Hey, I'm new at posting here, I always just read. I have a question, (this may sound very noobish) but I have been playing for like 8 months, and now I am starting to notice that some of the greatest players ever play or played power chords in a different way I do.

(the numbers are the fingers not the frets)

I REPEAT- the numbers are the FINGERS, not the FRETS

Also, the first chord it's when the root of the power chord it's formed in the E string. The second power chord is when it's root is in the A string

The X on the E,B,G strings doesn't mean they are muted, just means they're not played. I put them because if I didn't, the last note from the other powerchord would've passed to the first one.

When I started, here's how I did them:

E|X
B|X
G|X 3
D|3 3
A|3 1
E|1 X

(Kurt Cobain for example)

This is how I do them now (this is what I'm comfortably with)

E|X
B|X
G|X 3
D|4 4
A|3 1
E|1 X

(I think Eric Clapton plays power chords like this)

And this, is the most used example I've seen in live videos of the best guitarists:

E|X
B|X
G| X 4
D|4 4
A|4 1
E|1 X

(Kirk Hammet, James Hetfield, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai .. a lot more)

Another, unusual, but used is:

E|X
B|X
G|X 2
D|2 2
A|2 1
E|1 X

It would be like a poll, which of these do you use ?

Ok, the thing I want to know is: which shape do you think I should get used to ? Should I stick to mine or any other ? and why ?
Last edited by l0ft at Jul 2, 2006,
well a "power chord" is a name for all chords you wrote i think, they can differe in many ways but the basic power chord/fith chord are what you play, thats because you use the first note and then add the fifth
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Remember that a power chord can only have the root and the fifth in there. I'm not positive but it looks like you've got things in there other than the root and fifth. If it's not root + fifth, it's not a power chord.
in the first example of the 3 shapes, the note on the G string should be next to where it is .. I noticed now ..
First chord in the first set is a Fsus4. NOT a powerchord. Second shape is a Bb5, standard powerchord shape.

First chord in the second set is a funky one. In F, we have 1-5-b9-11. Eh? NOT a powerchord by any means. Second shape is a augmented fifth interval. NOT a standard powerchord.

Third set just confuses me as to how anybody could call that a powerchord.

Fourth set is just ugly... b5 intervals aplenty ("aplenty" = 1).

Where did you get these "powerchord" shapes? They're way weird. The standard powerchord shape would be...

---
---
---
-3-
-3-
-1-
Powerchords ONLY have a root and a fifth. Two tones --- they may repeat, but that doesn't change the chord name.

If you're "seeing" how players play these chords, you have to take in the fact that you aren't seeing everything OR that you're seeing too much. Kobain used no weird shapes in his music, and clapton usually plays standard shapes as well, usually going beyond and making powerchords actual major or minor chords. You should get used to the standard shape I have above.

**CLOSED**

red
Looking for my India/Django.
^ it was closed because red cant read. the guy said his spacing was off, so they all should be powerchords but the misalignment caused by not using code caused some other chords.

lets see if i get these to look right. here are some chord diagrams:
 _ _ _ _ _      _ _ _ _ _
[b]1[/b]_|_|_|_|_|    |_[b]1[/b]_|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|_|_| or |_|_|_|_|_|
|_[b]3[/b]_[b]3[/b]_|_|_|    |_|_[b]3[/b]_[b]3[/b]_|_| how you started
|_|_|_|_|_|    |_|_|_|_|_|
            vs
 _ _ _ _ _      _ _ _ _ _
|_[b]3[/b]_[b]4[/b]_|_|_|    |_|_[b]3[/b]_[b]4[/b]_|_| now
            vs
 _ _ _ _ _      _ _ _ _ _
|_[b]4[/b]_[b]4[/b]_|_|_|    |_|_[b]4[/b]_[b]4[/b]_|_| satch, vai, etc.
            vs
 _ _ _ _ _      _ _ _ _ _
|_[b]2[/b]_[b]2[/b]_|_|_|    |_|_[b]2[/b]_[b]2[/b]_|_| unusual

personally i say use either the first or second shape, but get used to using both. there are times when you may want the pinky on the string for clarity (well, its crisper for me when i do it that way). other times you may want your pinky free to do something else, so its good to be able to barre the notes. rarely, if ever, do i barre with the second or fourth finger. i find it awkward, but if thats what you find comfortable then you should do that. really, its all about whichever feels most comfortable for you and gives you the best freedom of movement to play the song. at least thats my opinion on the matter.

EDIT: numbers bolded as per cor's request
Last edited by jof1029 at Jul 2, 2006,
The proper power chord shape is

D -3
A -3
E -1

I dont know what this is>>>

D -4
A -3
E -1

But it sounds terrible so dont use it!
^ did anyone actually read the threadstarter's post?
Quote by 10ft
(the numbers are the fingers not the frets)

thats whats confusing everyone. what he meant is to show the fingers and shape, not position. look at my chord diagrams, im almost positive thats what he meant.
Thank you jof, I didn't have time to do that since I've been feeling a little under the weather tonight, but I get the idea that your chord diagrams are what he wanted (if you don't mind, can you edit those and bold the numbers, it's a little hard to see the 1's).

I, too, would normally recommend either the first or second voicings. If your playing straight power chords, either of those will be easiest on your hands, and it really only matters as to what you feel comfortable with. If you're mixing major/minor chords in on top of your powerchords, the 1-3-3 fingering works well for getting to the major built from the A-barre (x-1-3-3-3-(1)); otherwise the 1-3-4- is generally more versatile for voicing the rest of the chords (ie. the E-maj barre).

I've never seen the pinky used to cover the two higher strings, personally, and I'm not sure that it's good for your playing, or your hands as it's a lot of pressure on the weak part of your hand. The 1-2 voicing you'll sometimes see if you want to reach out and grab the 9th or the 6th which in tab would look like:
e:----- or ----
B:-----    -----
G:--5--    -----
D:--3--    --5--
A:--1--    --1--
E:-----    -----
BTW, in the first post, I think you've got 1-4-3 for one of the second forms, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 1-3-4 was intended? If not, I wouldn't recommend putting your pinky above your ring finger, on the same fret, in any situation that I can normally think of.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
Had I read the phrase "the numbers are the fingers, not the frets," I'd be in a much better position to answer the question.

Looking for my India/Django.
but remeber, If you are playing metal etc you can make your power chords even heavier but use thge fifth as the "root"

for exampel. if you are playing a B...
G-(4)------
D--4-------
A--2-------
E-----------

you can play it this way instead.... same notes in the chord but it sound havier because the firth is in the bass. Dream Theatre do this a lot

D--4
A--2
E--2
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Generally I play power chords with my first and fourth fingers.
If it's just a basic power chord.
If you have something like say: (These are fret numbers, not finger numbers)

e--
B--
G--9
D--7
A--7
E--7
then personally, it's more comfortable to drop your 3rd finger down to the e note on the g string.

or if you have something like this:

e--
B--15
G--x
D--x
A--14
E--
Like is used in The Strokes' "Reptilia" it's most comfortable for me to use either my first and second fingers or my first and third fingers.

No worries though.
Whatever's most comfortable for you, as long as your getting a good technique out of which ever you choose.
I had to edit and add the code thing because many people didn't understand, only jof and a couple more actually read my first post right. So.. any more opinions ?

(plz warn me if this is bumping)
Last edited by l0ft at Jul 2, 2006,