Page 1 of 3
Les Paul. DUHHH. I'd say strat, but Strat can't play metal. I don't know this, but I odn't know any metal (Non instrumental or Ynigwe) who uses strats. In punk, There's Eric Melvin who uses les pauls, countless metalers, and rock alike.
Probably an Amoeba. You should get one. Only like 2 cents. Being serious.

For those of us who want a serious answer, an Alembic. Look at all the damn switches!
Quote by StevieRamone
Les Paul. DUHHH. I'd say strat, but Strat can't play metal. I don't know this, but I odn't know any metal (Non instrumental or Ynigwe) who uses strats. In punk, There's Eric Melvin who uses les pauls, countless metalers, and rock alike.

You understand that none of us care about your fantasy with being a fan boy, right? You also sound like a complete n00b. Please get opinions next time.

Oh yeah...

AND YNGWIE UNLEASHES THE FOCKING FURY ON YOU FOR SPELLING HIS NAME WRONG!!!!!!
its not the guitar its the equipment you use with it. i use a gibson es-335 for hardcore, nobody would think thats possble but with the right amp pedals and eqs you can
....../ `---____________|] ~~~bang!
...../_==o;;;;;;;;_____.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
Probably a LP, or a Quicksilver, seeing as they're marketed as the most versatile,they play great too.
EDIT: ^But you can't get a perfect hardcore tone from a 335. Any guitar can play any genre, but some do it better than others.
Quote by StevieRamone
, but I odn't know any metal (Non instrumental or Ynigwe) who uses strats. .

Iron Maiden
Quote by cray159
American Fat Strat

And it's more versatile then a Mexican Fat Strat because...?
i think you can play metal with a strat, you might not be able to shred, but shredding doesnt impress anyone on this board anyways
My Strat that I've modded so that their's a tone control for the bridge pickup too.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Alembics and Phigas. They have all kinds of inputs and switches and knobs and all that I dont think anyone knows what to do with. Also the Brian May Red Special has a bunch of switches, but they dont really make much sound difference, but maybe thats just me.
A strat with a humbucker in the bridge is very versatile. You can play pretty much anything with one.
Quote by SuperAnalytical
You understand that none of us care about your fantasy with being a fan boy, right? You also sound like a complete n00b. Please get opinions next time.

Oh yeah...

ynuguiwiewiechewbaccaooeiwiwie buttsting needs to change his name
Quote by mr_hankey
And it's more versatile then a Mexican Fat Strat because...?

The bridge can play country style music and lead guitar parts..
I suppose if anything they're just equal versatility
Quote by SuperAnalytical
For those of us who want a serious answer, an Alembic. Look at all the damn switches!

and then look at the damn pricetags
How about the Steinberger Transcale? That thing is very interesting, changeable scale, custom EMG pickups and electronics, lotsa of neat doodads...

ugly as sin.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
That schector semi hollow c1. Its got coil tapping, its semi hollow, and its got piezo's in the bridge. 24 frets. The only thing its missing is a floyd rose. But I dont know if its possible to have a floyd rose with piezos. Probobaly is, but I bet its very pricy.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
A guitar with three humbuckers each controlled by single pole/single throw (on/off) switches and a 6 throw, four pole rotary switch that would enable you to select nearly any combination of all of the coils on the axe.

It could be done. It's a lot of soldering, but it would give you over a hundred distinct tones.

Each humbucker could be configured either:

1) One coil or the other (coil splitting)
2) Both coils in series (in phase or out of phase)
3) Both coils in parallel (in phase or out of phase)

and the on/off switches would allow you to parallel the pickups with each other, so for example, you could split the neck pickup, put that in parallel in phase with the middle pick up which you could put in series out of phase and then put that in parallel with the bridge pickup which is also coil split.

Or you could just split the neck and bridge pickups and and put them in parallel with each other and get something like a Telecaster sound.

You get the picture. You would have a virtually limitless range of tones. The only reason I haven't done this myself is that I have done a similar job on my Guild solidbody (it has about 36 distinct tones) and I use about 5 of them. If I wired up my guitar for over a hundred tones, that's a lot of soldering and the pay off would be that I would pick about 5 or 6 tones that I really like and stick with them.
i would say a les paul or a fat strat.. i can play literally every style of music with my LP, and iwould imagine a strat, which is versatile enough anyway, with a bucker would be able to play anything as well.. oo and i agree with that other dude, it depends a lot on ur setup as well, but in terms of guitars, those would be my choices
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Quote by SuperAnalytical

Oh yeah...

^^^sigged

JACKSON

Quote by twistedsister
What is do you think is the most versatile guitar ? Why?

i would say the fender jazzmaster. the tone and tremolo, the two things i look at first in a guitar, are quite impressive. the neck is fast and i don't think that there's much that you can't get out of them. not to mention, they're sexy as hell.
Most any Fender Tele. I can play anything on mine, and yes, that includes metal.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
Yep, a Telecaster no questions asked. One of my friends brought in his dads old tele for jazz band and we ripped on that thing.
A Strat with a humbucker.

End of thread.
#2 Member of Fender Whore Club
Rig:
MIK Fender Strat
Traynor 40WR
EH Big Muff
Boss Blues Driver 2
Boss Phase Switcher 3
Quote by Stop Messin'
OHHHHHHHHHH man LMAO now that's what i call getting pwned.

Nice work Fender, seriously.
Quote by SuperAnalytical

Too bad Yngwie is a washed up old man who is quite possibly one of the most over-rated guitarists on the face of the Earth
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Quote by Fargalas
Everything about you makes me feel sick inside.

Same with me.
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

You could also wire your strat so that you could get all of the strat tones, plus you could have an on/off/on switch that selects an entirely different circuit and you could have that circuit controlled by another two position switch that works like this:

Position 1: Bridge and middle pickups in series, out of phase (humbucking)
Position 2: Bridge and neck pickups in series, out of phase (humbucking)

If you have never two single coils separated by several inches working together as a humbucker you are in for a treat, it is the juiciest tone you have ever heard, especially the neck/bridge configuration. That is the sweetest tone you have ever heard.

I actually had an American Standard Strat that I wired up to only work in these two configurations and no one could believe that they were stock pickups.

The only thing I didn't like about it was that I couldn't also select for the original strat tones, but I wasn't as good with wiring back then. Now I know how to do it.
Quote by EMBERtoINFERNO
Parker

nothing compares to the versatility of a parker. nothing. parker guitars are the most versatile guitars on the planet.
My Amazing Gear:
Parker PM20
Parker P-38
Ampeg R212R Reverbrocket
Yamaha YPT-300
Godin LGX-SA

2 Humbuckers.
Piezo saddles.
Hexaphonic synthesizer.

We have a winner .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Perhaps an Ibanez Rg with the peizos in the bridge and coil tapping, could absolutely hammer out all rock/metal, and would probably pass pretty damn well for blues/country etc, although I would definitely not claim to be an expert on some of those genres at all.
Just from the guitar standpoint, there's not much else that will touch an Alembic
for versatility. Looking at my Further:

Start with 2 Humbuckers and 1 Single coil.

EACH pickup can be turned on/off individually.

Additionally, EACH pickup has an "On-Bright" setting (3 way toggle: off-on-on&bright)

EACH pickup has a separate tone filter. Most amazing tone filtering I've heard.
They will take the pickup from Strat-Twang-On-Steroids to a mellow.

Open up the back and you can adjust the brightness filtering of EACH individual tone
pot to your liking.

Also, it has an onboard effects loop if you want to use it.

Finally, when it's dark, the side dot markers are LEDs that light up.

Hard to beat that for versatility!

Of course the pricetag is pretty hefty, but in this case you DO get what you pay for.
Page 1 of 3