get these:
http://store.guitarfetish.com/casetof3lilk.html

I made a video and linked the audio to show what I mean when I say I'm only getting one type of sound...

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=887434952&n=2

When I recorded that video all I had on the line was the boss pedal...I took the wah out. I also had the tone at 5 on the guitar as well at the volume at 10, changing the volume does nothing at all but lower the volume in my case..., roland cube is set at about 1/4 tone, 3/4 volume, 1/2 gain, clean settings as for the model amp (acoustic) and a little reverb.

so as I asked in the middle of my post, any ideas on why I can't get that mean "Grungy" sound out of this pedal?

I'm looking for the same distortion as on the "R-Fier" setting on the Roland micro cube amp.

If you click this link youll get an audio sample of the amp and the "R-Fier" setting (first recording is what im after)
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=802

Thanks
Last edited by moody07747 at Jul 1, 2006,
your basically not going to get a good sound out of THAT pedal unless you have an amazing amplifier or EQ
....../ `---____________|] ~~~bang!
...../_==o;;;;;;;;_____.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
Quote by 94 hours
your basically not going to get a good sound out of THAT pedal unless you have an amazing amplifier or EQ

yea thats what i thought, so what pedal do you recommend to replace this one?
wow man that sounds really wierd. umm maybe try turning all of the knobs to the max? i dunno maybe its your pickups? sorry im not much help. o and yeah what kind of pickups are the lil killers? i mean are they reliable and stuff? cause i myself am looking to replace my strats pickups and those look like a good cheap choice.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
I agree with 94 hours,,,,,ds-1's pretty much blow,,,,,

EDIT: As for a pedal to replace it,,,Im not really sure,,,The R-Fier setting on the micro cube isnt really a "grungy" sound,,at least not to me. I think if you want that kind of sound look towards maybe a Line 6 Uber Metal,,,,Ive heard good things about them, Metal Zones are alright too,,,but they can be terrible for mixing sounds if you have two people both using them. I can't really direct you towards a grungy sounding pedal,,,,I've'nt any experience there
Last edited by rokket2005 at Jul 1, 2006,
Quote by moody07747
yea thats what i thought, so what pedal do you recommend to replace this one?

It's not the pedal, it's your amp.

I had the same problem...distortion pedals do not work well with modeling amps.

I think the Roland Cube has a clean setting that's not a model; try using that...it should work a lot better.

If it doesn't, you're out of luck
^o yeah i comeplety forgot about that. yeah with most solid state amps you have to run distortion pedals through the clean channels. and hopefully the clean setting isnt artificial or else it wont work
My Rig
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by red star
^o yeah i comeplety forgot about that. yeah with most solid state amps you have to run distortion pedals through the clean channels. and hopefully the clean setting isnt artificial or else it wont work

It's because it's a modeling amp, not because it's a solid state.
I got an ME50, I tried the DS-1 dist. Here's the results: for best results go Tone 10/10, Dist 5/10. Level 3/10. The reason is that ur tone dial always has to be more than ur distortion dial unless u want it to sound like crap. I tried ur knob combinations and they sounds exactly the same. So there's nothing wrong with ur amp or pickups. Just set the pedal to Tone-Max, Distortion 1/2 and Level 1/4 to 1/2. The distortion will start to buzz once ur tone hit the lows, so like I said: Keep the tone at the setting double the distortion.
i just listened to the DS2 at musiciansfriend.com....it sounds a ton better

i have never used the lil killer pickups....someone suggested them to me.

i might go with something else though but those are a killer price.

im just shocked by the sound of this pedal....i have heard nothing but great reviews from it.

oh well...upgrades are always fun too

and even better sounding imo is the boss Mega Distortion and its $10 less as well but searching yet some more i think i like the digitech grunge pedal
Quote by orion89
I got an ME50, I tried the DS-1 dist. Here's the results: for best results go Tone 10/10, Dist 5/10. Level 3/10. The reason is that ur tone dial always has to be more than ur distortion dial unless u want it to sound like crap. I tried ur knob combinations and they sounds exactly the same. So there's nothing wrong with ur amp or pickups. Just set the pedal to Tone-Max, Distortion 1/2 and Level 1/4 to 1/2. The distortion will start to buzz once ur tone hit the lows, so like I said: Keep the tone at the setting double the distortion.

that could be it....ya know theres some mods for the DS1 to up the tone,,,,ill try that now and ill plug directly into my KX1200 amp...not the cube
I don't think he meant that he had the cube,,,,,If he did, why would try to get the R-fier sound with a pedal instead of just using that setting?,,,If he does have a modeling amp though,,that most likely is his problem,,,however when Ive played through modeling amps before with pedal I havent had his problem,,,his sounds like he is sending it in stereo and only one is being distorted.
Quote by Vindication
It's because it's a modeling amp, not because it's a solid state.

im not saying your wrong but it still sucks with solid state amps. if you run a distortion pedal through the overdrive channel on most of the ss amps ive played, you get massive feedback and no note clarity. but yeah your right its even worse on modeling amps.
My Rig
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by red star

yep i had it set on clean
The sound clips on MF are misleading - you have to do a lot of EQing and mixing to get tones like that.
^^o.....i guess it is the pedal then. thats wierd because ive great things about the ds1. o well
My Rig
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
yea im sure they do a ton of audio work at MF.com but what the hell...ill just upgrade to either the boss MD-2 or the DigiTech Grunge Distortion Pedal

The reason im not using the amp FX is because i like to play songs and turn FX without stopping...guitar is one of those things where you have to use 2 hands at all times IMO
For ur EQ set everything to 6, and keep it on clean. That's what works for me, but I'm not sure as it might be sumthing different, as my DS-1 is different from urs. Btw, crit my song if you could, my thread's been dead. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6003876#post6003876
Thanks and good luck.

BC Rich Warlock
Peavey Rage 108 Trans-Tube Practice Amp
Boss ME-50 Multi-Effect Processor
Yamaha PSR-273 Keyboard
Quote by moody07747
im using all mono cords for my setup....you mean the putput of the ds1 is stereo?

i just did another test directly into my other amp...still the same thing.

No,,,I didnt mean that you were,,,I just meant that it sounded like it since there are two distinct tones. If you still have the same problem with a different amp,,,and that amp isnt a modeling amp,,,,I say its the pedal,,,,I've never gotten a sound out of a DS-1 that I was very happy with,,,,,but then I've never gotten it to sound like you did either.
Quote by orion89
For ur EQ set everything to 6, and keep it on clean. That's what works for me, but I'm not sure as it might be sumthing different, as my DS-1 is different from urs. Btw, crit my song if you could, my thread's been dead. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6003876#post6003876
Thanks and good luck.

What i could do is just take out the cube amp now and run though the EQ of my yamaha MG 10/2 mixer and the 4 band EQ of the KX1200 amp
Quote by rokket2005
No,,,I didnt mean that you were,,,I just meant that it sounded like it since there are two distinct tones. If you still have the same problem with a different amp,,,and that amp isnt a modeling amp,,,,I say its the pedal,,,,I've never gotten a sound out of a DS-1 that I was very happy with,,,,,but then I've never gotten it to sound like you did either.

thanks for clearing that up

ok i think im sticking with the DigiTech Grunge Distortion Pedal everyone, cheap and yet it sounds like its good...im going to get to the store and see if they have one i can try with my guitar first before getting one online though.
Stick with Digitech, but not the Grunge. Please don't do it.

DF-7 FTW. Trade in the Boss adn add 50 bucks to your expenses. It's totally worth it. If need be, check out my review of it in the reviews section.
i got it...

i did some EQing on the mixer and that didnt do it....so i turned the tone from the guitar from 5-0

it sounds much better now but i thing it could be even better with yet another pedal so im still going to get that DigiTech Grunge Distortion

its cheap anyways
Quote by SuperAnalytical
Stick with Digitech, but not the Grunge. Please don't do it.

DF-7 FTW. Trade in the Boss adn add 50 bucks to your expenses. It's totally worth it. If need be, check out my review of it in the reviews section.

ok ill look at that now

they always say you get what you pay for so maby i should not go cheap this time.

edit: im hooked on it already

sound clips metal zone and metal master at MF.com are just what im looking for.
crank the gain, bottom out the tone, and drop the guitar tone, use the neck pickup, and if you wish, tune down and you will get this deep growling metal sound. oh, play around with the distortion equalizer and different settings. if all of this fails, raise the pickups closer to the strings for more output.
Quote by moody07747
ok ill look at that now

they always say you get what you pay for so maby i should not go cheap this time.

edit: im hooked on it already

sound clips metal zone and metal master at MF.com are just what im looking for.

Oh, and expect a good splooge when you buy it my friend. A very good splooge.
I've heard Joe Satriani and Steve Vai both use unmodded Boss DS-1 distortion pedals. How come you say they suck?
Quote by americnidiot
why the f*** does that guy have a KFC bucket on his head?

Quote by slashnmash
its buckethead dummy!
use the neck pickup......thats a problem

the PRS SE has a 5 way switch and i was never told what each position does

i use the 2nd position if position one is where the switch is all the way to the back of the guitar.

it seems to give the best distortion.

btw, the KX1200 is not a guitar amp, its a keyboard/PA amp.

I mainly got it for my e-drums but it does work well for guitar if you have the right equipment for it.....which i probably dont lol